What's the best way to start working on lead guitar? normally play rhythm but I want to try something new and at the moment, in my opinion I am no good at lead guitar. Are there any tips for a beginner hoping to be lead guitarist or getting better on the guitar? Thanks
Something that really helped me to get started when I first tried to play Lead, is Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar 1 and 2. If you ever get a chance to get your hands on that, everything is explained very clearly and it's not just exercises, but quite a bit of useful thoery in them. Good luck!
learn scales
learn other peoples solos
improvise over back tracks or solo over songs

how long have you been playing?
I found that the biggest hurdle to becoming a decent lead guitarist is that jump from just memorizing a solo but having know idea why it works to being able to improvise in a box then eventually all over the fretboard.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
I'd start learning some of your favorite solos and playing along with the song, then once you can play it perfect, make changes and play with it till its your own. Learn the key, tuning, and where it sits in the scales and then move on to another song. Once you learn enough songs and feel through the scales enough u will get better and better at constructing your own solos.
It may sound like crappy advice, but what helped me with lead parts was just doing it. You'll get better at it the more you do it. Don't be scared to try whatever pops in your head. The more you do it the better feel for lead parts, what sounds good and what doesn't, will be a lot easier for you.
David
Craft
Start learning some of your favorite guitar solos
you might want to start off with some simple once I.e Song blues/rock songs like AC/DC
Keep learning solos.

next you want to try to learn scales, and apply them so you can improvise over chords/backing tracks. When your improvising you can use what you know theory wise, aurally wise, and throwing in some licks that other guitarist have used.

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
I've been playing for about 6 years now. I've never been able to memorize a solo. I have a learn to play dvd of two bands and I can never get the solos as each note is explained. I prefer improvising but I've been told its better to learn the actual solos of songs.
You can start with easier solos like Jimmy Page (stairway to heaven etc.) once you master that Kirk Hammett has some challenging solos, (thats what i'm working on), and after that any virtuoso guitarist like Alexi Laiho, Steve Via , Malsteem
Basically the lead guitarist is main melody of the guitars. The rhythm sets the rhythm (obviously hehe!). Try writing down a rhythm if you don't have another guitarist and then play a melody over it.
Quote by ZarDac
It may sound like crappy advice, but what helped me with lead parts was just doing it. You'll get better at it the more you do it. Don't be scared to try whatever pops in your head. The more you do it the better feel for lead parts, what sounds good and what doesn't, will be a lot easier for you.

thats me,i find i come up with ok stuff when recording too,it forces u to try anything,also had someone pushing me when jamming in band environment,he just said u play lead and it gave me the cofidence to at least try and it worked pretty good.
Quote by pawnluv
learn scales
learn other peoples solos
improvise over back tracks or solo over songs

how long have you been playing?
I found that the biggest hurdle to becoming a decent lead guitarist is that jump from just memorizing a solo but having know idea why it works to being able to improvise in a box then eventually all over the fretboard.

i'm in the box now working my way out though
Quote by Holliemarie
What's the best way to start working on lead guitar? normally play rhythm but I want to try something new and at the moment, in my opinion I am no good at lead guitar. Are there any tips for a beginner hoping to be lead guitarist or getting better on the guitar? Thanks

hello,
some suggestions. sorry if they are a bit blunt , im tired need to sleep ! :

pick backing tracks that stay in key.

get in key , pick the right scale to use.

trust your ears.

experiment with rhythm , but keep the pulse.

repeat ideas you like.

understand what you want to express with the solo, which emotions. what is the story of the song, what is your story ? what would you like the listener to take from the solo ?

work within certain limits, start with just 3 notes and rhythms with only crochets and quavers.