I'm new to recording, but I've read a lot of stuff online, so I know a little bit. My question is, when mixing multiple tracks, where, generally speaking of course, would each track typically be panned? Usually, I double track the guitars, and put one track hard left, and the other hard right. That usually gives me a good rhythm sound. But I'm wondering about the other tracks (drums, bass, solos, vocals). I usually double the bass as well and pan it like 60% to each side, solos and vocals are usually one track and in the middle. I don't know if that's normal or correct, but that's what I'd like to figure out.
well usually, bass is center.
kick and snare are center
toms are panned left and right depending on the sound you want
overheads are panned left and right to give a sense of space
vocals are always center
generally, i have the solos panned to whichever guitar is playing, as i have 3 guitarists including myself, so about 40 left, center, and 40 right.
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
There are no set rules for this at all

Also 'drums' isn't just one track either - each cymbal, tom, drum and snare etc are mic'd up in different parts. If all the drum sounds are panned right in the centre it's not gonna sound very realistic. There should be a thread around here on micing drum sets but you could always just use VSTis

I've not heard of double tracking bass tracks before either.
Quote by chaoticfables
There are no set rules for this at all

+1

the things i put are what i generally do when i mix, and i've just been told that's the general pattern by my music tech teacher =3
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Yup, as long as it sounds whole and complete. People should be thinking 'Damn, that's a great song' rather than 'Damn, that's a great mix. I wonder how he panned those guitars' etc.
You can pan how ever you want. Drums are usually panned to represent how the kit is set up but they can be mono or the toms can be panned wider than normal.