Deceptively-named "Americans Against Hate" to Muslim professor: "GTFO, terrorist"

(abridged by SH)
For the past decade, conservative activist Joe Kaufman has suggested a Syrian-born professor at Florida Atlantic University may have terrorist connections. Bassem Al-halabi, an associate professor of engineering, has no criminal convictions, and he has supporters of all faiths at FAU who say his views are closer to pacifism than terrorism. But Kaufman, keeping his effort alive, organized a protest in front of FAU on Thursday, urging the university to fire him.

"Al-halabi is a danger … and should not be around or be able to hold influence over any of our nation's youth, especially as a professor at a publicly funded institution," Kaufman said.

The university released a statement defending the professor.

"Dr. Al‐halabi has never been found guilty of, nor pled guilty to, any criminal activity," the statement read. "Those calling for his dismissal on the basis of alleged criminal activity are either uninformed or deliberately misrepresenting the truth."

Al-halabi said Kaufman has been effective at persuading others to join his causes. On Thursday, 50 other protesters joined him, mostly members of the Tea Party of Fort Lauderdale and the Church of All Nations in Boca Raton.

"We have an individual teaching at FAU, who supports organizations that want to destroy both the United States and Israel," Pastor Mark D. Boykin said. "He should not be allowed in this country, let alone teach at such a fine institution."

Elsewhere on campus, a group of about 100 FAU students and employees held a counter-protest with a banner reading, "No Islamaphobia at FAU" They say Al-halabi has become the victim of Islam-bashing.

The tensions between Kaufman and Al-halabi escalated in March 2009 when the professor took students to Tallahassee for an annual Muslim Day. Kaufman accused him of assault and battery after a minor scuffle.

Kaufman, who writes for conservative news media, was following the group, the professor said. He said he was handing out the book, "Islamic Mafia" to the students.

"He gave me his hand like he was going to raise it," Al-halabi said. "I held it, not against his will, but as a culture thing, telling him he was coming too close."

Kaufman gave a different version saying the professor "violently grabbed my arm and pulled me over to a wall" and then later attacked his cameraman.

Bloody Florida. SHEdit: lol forgot the sauce

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I agree

Middle Easterners scare me and we should deport them like the communists they are
Oh you Americans and your silly Islamophobia!

*Looks at British Islamophobia*

This reminds me of that American Dad episode where Stan locks his brown neighbours in his backyard.
Quote by maidenrulz19
When playing any pokemon game and encountering a fisherman with 5 or 6 FUCKING MAGIKARP!!!!!!! I mean the thing is useless and it only gives like 7 exp points each. Yeah eventually that guy can have an army of gyarados but still.
Quote by Moggan13
Oh you Americans and your silly Islamophobia!

*Looks at British Islamophobia*

Blame the media. It's the cause of everything bad.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Cool name

Seriously though, those guys are assholes
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by MakinLattes
bitches be crazy. I mean, the most I can say is that pastor dude is a prejudiced idiot. it's not exactly a surprising thing.

Radical church extremists who think that anyone that is not Christian is a terrorist and is evil. I smell Westboro...
Quote by booby50
Radical church extremists who think that anyone that is not Christian is a terrorist and is evil. I smell Westboro...

Nope. Westboro is not involved in the slightest. They have nothing to do with terrorism, they're the ones who hate The Gays.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Sizzleby
This reminds me of that American Dad episode where Stan locks his brown neighbours in his backyard.

I love that episode and show.
Quote by SlayingDragons
And as we all know, every Islamic person is most definitely a radical in their beliefs.

That's right. My favorite part of the Qu'ran was the one when Muhammad said if you blow yourself up with a lot of people so you can have six-dozen virgins in paradise, and then blew himself up. Wholesome family values.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Doobergn
I love that episode and show.

Same.

I especially liked that episode because of how unreasonable and bigoted he was being, I knew it was never something that would actually happen.

Well now it's not going to be the same because apparently it does actually happen...
Quote by maidenrulz19
When playing any pokemon game and encountering a fisherman with 5 or 6 FUCKING MAGIKARP!!!!!!! I mean the thing is useless and it only gives like 7 exp points each. Yeah eventually that guy can have an army of gyarados but still.
Al-halabi said Kaufman has been effective at persuading others to join his causes. On Thursday, 50 other protesters joined him, mostly members of the Tea Party of Fort Lauderdale and the Church of All Nations in Boca Raton.

Saw it coming.

Quote by SteveHouse
Nope. Westboro is not involved in the slightest. They have nothing to do with terrorism, they're the ones who hate The Gays.

And Sweden
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Simsimius
Blame the media. It's the cause of everything bad.

The Daily Mail blames immigration on the rise in house prices, meaning that eating red meat can cause bowel cancer, which might have killed Princess Diana if she wasn't killed by fanatical-Muslim terrorists and New Labour.
That's pretty bad.

But then, of course (not condoning this at all though) a lot of people in the Middle East, as well as everyone in North Korea hates America, so you can't say that America is full of bigots and racists.

Though this guy's deal is pretty ill-hearted.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Pencil Man

But then, of course (not condoning this at all though) a lot of people in the Middle East, as well as everyone in North Korea hates America, so you can't say that America is full of bigots and racists.

Care to draw out that logic for me? I didn't follow it.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Pencil Man
That's pretty bad.

Quote by maidenrulz19
This whole belief that all all Islamic people are radicals is wrong. It's really just certain groups of Arabs, such as Al'qaeda. The others are perfectly reasonable.

But, I will accept your blasphemous taste in humor.
What's the point of living if you're not living a dream?
Quote by SteveHouse

They hate everything but Westboro, and God.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Attention!
It's come to pass that actor Richard Dreyfuss is, in fact, a member of Al-Qaeda.

Finally, someone's made the world safe for my streamlined, logic-less McCarthy call.

Quote by PeZ546
FFS!
With every day that passes; I become more convinced that I should go start a commune in Wiltshire that only cool, intelligent, tolerant people are invited to live in.

That place is called Portland.
Quote by SteveHouse

Bloody Florida

Palm Beach County is not the type of place you'd normally associate with this sort of thing. This guy is definitely no representation of most of us.
Quote by Masamune
Palm Beach County is not the type of place you'd normally associate with this sort of thing. This guy is definitely no representation of most of us.

Where was the IMA BURN A QURAN FOR JAYZUS guy?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
Where was the IMA BURN A QURAN FOR JAYZUS guy?

North Florida, very different place culturally. More similar to the rest of the deep south.