Can anyone shed any light on these guitars, I mean are there any good? Theres one for £400 in my local music shop and when I saw it I was 0_0 thats a cheap Gibson. My interwebs research tells me that they were but a budget model made in the '80s and '90s but I cant actually find any reviews other than youtube vids of old men talking about them in a historical sense.

The obvious answer is to play it (and I will when Im next there) but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them.
like any model, there are some winners and some turds.

you have to play it to see if has the feel, tone, playability you desire.

i played a shitton of gibsons before i found the one i get along with enough to keep.

good luck.
^this.

for info's sake though, it was a budget model intoduced in the late '70s from the firebrand series, basically a flat-topped les paul with SG-style body contours, ebony fingerboard and a walnut body and neck. i think a lot of them had dirty fingers humbuckers, but i'm not entirely sure.

nonetheless it's not a collectors item, and gibsons of this era can be very hit and miss. the only recommendation i can make is play it and see if you think it's worth £400. but don't feel tempted to buy it just because it's got that "vintage gibson" tag - it's not likely to gain any resale value, but might be a real nice guitar for the money anyway.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
As stated, it was a flat-top, solid mahogany budget-line Les Paul that was really more of a Melody Maker. It was made in the U.S.A. and the quality was good. It was a bare-bones electric guitar. It looks remarkably similar to the Les Pault that Bob Marley used throughout much of his career. As I recall, "The Paul's" brother, "The SG," was a better guitar. This was probably because SGs didn't have carved tops and were solid mahogany anyway.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
^ this.
They were the Les Paul Studio quality level before they called them Studios. Nothing fancy just a bare bones rocker. As far as I know they only ever came in natural wood finishes too.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Quote by FatalGear41
As stated, it was a flat-top, solid mahogany budget-line Les Paul that was really more of a Melody Maker. It was made in the U.S.A. and the quality was good. It was a bare-bones electric guitar. It looks remarkably similar to the Les Pault that Bob Marley used throughout much of his career. As I recall, "The Paul's" brother, "The SG," was a better guitar. This was probably because SGs didn't have carved tops and were solid mahogany anyway.

actually IIRC the firebrands were made with walnut bodies and necks and an ebony fretboard.

the paul and the SG weren't really any different apart from the shape, btw
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp