Page 1 of 2
i have nothing against pedals to begin with, in fact i love pedals. but why use them? i understand why you use wah, chorus or fuzz etc. but why od or distortion? do artists use it to shape their tones or boost the amount of gain. but then why would they pay lots for a tube od/distortion amp channel? well thats about it. thanks
Because you want different distorted tones? I play through a fender amp, which has magnificent cleans, but is near impossible to drive without killing everyone within 30 feet, so I get a high end distortion box.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

its cheaper to spend 50 bucks on a litle digitech distortion pedal than buy a whole new amp.
Quote by crustyreed
jan 08ers quit posting threads to establish how core you are. nobody has heard of these 'ramnomes' you speak of.
EDIT: Comment removed.

I blame too many "silly" threads.
Last edited by irnmadn88 at Apr 15, 2011,
well sorry everyone, if you found this question stupid. I kinda knew the answer anyway, just wanted to know other people's opinions. maybe i should delete this thread?
No, they're just being dicks. It's a valid discussion, because there are a lot of anti pedal people and a lot of pro pedal people (myself included).

Also, I feel like you wanted to start a discussion, and you phrased it like you didn't understand. So that may have something to do with it.

Quote by bogg808

Last edited by mcraddict81592 at Apr 15, 2011,
Because sometimes you just want a different distortion sound, and it's also cheaper than buying a new amp.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by vegas_shb
well sorry everyone, if you found this question stupid. I kinda knew the answer anyway, just wanted to know other people's opinions. maybe i should delete this thread?

Nah, it's a valid question, really.

Guitarists have the ability to change the sound of their instruments unlike any other musicians out there, with maybe the exception of people who play electronic keyboards/synthesizers. I personally never found myself getting too creative with pedals, but if it can help people express their creativity better, all the power to them.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by mcraddict81592
No, they're just being dicks. It's a valid discussion, because there are a lot of anti pedal people and a lot of pro pedal people (myself included).

I apologize.

I am also a pedal junkie. I have too many. I think of them as adult Legos. So many sounds can be built with them.
I think you have a good point, shame about some stupid comments. Ive never understood why people buy expensive amps and end up sticking a distortion box permanently in front of it. Defeats the purpose. It especially gets to me when these people rave about the TOOBZ and then do it. I can understand occasional use though, to get different tones.
I agree with the above. It's much better to buy a distortion box than to buy a amp. Also I think you can get more tones from boxes than amps. Not because of settings, but because of the sheer number of them available. But, yes it's mostly because it's cheaper than a amp.
Well - I have a distortion pedal that I sometimes run with my amp. I keep the volume on par with my existing amp volume, but just saturate the tone a bit more with what comes out of the pedal. It makes it sound a little 'fuller,' which is really nice. The amp sounds great, but if I need just a little push into hi-gain.
Quote by Phat Stud 55
I agree with the above. It's much better to buy a distortion box than to buy a amp. Also I think you can get more tones from boxes than amps. Not because of settings, but because of the sheer number of them available. But, yes it's mostly because it's cheaper than a amp.

It's much better to buy a box than an amp if you already have a good amp. The issue with pedals is that people use them as a quick fix for having shit gear, which never works.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by Spudderz
I think you have a good point, shame about some stupid comments. Ive never understood why people buy expensive amps and end up sticking a distortion box permanently in front of it. Defeats the purpose. It especially gets to me when these people rave about the TOOBZ and then do it. I can understand occasional use though, to get different tones.

No, it doesn't.

Tube amps complement and enhance good pedals (and vice versa), and if you dial them in to work well together it's a great combination.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
It's much better to buy a box than an amp if you already have a good amp. The issue with pedals is that people use them as a quick fix for having shit gear, which never works.

Yep, even a cheap distortion pedal can sound decent through a good amp, whereas a good pedal can sound like shit through a shitty amp.
Hi, I'm Peter
i use a metal muff with top boost through three-four channel amps because it gives me more versatility. using that, i can take the 3-4 sounds, and crank out another 2. gives me even more versatility to get all the sounds i need, especially when playing cover shows. keeps you from having to go back and change the amp settings manually. just step on the pedal and keep on rockin
It's because if people didn't have pedals then we'd have a surplus of random adjectives and nothing to apply them to.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
people use distortion and overdrive mostly for shaping their tone or for boosting or for a bit of both. it's tonal variety, function, solo boosts etc. some prefer to kick on a tubescreamer for a solo rather than turning up the volume on their guitar.

the reason people will pay lots for a good quality tube amp and then use pedals through it is because your tone is only as good as your amp allows it to be no matter what pedals you're using.

in short, a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, and that applies to your signal chain too.

of course whether you actually use pedals or not is up to you.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
As for me, I like a clean amp. Which is why I bought a Vox AC30.
But I do like my dirt. I have 5 dirt boxes with varying levels of dirt. From just a little breakup to all out fuzz. I use whats best for whatever I am playing. Sometimes I won't use any of them but I like to have options.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Apr 15, 2011,
You're not driving your AC30?!? BLASPHEMY!

