Well, like the title says, I want to translate my favorite songs to instrumental guitar version but don't know where to begin with.

I'm familiar a fraction of theory like chords and scales and how they are formed but get confused when putting them together.

Please give advices and please give specific ones rather than just "Learn music theory". There is a pool of theories and I'm not sure which are (most) relevant. Perhaps I need a list of theories to look at. I will apply them into such translations and see if it could work that way.

Or put differently, do I need to trace the progress backward, i.e. understanding what composers use to write song? Well, things begin get more convoluted I guess

Thanks
Quote by obeythepenguin
If you want the Martin, accept no substitute -- save up and get the Martin.

Yes
transCRIBE.

by far the easiest method is to get the sheet music and use that. if you can't read sheet music, that's out. then, your only option is to figure out every note by ear.

basically, it'd be like having a recording in german and needing to be able to write it down for someone else to speak it, only without knowing the alphabet.

best of luck.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by NonSleeper
Well, like the title says, I want to translate my favorite songs to instrumental guitar version but don't know where to begin with.

I'm familiar a fraction of theory like chords and scales and how they are formed but get confused when putting them together.

Please give advices and please give specific ones rather than just "Learn music theory". There is a pool of theories and I'm not sure which are (most) relevant. Perhaps I need a list of theories to look at. I will apply them into such translations and see if it could work that way.

Or put differently, do I need to trace the progress backward, i.e. understanding what composers use to write song? Well, things begin get more convoluted I guess

Thanks

You mean make "an arrangement for guitar".

1- learn the melody
2- learn the chords
3- arrange them in a way that you can play it on the guitar.
shred is gaudy music
Buy a guitar, and see what you get.
I shouldn't have to say this, but you can play any song you want on the guitar.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Quote by GuitarMunky
You mean make "an arrangement for guitar".

1- learn the melody
2- learn the chords
3- arrange them in a way that you can play it on the guitar.

Yep I'm going with this. If you know your major/minor scales and how they harmonise to create different chords in different keys it can help take some of the guesswork out.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud