Hey guys, currently I own a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser and an American Fender Strat. I play a mix of metal (melodic death, metalcore, thrash etc) but also like to play a lot of Dream Theater, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert and Joe Satriani. This is a bit of a problem given the guitars I own.

I use the Schecter for all the metal. However over the past few months I have been swapping the tuning around between C standard and E standard to accomodate for playing Arch Enemy and Steve Vai, for example. I have not played the Strat for ages properly and only really pick it up when I am bored.

I am thinking about selling the Strat, along with a couple of my effects pedals, to fund a new guitar that would be suitable for playing Vai/Satch and some Dream Theater. Budget is not really an issue, although I would prefer not to spend too much out of my own pocket after selling the Strat.

Any suggestions?
There are a lot of guitars that can pull off the sounds you're looking for if budget isn't an issue. In order to keep costs lower though, I'd recommend either a Charvel Pro Mod (either the san dimas, which has duncans, or the so cal, which comes with dimarzios) or perhaps a Prestige series Ibanez RG (1450/1470, 2550). The Ibanez would need a pick-up change, while the Charvel wouldn't. Play both, see which you prefer.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
^ which jem? You have to be very careful with them, the 555 is basically an overpriced rg350 with evolutions... you can get a prestige (which is a way better guitar with a better trem) often for the same price or less.

Quote by nic_2090
There are a lot of guitars that can pull off the sounds you're looking for if budget isn't an issue. In order to keep costs lower though, I'd recommend either a Charvel Pro Mod (either the san dimas, which has duncans, or the so cal, which comes with dimarzios) or perhaps a Prestige series Ibanez RG (1450/1470, 2550). The Ibanez would need a pick-up change, while the Charvel wouldn't. Play both, see which you prefer.

+1

the 2550 probably doesn't need a pickup swap, though.

Haven't seen you around for a while, nice to see you back
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I second the charvel suggestion. brilliant guitars for the money.

also, check out music mans (especially the petrucci). they have some of the best necks on the market.
Quote by coolstoryangus
used rg550 in neon colour + pickup swap ftw.
Then buy another one with the change

An RG550 with a pickup swap would probably be a pretty cheap option if you can find one. Very worthwhile looking in to.
With our lives based on the hope for salvation
The humanist paradigm is nothing but a charade
Condemned to inertia: a passive race
We wait and contemplate

If your budget is not really an issue, you want to shred and you are a fan of Dream Theater, then you would do well to consider the various John Petrucci signature guitars from Music Man. I particularly like that some of them now come with an ebony fretboard. They are all first-rate in every respect. Hey; if it's good enough for John Petrucci...
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I own both the JEM7VWH and a Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas, so maybe my input is worthwhile...

I'll start with the JEMs.

Firstly, the 555 isn't a "real" JEM. Depending on the year, the 555 either has a Lo-TRS tremolo or an Edge Pro II tremolo. Both are poor quality and will inevitably lose their ability to stay in tune. The Lo-TRS can be directly swapped out for an Original Floyd Rose, so if you find a Lo-TRS equipped 555 at a price that allows you to put some money towards replacing the bridge, it's not a dreadful choice, though you could probably do better for the price. I would avoid a 555 equipped with an Edge Pro II.

The pickups on a 555 are quite good (Dimarzio Evolutions, just like in the 7VWH), but having played several, I must say that the action, fit, finish and fretwork just doesn't compare to the higher end models.

The "real" JEMs are all equipped with the higher end Ibanez tremolos, beginning chronologically with the Edge, the Lo-Pro, the Edge Pro and recently returning to the Edge once again. These are all very high quality tremolo systems, though they are all noticeably different.

The Edge is the highest in profile, and due to the position of the arm and saddles relative to the fulcrum, it has the most flutter of the three. Some players find the higher profile can make picking awkward if they're used to a fixed bridge, especially when combined with the sensitivity of the tremolo.

The Lo-Pro is lower in profile than the Edge, and I feel that it has the least flutter of the three.

The Edge pro is the lowest in profile (and hence the least obtrusive on your playing when not using the bar), and has a little more flutter than the Lo-Pro. Unlike the Edge and Lo-Pro, the tremolo posts for the Edge Pro don't lock into the body, which means that unmodified, it's not quite as stable as an Edge or a Lo-Pro (though certainly comparable to an Official Floyd Rose or similar). It's possible to modify the guitar to have the posts lock, in which case, the bridge will be every bit as stable as the Edge or Lo-Pro.

Most current Prestige RGs are equipped with the Edge Zero. Having played a few RGs equipped with this trem, I don't think it's as stable as the previous high end Ibanez tremolos (though I'd say about the same as an OFR). Just my personal findings though.

JEMs have either Dimarzio PAF Pros, Dimarzio Evolutions or Dimarzio Breeds depending on the model. They're pretty different, and I think they all excel at different things. The new 505 has an Edge Trem and pretty woeful Ibanez pickups that you'd probably want to replace, but the Edge and the maple neck (and the neck profile) would make me more interested in it than in a Prestige RG, as I'd be changing the pickups anyway.

As for the Pro Mods (which are of course, much more affordable than JEMs), I have to say I'm really impressed. I have a San Dimas, which I just got this week. I really have to say that I think these are the best guitars out there for the price.

The fretwork and neck finishing are absolutely fabulous. Really, this leaves every every other guitar I've played in it's price range behind here. The fretwork is better than it is on my American Strat (and the others I've played), and I feel it's better than the Prestige RGs too.

The pickups are decent, (Duncan JB at the bridge, Duncan '59 at the neck), but I don't think they're ideal for Satriani style stuff (where you'd want something like a variant of a Dimarzio PAF Pro in each position) or for Vai style stuff (where the Dimarzio Evos would be the obvious choice). The So Cal model comes with an Evo in the neck and a Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge, which I'd imagine would be a more useful combination for "shred" style stuff.

The bridge is a FRT O-2000, which is essentially the same (as far as I can tell) as an Official Floyd Rose, except that it's not made in Germany. The workmanship doesn't look quite as nice as on an OFR, and the fine tuners feel a little clunky, but in terms of performance, it seems every bit as stable as an OFR, if maybe a little stiffer feeling. The bridge isn't recessed into the body, so you don't get much pull-up on the tremolo. I can pull the open G string on the San Dimas up to a Bb (which would be the note on the 3rd fret), while I can pull the open G on the JEM up to a D (which is the note on the 7th fret). So, if you want a lot of pull-up, the Pro Mods might not be for you.

The neck joint is the square heel type you have on your Strat, and access to the upper frets is essentially the same as most Strats, while an Ibanez would have deeper cutaways and an all-access neck joint, which makes playing in the higher registers much easier. The Pro Mods also have 22 fret necks, while the Ibanez RGs and Jems have 24 fret necks.

Still, if you don't want to go used or if you're like me and you think the original Wizard neck profile on a used RG 550/570 is a little bit to thin for you, I don't think you can beat the Charvel for the price.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
^^^ just to point out- if you really want a recessed trem, the two older wild cards had recessed trems (also HSS pickup layouts). They're not being made any more (there's a new wildcard out which is an HS hardtail), so if you do want one, you'd need to get it sooner rather than later.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Random3
A friend recommended me the PRS Torero, and it looks pretty badass. Anyone have any experience with it?

pretty much the same thing as a hellraiser fr...
PRS's take on it if you will
Black Machine... >.>

But seriously, Charvel or if you can find one, an early 80's Kramer.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Quote by burnboy85
Ibanez JS series are good if you dont mind the 22 frets. Michael Angelo Batios got a Dean signature that looks pretty nice, or mabie check into the Carvin custom shop?

Just looking at the specs, the MAB1 and the MAB2 seem to be pretty solid, but the MAB3 and MAB4 have Floyd Rose special trems, which I've heard are pretty dodgey.

The JS series are great guitars, but very different to an RG or a JEM. They feel pretty Strat-like to me, but are a little more comfortable to play when standing.

I agree, if you're considereing buying a higher end JEM or JS, you should also consider a Carvin.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
The JS guitars are peculiar for shred guitars in that they have a sub-10" fretboard radius. I was GASing for one bad awhile back until I tried one out and felt the neck. It's definitely one of those things you need to try and see if YOU find it comfortable. I've focused my attention toward saving for a custom Carvin now. They're a great value for an instrument. The fact that they're customizable means you could easily dress one up as a shred guitar. The Contour bolt-neck model has an option for piezo acoustic pick-up, active/passive electronics, coil-splitters, etc. With all that stuff on an H-H configured guitar with a Wilkinson or Floyd bridge, you'd have a seriously versatile guitar. They also have optional SS frets and 14" fretboard radius. Only downside is that it's unlikely you'll get to try out a Carvin beforehand. But if you're not comfortable with that, there's always the Charvel So Cal or a Prestige RG.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
doesn't the JS have a compound radius?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?