Maple is usually a pretty flat sounding tonewood if I remember right. It's also pretty heavy. Not too bad on these probably, but a maple Les Paul would pretty much be a @#$*ing boulder.

The SG looks cool, I'm not big on one pickup guitars though.
Eh, the Les Paul looks bad like it always has, the V looks nothing special, the Explorer seems cool but the Headstock looks funny but I'm glad to seem the SG's back again... It just sucks they don't have the tremelo system they used to.
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Quote by unicornfist
Eh, the Les Paul looks bad like it always has, the V looks nothing special, the Explorer seems cool but the Headstock looks funny but I'm glad to seem the SG's back again... It just sucks they don't have the tremelo system they used to.

Definitely! That trem was the coolest thing about the old ones.
Maple is an interesting choice. It's bright and clear but it's not usually used as a body wood, usually just as a cap or veneer, since it's heavy. Perhaps the bodies are thinner, or they're using a lighter selection or species of maple. Either way, if you don't mind them being brighter than the usual Gibson mahogany bodies, they should sound pretty good. The Raw Power SGs and Les Pauls that came out a little while ago were really neat, these seem like a more affordable version of those. They're probably going to be great for metal players - bridge pickup only, maple should cut through a gainy mix pretty well, and an unfinished neck which is unusual for Gibson and should be faster than usual.

For $540 they look pretty good. If they didn't cheap out on the construction, these should be great for people who don't mind fewer features in favor of playability.
Quote by lifesglorydead
Definitely! That trem was the coolest thing about the old ones.

Hell yeah it was!
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
they should've made them a bit more true to the classic melody makers imo. i'd rather have one of the regular melody makers, if they still make them.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Roc8995
For $540 they look pretty good. If they didn't cheap out on the construction, these should be great for people who don't mind fewer features in favor of playability.

This.

Maple body is a very interesting choice but it looks like they're making the bodies thinner so it should balance out. Says they're using maple for the fretboard too, which is also unusual for them. Gonna sound pretty bright. Not sure how it'll be for low-gain tones but higher gain tones will benefit in that it'll cut through the mix nicely.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Apr 15, 2011,
The SG is looking rather tempting. Putting a Warpig in would sound rather well I might imagine.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Gold Top
Vox VT30
Quote by Blompcube
they should've made them a bit more true to the classic melody makers imo. i'd rather have one of the regular melody makers, if they still make them.

They still have normal Melody Maker's. They're LP style, they just have the single coil pick up instead of the humbucker. What I want to see is a double cutaway Melody Maker like the Joan Jett Blackheart.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I like them! At least the Flying V, the other ones look kind of wierd. Don't like the headstock on the Explorer.
But a white V with a EMG 81 would be great
Noob on most guitar-oriented stuff.

ESP LTD EX-400
Epiphone Les Paul Goth
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
Peavey Bandit 112
Line 6 Spider III 15w
Digitech RP500
Quote by kangaxxter
They still have normal Melody Maker's. They're LP style, they just have the single coil pick up instead of the humbucker. What I want to see is a double cutaway Melody Maker like the Joan Jett Blackheart.

ah good, i've been meaning to get one but i'm stalling - no idea why. they are fairly cheap for gibsons, and there's just something i really like about them - they retail at £400 here, but they started out at £250 when they were first reissued - the price went up because that was just too much of a good deal for the quality you're getting - £400 is about right imo.

actually i think the reason i keep on trying one and then deciding against buying it is probably because there'll never be one as good as that 1965 double cutaway i should've bought

lesson of the day: vintage gibsons are bad for your bank balance, and not good for your enjoyment of other guitars, and very addictive... avoid them at all costs
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Apr 15, 2011,
It looks like a 1970's Gibson Marauder, with one pickup.
I like it.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
I really like them. The LP and SG are the logical expansions of the previous Special/Junior/Melody Maker guitars and the Explorer and V are pure metal.

Maple's an interesting choice but again it makes sense. Gibson used maple bodies for the Raw Power series which they just stopped making, I guess the left over maple is going into these now. When you think about it, most neck-through guitars are mostly maple, so that's the kind of tone I would expect these to have.

The only part I don't like is the volume control being right next to the pickup. Guitars like this are usually brilliant for rhythm playing but one big strum and you'e going to be knocking that knob. also I'm not a huge fan of the LP/SG Melody Maker headstock, I know that's correct for vintage Melody Makers but it looks ugly to me. Not enough to stop me from buying a couple though.

I'm definitely going to get the SG. I don't normally like Explorers at all but I'm tempted by this one. Might grab the LP too although I think if I did I'd stick to the regular single coil LP Melody Maker.
As a fan of the original single-cutaway as well as the double-cutaway and SG-style Melody Makers of old, I am somewhat disgusted at Gibson that they would stupefy the line with the addition of Explorer and V models.

The most recognizable feature of a Melody Maker is the skinny headstock and neither new model has it, rather they both have a slightly skinnier version of the V headstock.

Blegcha.
****ing terrible.
if the higher end gibsons slip in quality, god only knows how bad these could come out as being affordable.

That input jack placement is a nightmare.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Tango616
****ing terrible.
if the higher end gibsons slip in quality, god only knows how bad these could come out as being affordable.

That input jack placement is a nightmare.

Actually, it just may be the only way to get your money's worth from a Gibson.

For the money, they're actually quite good. My '04 LP Melody Maker was an excellent value. Simple, no frills rock machine that plays and sounds great. Of the 3 guitars I own, it was first and the others have not dethroned it as my favorite.
I'd love one of these. Possibly the older ones with a P90, but I think the SG (besides the headstocks) would be great modding plat forms. A pickup swap and BadAss Wrap around bridge, may tunners, and you're in business.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Quote by unicornfist

Shit yes, the malestro (orwhateverthe****itis) trems were awesome. Totally useless, but fucking awesome. Especially with the walrus tooth arms.
i'd prefer them all to have mahogany body's and a p90 instead of this humbucker nobody ever heard of and maple body.
but then it would be like a junior with a different headstock and without the tone control.

now the big plan, make an affordable guitar, with the gibson logo and all, say for this 500 dollar or euro mark but with specs of the junior maybe with a burstbucker instead of a p90. they lost the sight, if i remember correctly the old junior's and special's and melody maker's were starter guitar back in the day now i can see these MM being starter guitars but the juniors nowadays have reached around 900 price tag which can buy you an even nicer 60's tribute studio.