Hey all

Possible a dumb question here, but can't hurt to check- I'm getting a 7-string soon and I'm wondering if there is anything to consider amp-wise before buying. A guy in college sometimes brings his 5-string bass and it tends to blow the Trace Elliot amp..

Gear info in sig
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure amps don't have strings.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

I couldn't resist.

But yeah, I think it's less the amp than the speakers, as far as supporting the low end.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

You have nothing to really worry about when using a 7 string, but you may have to eq differently than you are used to. The 7th string can flub out pretty easily, especially if you aren't using super tight pickups. Just make sure to turn down the bass and mids a bit when you want to play the super low stuff and youll be fine.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Quote by Blick71
You have nothing to really worry about when using a 7 string, but you may have to eq differently than you are used to. The 7th string can flub out pretty easily, especially if you aren't using super tight pickups. Just make sure to turn down the bass and mids a bit when you want to play the super low stuff and youll be fine.

Thank you! Just what I wanted to know
5105/6505 handles low tunings very well, probably the best of all well known amps.
^I've found that carvin amps handle the low B far better than those two.

Personal preference there I suppose, but yeah.

Like the others have said, with a bit of eq'ing you'll be fine, just make sure your bass is turned down a good bit

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Almost any amplifier with a good transformer and high-wattage speakers will handle the low end of a seven string.

To test whether it works with your ss Vypyr, tune your six string down to B and see if it works for you. If you don't like the sound and feel of it then you need a new amp and maybe a particular type of seven string with a longer scale, different output pick-ups and/or thicker strings.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Almost any amplifier with a good transformer and high-wattage speakers will handle the low end of a seven string.

To test whether it works with your ss Vypyr, tune your six string down to B and see if it works for you. If you don't like the sound and feel of it then you need a new amp and maybe a particular type of seven string with a longer scale, different output pick-ups and/or thicker strings.

I don't think that would be a good way of finding out at all.. what with the wrong tension etc.
Quote by zirkonflex
5105/6505 handles low tunings very well, probably the best of all well known amps.

Id say a mesa rectifier
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by SilverSpurs616
I don't think that would be a good way of finding out at all.. what with the wrong tension etc.

Your vypyr wont sound very good with a 7 string, Id invest in new amp, if your serious about your tone.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by SilverSpurs616

It actually works a little better than you'd think, not a perfect solution, but definitely a good starting place.

And to answer the best sound for a 7, I have to say ENGLs, Diezels, and anything with a sharp bottom end tends to do really well with a 7.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Only problem with those amps is that they cost your soul, your arm, and probably both of your legs

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
Only problem with those amps is that they cost your soul, your arm, and probably both of your legs

Hey, we're going for best, not most cost effective.
Touche

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Thanks for the replies guys I'm not bothered about tone right now (can't do much about that till I get the guitar!) I'm simply asking about how well amps such as mine will handle that low B, I don't wanna end up blowing it like I've seen happen with the 5-string bass.

The Vypyr has the 6505 model and I know it'll never really be the same, but if that'll work well for a 7-stringer then great- it's already my favourite for regular 6-string Paul Gilbert-y stuff
I played my 7 string in A# tuning on a Vypyr 15, handled it just fine.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by SilverSpurs616

You're kidding right? Playing in B Standard with 12s is still the same string tension as it would be playing 10s in E Standard. I haven't had any problems going from 10s to 12s, infact i'm playing one of my guitars with 13s and no issues like neck bend, fret buzz etc etc,. Just don't tune up more than you should.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by silly hats at Apr 15, 2011,
Quote by silly hats
You're kidding right? Playing in B Standard with 12s is still the same string tension as it would be playing 10s in E Standard. I haven't had any problems going from 10s to 12s, infact i'm playing one of my guitars with 13s and no issues like neck bend, fret buzz etc etc,. Just don't tune up more than you should.

I'm using 10's, I'm not gonna restring with 12's just to play in B for 5 minutes