So hopefully i'll be shipping off to University soon, and of course i'll be bringing along my trusty strat to keep me company. But the only problem being i'll need to buy a new smaller amp to take to uni, I'm not sure how loud you can be, but i'm pretty sure a Bugera might overstep the mark
So I was thinking, I only really need an overdriven amp as most of what I play is Classic and Heavy Rock with some Slide Blues and a bit of Country thrown into the mix. I've got a part time job sorted for a few months before I go so the budget is about £550 max which is something along the lines of $900.
I was thinking of the Fender Hot Rod
http://www.fender.com/products/hotrod/models.php?prodNo=2230200 cause I don't think 40 watts will be too loud really, but are there any suggestions out there with a better idea?
Cheers
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
40 watt is a pretty big amp still..

I'd go for a Zvex nano, I haven't played one but I've heard they are awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWs46OmRu1s

$300-500 on ebay.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Sorted. Cheers, i'll take a look

100 watts is only about twice as loud as 10 watts for tube amps, so 40 watts will still be loud as hell.

Ive got a VHT special (6 watts), and a valve jr (5 watts), and both can be heard clearly outside my house when turned up.
The special 6 is cool because it has a half power switch and hi and low inputs, which definatley helps some.
Last edited by mcamp1230 at Apr 15, 2011,
Jet City? The little 20W?
Thanks for the replies, i'll be looking them all up

Depending on how big the dorm is a 40w could work. I've seen some dorms that are really small that could hold a tiny practice amp at best, if thats the case just run a pedal through it
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
Trust me 40 watts is far too loud for Uni Halls. Try and get a tiny 5 watter, Blackstar HT-5 would be perfect for what you want.
Amps:
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb
Laney VC15
Cabs:
2x Blackheart 1x12
Guitar:
PRS SE Soapbar II
Pedalboard:
Line 6 M13, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Digitech Synth Wah, Boss SD-1, Biyang OD-8 (Tubescreamer Clone)
Band:
Fixtures <<Click Here
I'm going back into halls the year after next, so I've been thinking about this too. Think I'm just gonna get an Epi Valve Jr, mod it for an FX loop, and use that. Small, cheap, pretty, and takes pedals well. Worth thinking about.
Ibanez Musician ('78)/Epiphone G-400/Fender Lite Ash Telecaster/Michael Kelly Valor X->Polytune->EX-7->Crybaby->OD-9->BD-2->EVH Phase 90->Hayden Mofo

Send->EHX DMB->DL-8->RV600->Return

Friends are like potatoes: If you eat them, they die.
a pod hd maybe
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II