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
You're not driving your AC30?!? BLASPHEMY!

I have one of my Tubescreamers set with the gain at 0 and level at whatever suits the room.
Also have that sweet Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Swollen Pickle doesn't add to your argument, so I'm not sure why it's there, but whatever, haha.

Are we just listing our dirt boxes. Because my board has none at the moment. How you like that PB Thread? No OD. No delay. Pretty sure I'm gonna get thrown out in the very near future...

Quote by bogg808

At least you have a board.

Me, I just get bored and change stuff all the time.
Quote by mcraddict81592
Swollen Pickle doesn't add to your argument, so I'm not sure why it's there, but whatever, haha.

Are we just listing our dirt boxes. Because my board has none at the moment. How you like that PB Thread? No OD. No delay. Pretty sure I'm gonna get thrown out in the very near future...

I'm just running an Ice 9 into a modded Hendrix reissue wah, with an EQ in the effects loop
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by mcraddict81592
No, it doesn't.

Tube amps complement and enhance good pedals (and vice versa), and if you dial them in to work well together it's a great combination.
+1

When you use a pedal to drive an already overdriven valve amplifier or when you overdrive a clean valve ampliifer, you're not combining solid state and valve technology, it doesn't really work that way. What you're doing is a little more complex in terms of the sonic results.

For me, the best tones I've ever heard were amps like a Soldano SLO pushed hard but not overdriven to searing levels, with an overdrive in front to either cut or boost certain frequencies.

Some overdrive pedals can be considered EQ pedals with a volume and drive control. Few of them are completely transparent and few of them need to be. It's the colour that front-end effects add that make them so interesing and delightful to experiment with.
well i use a bass amp (tube though) which has an amazing sound but no distortion atall
plus i like to add and take of drive in the middle of songs
Quote by mcraddict81592

But I REALLY like it, so your comment is void
I do push my amp from time to time though, but I get complaints

My 2 TS's are my favorite dirtboxes ATM, with the Zvex Box Of Rock following close behind.

You NEED a dirt box.
I didn't say I run all clean, I just said that I don't have an OD. I have two magnificent fuzzes (One is still on the way) and I'm in the process of getting the be all, end all of mid-high gain distortions.

I just have no use for an overdrive on a Fender amp.

Quote by bogg808

I have one, modded by John to be in every possible way better than stock. It sounds beautiful with a British amp right on the edge of OD (like my last amp), but there is no conceivable way to put a 130W Double Twin Reverb on the edge of OD without killing animals and small children.

Quote by bogg808

awesome tube od/distortion channel + overdrive pedal used as a boost = even more awesome

that is all.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CodeMonk
You need a TS.

I feel like that should be one of the ten commandments of guitar.
Quote by CodeMonk
130W damn...talk about shattered windows.
Mine is stock but I did get some OPA2134s recently to play around with.

Yeah, first time I ever played it was outside in the middle of nowhere, it was like November Rain, but with more hair.

It sounds good at pretty much any level over 3, so I just let it sit at about 3.5 unless there are other people round. It is a good way to clean off shelves if you turn it up past 6 though.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by vegas_shb
i have nothing against pedals to begin with, in fact i love pedals. but why use them? i understand why you use wah, chorus or fuzz etc. but why od or distortion? do artists use it to shape their tones or boost the amount of gain. but then why would they pay lots for a tube od/distortion amp channel? well thats about it. thanks

a big part of the answer is tradition. back in the old days there weren't high gain amps so "guitar hero" types put an overdrive or distortion pedal in front of their stacks (another hold over from the old days) to get more distortion. so yeah artists that happen to be legends at this point (ie hendrix, rhoads etc) did do that and of course we follow the lead. i like to use an overdrive to punch up the leads or to add more umph to my amp which is only a medium gain amp (VK 112). also distortion pedals are easier to control at loud volumes so some prefer that. having a low gain amp like a fender has already been mentioned.
This may not be a popular answer but I like getting my dirt from pedals going into a clean amp.
I don't play teh br00tz metal stuff so it works for me. The heaviest I get is some Sabbath. Which with my AC30 and the Hardwire TL-2 together do surprisingly well IMO.
I'm mostly clean amp with a little bit of grit kind of guy, but getting GREAT cleans is paramount to me.
The AC30 being pushed a bit with a tubescreamer gives me some awesome blues tones, which is mainly what gets me off.
Page 1 of 2