you know what im talking about, the quick connect solderless wiring emg uses. i bet alot more people would be inclined to do a pickup swap if every pickup maker agreed on a connection system. who else thinks this would be a great idea?
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
does emg hold a patent for it?

if so that should answer your question

it'd be nice if all pickups could be switched out that easily but its unlikely that different companies will collaborate like that
Quote by rickyj
does emg hold a patent for it?

if so that should answer your question

it'd be nice if all pickups could be switched out that easily but its unlikely that different companies will collaborate like that

Don't think so, Seymour Duncan Blackouts have a similar hookup system.

They prolly don't do it because alot of vintage guys prolly like the old solder system, thinking it gets better tone or something, plus, it would make things more expensive to add the quick connect system to everything.

Me personally, I would love it if they all used quick connect systems.
Most electric failures are due to convenient "quick connect" systems. The connections are not always good, they shake loose sometimes and they are extremely expensive. Also, connectors make a single connection into three connections (component to connector, connector to connector, connector to wire) and the idea in a signal path is to limit the points of weakness, not increase them.

How often do you change your pick ups that you can't spend the 10 seconds required to desolder and solder new connections?
Quote by Quintex
How often do you change your pick ups that you can't spend the 10 seconds required to desolder and solder new connections?

You just hit the nail on the head, my friend. Pickup companies don't want to make it easier for you to swap pickups! If they did, people would change them more often and they might lose business. Pickups are bought on brand-name and artist associations, for the most part. You can't exactly "Try before you buy." But if they were plug-and-play modules, then you could. It might encourage people to buy more pickups, but there would be a sizeable loss of purchases due to brand loyalty.

It's all about the bucks, my friends. The plug-and-play pickups are encouraging, but as Quintex pointed out, it isn't too hard to swap out a set of pickups the traditional way. I wanted to kick myself the first time I picked up a soldering iron and saw how easy it was to do it myself. Lord! How much f%cking money did I blow at repair shops over the years on pickup swaps because I thought it was a major project? If only I had known then what I know now!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Apr 15, 2011,
Not as strong or good as solder, in my opinion.

I'd trust solder over a QCS any day of the week.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Quintex
Most electric failures are due to convenient "quick connect" systems.

Wrong.

The connections are not always good, they shake loose sometimes and they are extremely expensive.

I've installed EMG pickups and I soldered pickups. I would trust the quick connect system over soldering any day, the connections are solid and the wire doesn't fray.

How much money am I giving these companies for plastic, copper and (usually) machine labour? With the ridiculous markup I don't want to risk burning myself just to use them.
Quote by Spaz91
Wrong.

I've installed EMG pickups and I soldered pickups. I would trust the quick connect system over soldering any day, the connections are solid and the wire doesn't fray.

How much money am I giving these companies for plastic, copper and (usually) machine labour? With the ridiculous markup I don't want to risk burning myself just to use them.

are you tining your wires?

I like soldering, I've never used a quick sonnect system but i don't like the idea of it. in my opinion every guitar or bass player should be able to solder and set up there own instruments.
no sir away a papaya war is on
im too jittery to be trusted with a soldering iron. the last time i attempted it i burnt myself pretty badly. i just think it would be a good idea to atleast make it an option
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
Quote by the_perdestrian
are you tining your wires?

Yup, but you can tin the whole thing. The only thing I can think of that would solve this would be a single solid copper wire. That would make positioning awkward.
Quote by Spaz91
Wrong.

Yeah, because your opinion is higher than everyone else.

I feel safer soldering rather than QCS. Does that mean it's better? No.
Some people don't like the idea of connecting a pickup without soldering, some prefer it.
yeah i agree with spaz, most electrical failures are not do to the quick connect system. thats not even his opinion that is just fact.

and spaz I've never really had a problem with fraying wires.unless i was really failing at getting a wire thorugh a 3rd time used lug on an old pot.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Last edited by the_perdestrian at Apr 15, 2011,
Mechanical connections come apart far more often than soldered connections.

Quote by Spaz91
Wrong.

You really need to go here then:
http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/how_to_solder.htm
Last edited by CodeMonk at Apr 15, 2011,
Nobody with functioning limbs is unable to pick up a soldering iron and learn, not only for doing pickups but as a important life skill.

The simple fact is that there are none so ignorant as those who don't want to learn. Anyone who says they want quick connect systems because it's easier falls into that catergory.

Quick connect systems are a solution to problem that doesn't exist.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Spaz91
With the ridiculous markup I don't want to risk burning myself just to use them.

But you must learn to live dangerously, Grasshopper. What is life without pain, fear and risk? To sear your flesh with blistering heat is to condition your soul for this life and the next.

Besides, they've made great strides in treating burns. Would you let all that research and effort go to waste over a lousy set of pickups?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I'd rather have a soldering iron in hands when I change pickups.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by FatalGear41
But you must learn to live dangerously, Grasshopper. What is life without pain, fear and risk? To sear your flesh with blistering heat is to condition your soul for this life and the next.

Besides, they've made great strides in treating burns. Would you let all that research and effort go to waste over a lousy set of pickups?

Because I'm running out of skin on my hands that isn't scar tissue or calluses.
As much as id like to learn to use solder. Id burn myself. Even if i had been doing it for years. I would burn myself. I burn myself constantly. Alot. "I know its hot, but how hot"

That being said, if i had money for a good set of pickups, i could probably afford the one off thing and set up at the shop if i couldnt solder.
Quote by summerson1
you know what im talking about, the quick connect solderless wiring emg uses. i bet alot more people would be inclined to do a pickup swap if every pickup maker agreed on a connection system. who else thinks this would be a great idea?

Not all emg pick ups have the same connection system.