try to use your palm to slightly mute the strings. its mainly just practice
Quote by Bernier51
try to use your palm to slightly mute the strings. its mainly just practice

I've tried that, but it ends up fully palm muting it. That didn't give me the sweeping sound (I tried "This War Is Ours (The Guillotine Part Two)" By Escape The Fate intro sweep) and it just sounded bad.. Isn't there some left handed technique? I heard a little about that but no one ever told me exaclty what it was all about.
As u sweep your left hand should deaden the notes after playing them before moving to the next string. Do it dumb slow til its perfect then slightly speed up till its in time with the track. Long process but it works. Try a different pickup selection too. Necks tend to pick up less while the bridge picks up everything.
Quote by david-vbhc
As u sweep your left hand should deaden the notes after playing them before moving to the next string. Do it dumb slow til its perfect then slightly speed up till its in time with the track. Long process but it works. Try a different pickup selection too. Necks tend to pick up less while the bridge picks up everything.

So when using the left hand technique, I just lightly lift off the note?

What if I go super slow, but it still rings out?

Neck pickup eh? thanks! =D I'll try that one! Never thought of that!!!
I've tried that, but it ends up fully palm muting it. That didn't give me the sweeping sound (I tried "This War Is Ours (The Guillotine Part Two)" By Escape The Fate intro sweep) and it just sounded bad.. Isn't there some left handed technique?

No, you use the right hand. Some part of it has to mute the lower strings (and not just for sweeping). If you're palm muting then you're doing it wrong and you need to experiment with hand position and the way you grip the pick.

That's it. No tricks, just mute better.
Quote by Freepower
No, you use the right hand. Some part of it has to mute the lower strings (and not just for sweeping). If you're palm muting then you're doing it wrong and you need to experiment with hand position and the way you grip the pick.

That's it. No tricks, just mute better.

How do I use the right hand? Like... It just ends up a dead note, or not muted at all. =/ Practice or something?

And I know I'm not supposed to palm mute. Does my palm go JUST toward the strings past the bridge?
It's not exactly practice, you need to find a position that works.

Try this. "Sweep" all the open strings, low E to high E.

You should try and find a right hand position so that as you pick the A string, it instantly mutes the low E, and so on, so as you go through the open strings, you have only one string ringing out at any one time.
Quote by Freepower
It's not exactly practice, you need to find a position that works.

Try this. "Sweep" all the open strings, low E to high E.

You should try and find a right hand position so that as you pick the A string, it instantly mutes the low E, and so on, so as you go through the open strings, you have only one string ringing out at any one time.

Ok thanks!!!

Is it possible to use a combination of both left hand AND right hand muting?