Hello folks! I have been looking at the P-94 pickups a lot lately. And how does it handle higher gain? Does it hum like a real P-90, or is it hum cancelled?

I know Phil X uses them and hes got an killer sound!

Im probably drop them in my Custom 24.
It will hum. It's the same as a regular P-90 except that it's a bit bigger to fit in a humbucker cavity.

There are better options in that category, though- like the Harmonic Design Z-90s, Seymour Duncan Phat Cats, and Rio Grande Fat Bastards. Fralin makes a silent hum sized P-90 called the P-92.
Phil X sounds good with everything, though.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Roc8995
It will hum. It's the same as a regular P-90 except that it's a bit bigger to fit in a humbucker cavity.

There are better options in that category, though- like the Harmonic Design Z-90s, Seymour Duncan Phat Cats, and Rio Grande Fat Bastards. Fralin makes a silent hum sized P-90 called the P-92.

Oh, i will check out those then
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Phil X sounds good with everything, though.

Pretty much that.

Although I did watch a Phil X Clinic and he claimed that he's tried other humbucker-sized P90s (like the SDs and etc) and he said they just didn't capture the tone like Gibson P94s did.

EDIT: Also, Phil Xs own tone (not his gear demos, but his own gear) is also massively affected by his amps. He's got a tone of amps--a vintage JMP, a reissue SLP, an old Gibson amp head, some boutique stuff, his Tonemaster, and etc. The pickups alone wont get you there.
Last edited by Seref at Apr 15, 2011,