Hey, I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I have a question for a guitar I'm about to buy, but I'm not sure if it's a real Fender. Please can you help me, I don't want to be ripped off. According to the seller and the serial its MIA from 1989-1990, but the headstock is a bit weird, maybe it's just me.. Thanks in advance!

Here's the pictures:

It looks very dubious to me. Run the serial number by Fender and see what they say. That neckplate and those headstock decals...I don't know. Frankly, I'd pass on it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
It looks very dubious to me. Run the serial number by Fender and see what they say. That neckplate and those headstock decals...I don't know. Frankly, I'd pass on it.

I ran the serial through guitardaterproject.com and it says it's made in corona plant, 1989-1990. The thing that bothers me the most is the logo.. it just seems.. weird
I'm liking the guitar but if your not sure always check the serial numbers out

EDIT: I'd go for it
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at Apr 15, 2011,
Quote by dimeNG
I ran the serial through guitardaterproject.com and it says it's made in corona plant, 1989-1990. The thing that bothers me the most is the logo.. it just seems.. weird

That's a late-1960s to 1970s CBS-era Large headstock logo on a vintage small headstock guitar, and I have not seen such a thing from Fender. I have also not seen a legitimate 4-bolt plate engraved with the Fender "F" (you used to see those on 3-bolt plates) and the letters "USA" in such prominent font. The numbers for the serial number also seem unusually large. I may be wrong, but I think it is a fake. Perhaps the serial number was copied from a real Fender. Did Fender say anything about the headstock decal; neckplate or what model of guitar this is supposed to be?
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Apr 15, 2011,
I didn't run it by Fender, but I will now.. The thing is that the guy is prepared to trade it for my epiphone custom + cry baby wylde. That's why I'm so suspicious :/

EDIT: can somebody tell me an official Fender e-mail on which I can ask about it?
Last edited by dimeNG at Apr 15, 2011,
Give them a call; tell them you want to know if this is a real Fender and ask who to speak to. They should put you in touch with the right person:

Fender Musical Instrument Corporation
(480) 596-9690
It amazes me that this site always overlooks the fact that strats are a very interchangeable guitar, and the older ones people didn't seem to care about resale value, so its not uncommon to have a older body, with a newer neck or anything like that.

say someone wanted a USA strat but has a japanese? you can buy from fender parts to make it appear as a USA strat.

if I remember correctly they had japanese reissues of CBS strats, and the actual serial is on the neck joint on the neck.
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
Quote by FatalGear41
Give them a call; tell them you want to know if this is a real Fender and ask who to speak to. They should put you in touch with the right person:

Fender Musical Instrument Corporation
(480) 596-9690

I can't, I'm in Europe, a call will cost a fortune. Can you give me an e-mail?
Does it play well?

Do you like it?

Is the price right?

Then who cares?

Unless you're buying it as an 'investment', I wonder why it matters so much?
this issue comes up so often.

serial numbers mean f*ck all as far as determining if a guitar is genuine or not. they are only useful for dating a legitimate guitar. a copy can carry a real serial number.

as for the guitar in question the body looks about right but the headstock looks very wrong. i would suggest it has has a non fender neck put on.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dimeNG
I can't, I'm in Europe, a call will cost a fortune. Can you give me an e-mail?

Try this one:

Our Consumer Relations Department exists as a service to anyone interested in any FMIC product. You may reach the FMIC Consumer Relations Department by mail at:

Fender Musical Instruments Corporation
Attn: Consumer Relations Dept.
8860 E. Chaparral Road, Suite 100
Scottsdale, AZ 85250

For inquiries not related to any of the items above, you may reach the FMIC Consumer Relations Department by telephone, fax or e-mail at:

Telephone: (480) 596-7195
Fax: (480) 367-5262
E-mail: consumerrelations@fender.com

I hope this helps. Good luck.
Funny thing about posting "Is this Fender real" posts is that you can post a pic of an authentic Fender and half the people here will say it's a fake.

The logo looks authentic (it's also aged) look at the stem of the "F". You will see where it's starting to wear out.

The serial on the headstock and NP match, I believe it's real.

Do NOT listen to those who say it's fake due to the tuners. Tuners can be changed and Fender has used open poles in their tuners before.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
There is nothing that screams fake about this guitar.......
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Thanks everyone for the help, I'm going on Monday to try it, and if I like it, I'll trade it for my Epi Les Paul, do you think that it would be a good deal, even if the guitar turns out to be a fake? I mean I wont trade it if it's a plywood one, but if it is a MIM strat, that would be a good deal right?

I sent an e-mail to Fender, now I'm waiting to see what would they say, thanks FatalGear41.

One more thing, if I check the heel and the butt of the body, it should match the serial on the neck and the neck plate right?
Ask him to open it up and take pictures of the pots and/or give you the pot numbers you can do a google check and date the pots if they are anywhere near the years he mentioned that's one indication.
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
Ask him to open it up and take pictures of the pots and/or give you the pot numbers you can do a google check and date the pots if they are anywhere near the years he mentioned that's one indication.

Ya cuz pots can't be changed
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
ive never seen a fender without a truss rod hole in the headstock.
"I can see that we speak the wrong notes."

