I've been learning some songs from the chords section here on UG and I'm a little confused about some stuff. I'm not sure if I'm using them correctly. I'm supposed to use the chords it shows and play in that order right? And I noticed there's variations on the chords. What do they mean? Thanks in advance.
The variations are just different voicings, or a different way to play the same chord.
Quote by Hawkeye00X
I've been learning some songs from the chords section here on UG and I'm a little confused about some stuff. I'm not sure if I'm using them correctly. I'm supposed to use the chords it shows and play in that order right? And I noticed there's variations on the chords. What do they mean? Thanks in advance.

Agreed, a specific example would help lot.
probably talking about inversions? ones that are marked C/E or something of that nature?

either way, there are lessons on this site about chords specifically, there are a few that are actually pretty good that go into quite a bit of detail, which is probably a good thing to go over. its worth the time invested, of course, if you don't know all of the standard open chords, and bar chords some of them could be difficult at first, but focused practice can overcome this
Last edited by openedmind at Apr 16, 2011,
Learn the major scale and chord construction and you'll never need to ask another question about them. If you prefer, you can PM me specific scenarios and I'll help you figure out what's going on.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by openedmind
probably talking about inversions? ones that are marked C/E or something of that nature?

either way, there are lessons on this site about chords specifically, there are a few that are actually pretty good that go into quite a bit of detail, which is probably a good thing to go over. its worth the time invested, of course, if you don't know all of the standard open chords, and bar chords some of them could be difficult at first, but focused practice can overcome this

I have been reading some of The Ultimate Guide to Guitar and I've been practicing some of the open chords and bar chords. Is that a good guide to use and is there any better ones?

An example I could give is I guess in this: http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/j/jason_mraz/im_yours_ver2_crd.htm

It first shows the standard open chord for any of the chords, right? But then I can change it to variations of the chord. Does it mean I can play any variation of any of the chords? Or can someone explain how to use those chords correctly to play a song?

Edit: Also, I do know the major scale, and I know how some major triads are formed. How are the chords that are used like in that example above formed?
Last edited by Hawkeye00X at Apr 16, 2011,
Quote by Hawkeye00X

It first shows the standard open chord for any of the chords, right? But then I can change it to variations of the chord. Does it mean I can play any variation of any of the chords? Or can someone explain how to use those chords correctly to play a song?

The answer to your question is Yes -- you can play whatever form of the chord you want -- if it sounds good to you, go for it.

THe next part is a little more complicated .. but sticking to the example you gave makes it simpler to explain.

We are talking about traidic harmony - a fancy way of saying "Chords with three distinct notes"

This song is in the key of C -- it is a I - V - vi - IV progression ... Very common in popular music ... but we'll come nack to that.

Take a look at C on the root for:

X 3 2 O 1 O

Those notes are C E G C E. Notice two notes are repeated, C and E -- so the "triad" is C E G. On the C major scale the C is the Root, E is a Major Third above C and G is a Perfect 5th above C -- also a minor third above E.

That is the formula for ALL major chords.

Root & major third & fifth

Look at the other two major chords -- G and F:

3 2 O O O 3

The notes are G B D G B G -- again, notes are repeated. The three notes that form the chord, the triad, are G B and D.

G is the root. B is a major third above G, D is a perfect fifth above G (and a minor third above B)

If you play F

x x 3 2 1 1

the notes are F A C F .. this time only one note is repeated and you have the same realtion .. F A and C for a Major Triad.

Am in root position is

x O 2 2 1 O

Or A E C E

The E is repeated .. but A C E is a Minor Triad .... C is a minor third above root, A and E is a perfect fifth above A (and a Major third above C -- as we saw above with the C major chord).

So this process .. Root -- third above -- fifth above will create two different kinds of traids.

Major when the middle note is a major third above the root and minor when the middle note is a minor third above.

Now -- take the C major chord .. any place on the neck where you can play C, E and G at the same time forms a C major chord.

Examples:

x x x 5 5 3

x x 10 9 8 8

8 7 5 x x x

x 7 5 5 5 8 <-- this is an "inversion" -- the root note, C is not the lowest note ... but more on that later

X X 10 12 13 12

X X 5 5 5 8 <-- also in inverson

x 3 5 5 5 3

8 10 10 8 8 8

You can do the same with F, G and a minor -- find the notes for each of those chords anywhere on the neck your fingers can reach and play them together -- ta da! You have another form of the chord.

HTH
Thanks a lot! That was a really easy to understand explanation. I just have another question. The C chord repeats the root and the 3rd. But why doesn't the G repeat the 5th but repeats the root again? And the Am repeats the 3rd, but not the root. Sorry if that's hard to understand.
Quote by Hawkeye00X
Thanks a lot! That was a really easy to understand explanation. I just have another question. The C chord repeats the root and the 3rd. But why doesn't the G repeat the 5th but repeats the root again? And the Am repeats the 3rd, but not the root. Sorry if that's hard to understand.

It still makes the same chord name, no matter what notes are repeated. But just because the way a guitar is tuned/shape of chords, that voicing of G doesn't repeat the fifth. It's why voicings (shapes) of chords differ.

And as for the Am the root actually does repeat, he made a small mistake, will still be Am.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by Venice King
It still makes the same chord name, no matter what notes are repeated. But just because the way a guitar is tuned/shape of chords, that voicing of G doesn't repeat the fifth. It's why voicings (shapes) of chords differ.

And as for the Am the root actually does repeat, he made a small mistake, will still be Am.

Oh ok. I think I get it now, thanks.

Edit: Inversions are just moving the bass note up to the next octave aren't they?
Last edited by Hawkeye00X at Apr 16, 2011,
Quote by Sean0913
No. Inversions are involving a note from the chord at the bass voice, that's something other than the root, i.e 3rd or 5th.

Sean

Oh ok then, thanks again to all of you.
Quote by Zen Skin
Am in root position is

x O 2 2 1 O

Or A E C E

Oooooops

Correction A E A C E

Anyway -- a cool way of playing this I V vi IV progression in the key of C is:

barre chords ..
C: x 3 5 5 5 3
G: 3 5 5 4 3 3
open position ...
Am: x O 2 2 1 O
barre again
F: 1 3 3 2 1 1

Then, notice that if you move to the key of E (4 sharps)

E: X 7 9 9 9 7
B: 7 9 9 8 7 7
C#m : x 4 6 6 5 4
A: 5 7 7 6 5 5

You are playing "Under the Bridge" by RHCP

Or a few hundred other popular songs ....
Quote by Zen Skin
Oooooops

Correction A E A C E

Anyway -- a cool way of playing this I V vi IV progression in the key of C is:

barre chords ..
C: x 3 5 5 5 3
G: 3 5 5 4 3 3
open position ...
Am: x O 2 2 1 O
barre again
F: 1 3 3 2 1 1

Then, notice that if you move to the key of E (4 sharps)

E: X 7 9 9 9 7
B: 7 9 9 8 7 7
C#m : x 4 6 6 5 4
A: 5 7 7 6 5 5

You are playing "Under the Bridge" by RHCP

Or a few hundred other popular songs ....

Where's the G#m?
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.