Since I was a teenager ferocious metal has helped lift my mood. It can turn negativity to anger, which burns/turns into something more like exhilaration, a positive feeling.

I'm thinking about writing a track for this specific purpose - called something like Burn The Anger, and have a few ideas for it I'd like to share, and maybe pick up a few ideas from other people.

It's got to be fast, heavy from the start with a strong riff - maybe after a cool, short intro. To build from this, rather than increasing speed I'd introduce dissonance, and then lay off, perhaps going back to the main riff with variations, in a verse / chorus form - with effects overlaid on the last repetition.

It would build to a euphoric finish.

What do you think?
I think you have the basis to make an incredibly fun song to play. Go for it man! make sure you post it if/when you finish!
do it. post it. I'll judge itXD

Tipps: Dissonance and Chords with halftone steps.
Rhythms that drive and Kick ass intros... Think like a drummer and military....
Use alot of distortion. Reach your maximum of speed and pressure...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IF YOU READ 'H' I MEAN 'B'

GERMAN H = AMERICAN B

it sounds like you are thinking in the style of thrash metal? I'm probably wrong.

I find a feedback intro quite cool in a serious song, maybe with some whammy abuse towards the end of the intro to cause tension and then just release into your 'fast riff'.

As for the dissonance it depends on what you mean, maybe you could supply a link to a song with that type of dissonance in it.

But overall it sounds like you have something in mind which is a good creative idea.
Keep us posted.
I think you're overthinking it. Just get angry and play. The best way to capture an emotion is to expose it through playing.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by Jehannum
Since I was a teenager ferocious metal has helped lift my mood. It can turn negativity to anger, which burns/turns into something more like exhilaration, a positive feeling.

I'm thinking about writing a track for this specific purpose - called something like Burn The Anger, and have a few ideas for it I'd like to share, and maybe pick up a few ideas from other people.

It's got to be fast, heavy from the start with a strong riff - maybe after a cool, short intro. To build from this, rather than increasing speed I'd introduce dissonance, and then lay off, perhaps going back to the main riff with variations, in a verse / chorus form - with effects overlaid on the last repetition.

It would build to a euphoric finish.

What do you think?

i call shenanigans. maybe i'm wrong but i'm getting a hint of the mode thread right now....
Quote by gavk
i call shenanigans. maybe i'm wrong but i'm getting a hint of the mode thread right now....

I feel like The Boy Who Cried Wolf! No, I'm quite serious about this piece.

It's a side-project that I'm working on while I do other stuff. Plus, I'm learning to use some new recording equipment, so it's going to take time.

I just thought I'd sound out the top-level ideas for the music here. Thanks for the suggestions, chaps. And yes, it's going to be thrash metal.
Last edited by Jehannum at Apr 16, 2011,
Quote by food1010
I think you're overthinking it. Just get angry and play. The best way to capture an emotion is to expose it through playing.

+1

and to genuinely feel it in the 1st place. Otherwise you're just being pretentious.
shred is gaudy music
When I want to go for the tension/euphoria combo I usually start off with chromatic main riffs, move into minor keys as the song progresses, then expand to major for the chorus or solo. I recently wrote a song like this for my own band, and my bandmates think it's the best thing I've written.

Good luck, hope it works out!
Quote by GuitarMunky
+1

and to genuinely feel it in the 1st place. Otherwise you're just being pretentious.

I think there's a (separate) thread's worth of discussion on this point.

Let's say a composer who's scoring a film. Does he have to feel anger at the bad guy, scared of the monsters and love for the leading lady to score the film?
Quote by Jehannum
I think there's a (separate) thread's worth of discussion on this point.

Let's say a composer who's scoring a film. Does he have to feel anger at the bad guy, scared of the monsters and love for the leading lady to score the film?

+ 1
Feel is in the listener, the other day i was watching tv with a friend and widdlying around on guitar, did a few squeling bends with a nice vibrato and my friend said "man you have such a great feel" Was I feeling it at that particular point? No, i was watching tv.

+2 to the composer thing too