Warlock NJ Deluxe (haters gonna hate)
Crate EL-10G
You can usually tell by taking the neck off. Information of authenticity should be in the neck pocket if it's real,--you'll see a piece of paper with initials and the date it was put together, this is how Fender does it. As it stands, the things that throw me off are that you have a small headstock with 70's style big headstock logo. BUT maybe Fender did it this way for a short time, who knows--you should do some research to see if they did a short run like that.

You can tell if it's a fake waterslide decal by angling the headstock to the light. If it looks like there is a clear extra outside edge around the lettering, like it is a clear sticker---run. It's fake. Waterslide fakes are very easy to do.

The only Fenders that will have decals that look like stuck on clear stickers are some of the old vintage 50's and 60's ones and some of the reissues. That guitar is neither.
Quote by satanicgurrl

I've seen plenty. Also ones without the little filler plug.

The neck plate with the big F can be bought in any guitar shop, in an official Fender bag and all, so I'm guessing it's legit too. Perhaps someone has had the original serial number engraved on a new plate at some point, and wanted to add the USA at the bottom.

Also, I've seen those tuners on quite a few strats and teles in the past. The decal outline does seem a little bold, though. I can't tell if that's an optical mind-trick or not, but sometimes you think you see something just because the lighting is different from pic to pic.
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Apr 16, 2011,
Quote by Alucard817
Funny thing about posting "Is this Fender real" posts is that you can post a pic of an authentic Fender and half the people here will say it's a fake.

The logo looks authentic (it's also aged) look at the stem of the "F". You will see where it's starting to wear out.

The serial on the headstock and NP match, I believe it's real.

Do NOT listen to those who say it's fake due to the tuners. Tuners can be changed and Fender has used open poles in their tuners before.

the 87 and up fenders don't have a serial number on the neck plate and i've never seen a blue neckplate on a fender either. this guitar is pretty obviously not all original and is a partscaster using fender parts at best (but that is highly questionable.) i'd suggest posting the pix on the fender forum an letting he people that really know their stuff comment.
Quote by monwobobbo
...never seen a blue neckplate on a fender either.

That's the sky, man... You may be right about the other stuff, though... I can't tell for sure because Fenders are so easy to swap around.
Quote by Arby911
Does it play well?

Do you like it?

Is the price right?

Then who cares?

Unless you're buying it as an 'investment', I wonder why it matters so much?

well personally, i'd hate to buy something misrepresented.

if it's a part -o-caster then list it as such.

it's a fender then give correct details about the year, and what mods if
any have been made.

he wasnt asking if this guitar is good.

he's asking if it's real so he doesnt get ripped off.

imo, going into the deal knowing the correct information would be a
huge help when negotiating.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by obeythepenguin
I'll say again: the small headstock/large logo combination was on legit Fenders from 1982-1983, but NOT 1989-1990.

according to fender this guitar is from1989-90

edit: never mind i get what you're saying

http://www.fender.com/support/articles/u-s-instruments-product-dating

also, if its real, this person might not know what they have value wise. i got a 84 marshall jcm 800 for an esp ltd ec401

or just sign up at the fender talk board. they would know more.
Gibson Les Paul Jr.
1984 Marshall JCM 800 4210
Voc AC30c2
Last edited by RockinRyan13 at Apr 17, 2011,
Quote by Pikka Bird
That's the sky, man... You may be right about the other stuff, though... I can't tell for sure because Fenders are so easy to swap around.

well you got me on that . my main guitar is an 88 strat and the plate on this one is wrong none the less. shlould say fender on it and not made in USA.

as i said before it's a parts caster made from fender parts at best but probably not. i wouldn't pay more than $300 tops and only if i could verify that enough of the parts are real.
Quote by jj1565
well personally, i'd hate to buy something misrepresented.

if it's a part -o-caster then list it as such.

it's a fender then give correct details about the year, and what mods if
any have been made.

he wasnt asking if this guitar is good.

he's asking if it's real so he doesnt get ripped off.

imo, going into the deal knowing the correct information would be a
huge help when negotiating.

Yah, I know, but I'm a bit weird in that I put value on things based on what they are worth to me, not the name on the headstock or who put the parts together. Of course I don't buy guitars to sell them...ever. It's likely I'll still have the ones I buy when I'm feeding worms.
My guess is that it is some sort of special run/reissue model from the time frame specified in the serial number. It looks somewhat legit, but then again the pictures aren't very conclusive.
Quote by satanicgurrl

It has a neck heel truss rod adjustment. It's a very common and well known Stratocaster feature that has been on many models, past and present.
Well, I went yesterday to tried the guitar.. While judging on pictures may led me to drive 80km to see it, when I saw it in person I was certain it was not a real one. The seller tried to convince me that it is, so I took the neck and pickguard off and what do you know.. ceramic pups, chinese pots and switch and no markings on the neck and pocket.

Thanks for the help, and thanks for telling me how to see if it's not a fender.

Dime
Quote by dimeNG
Well, I went yesterday to tried the guitar.. While judging on pictures may led me to drive 80km to see it, when I saw it in person I was certain it was not a real one. The seller tried to convince me that it is, so I took the neck and pickguard off and what do you know.. ceramic pups, chinese pots and switch and no markings on the neck and pocket.

Thanks for the help, and thanks for telling me how to see if it's not a fender.

Dime

I would have been very tempted to beat his ass for trying to rip me off. Glad you found out the truth.
Quote by Dio10101
This.

many many do.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011