Ok, so i've been playing for around 7 or 8 years now completely self taught and have pretty much played nothing but varied styles of metal. Now days I've grown up a little more and have been listening to a lot of prog, sludge and stoner metal style bands and I want to incorporate more of a sludgey kinda feel to my playing. More than anything just so i can write more interesting stuff. The only problem is no matter how many songs i learn or listen to I cant seem to break away from "metal" sounding scales and riffs which is sorta starting to piss me off. All I'm wondering is if anyone can throw a couple of good scales, chords, whatever my way to help me in the right direction, any help at all would be greatly appreciated, cheers guys.

Jay.
Quote by faint_spirit

^^^And I think you mean gateway drug. Not portal. If drugs were to create portals to other drugs, it would be pretty ****ing awesome.
learn some jazz chords. maj7 and dom7. then use the mixolydian scale. i love jammin with friends on metal progressions and randomly throwing in a jazz chord to do some mixo licks on. another thing you could do is make full chords instead of just power chords. since distortion makes it muddy to play more than 3 string chords on guitar, you can have 1 guitar play the 1 and 5 and another guitar play the 3 and 1 or 3 and 7 for that jazz sound. my favorite thing would be to have one guitar play 355XXX and another play X244XX so together they make a Gmaj7 chord. a really cool way to do it is have both guitars play just the 355XXX and then have one break away to the X244XX and then the first one will change to to complete the X244XX chord with XX022X to make a dom7 chord. dont do it too much though, or youll just end up with a jazz metal song lol. the dorian scale is also a really sexy scale
awesome! thanks man, i'll get strait on it. I totally agree on the split chords theory, have been playing around with a bit of that sort of stuff in recordings of late and you can get some pretty cool sounds. Cheers for the advice.
Quote by faint_spirit

^^^And I think you mean gateway drug. Not portal. If drugs were to create portals to other drugs, it would be pretty ****ing awesome.
That is very interesting. ^ Sz_Shredder, I think you should try that out lol. imma try it tomorrow. haha
Sludge and 'stoner' metal? You mean like Iron Monkey, Eyehategod, Early Black Sabbath and all that stuff?

If so it's genrally lower tunings, pentatonic scale riffs/solos (if any), 5th chords and a shite load of feedback.