Ok, so I was reading a book (Scorpia Rising, the last Alex Rider book) and there is a part where a man falls into a pile of salt that has been extracted from a salt lake. the book describes the salt going through his pores and "cooking" him alive. White foam comes out of his mouth and eyes and he sinks below the salt and dies.

I've heard this happens to slugs, but I think it might be bullshit that it happens to humans. So yeah, could you faithful UG'ers help me with this matter thank you
Think about what you're saying.

EDIT: To below: But that's not what OP is suggesting.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Apr 15, 2011,
Yes, it essentially "cures" the body, that is why sailors used to pack the meat and fish in salt, to preserve it.

Put some salt on a patch of skin, leave it there for a while, you will get a chemical burn.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
'Alex Rider is a series of spy novels by British author Anthony Horowitz about a teenage spy named Alex Rider. The series is aimed primarily at young adults.'

A children's novel is the height of scientific knowledge.
No. That's stupid.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
'Alex Rider is a series of spy novels by British author Anthony Horowitz about a teenage spy named Alex Rider. The series is aimed primarily at young adults.'

A children's novel is the height of scientific knowledge.

megawatt?!

It won't cook ya, just make things painful... never pour salt on open wounds y'know.
The negative chloride ions might perhaps also make stuff on your skin oxidise. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

I've read Stormbreaker btw, which is another Alex Rider novel, and that one was cool. Don't remember much of it since I did that eight or nine years ago.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Apr 15, 2011,
Maybe if you were in it for a very long time. Slugs breath through their skin, human skin is much less permeable than a slug.
'Salt Caves' are a way of cooking certain foods - it pretty much involves encasing said food in a shell of salt, leaving it for a few hours, then cracking it open.

It can make some pretty good food, sometimes...
My Gear:
Guitars:
Dean Cadillac
Gibson SG
Custom-made V

Amp:
Randall RM100M

FX:
Boss TU2 Tuner
Jim Dunlop Zakk Wylde Sig. Crybaby Wah
Digitech "The Weapon"
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Digitech Synth Wah
Digitech Whammy
Something tells me that Mythbusters should do this.
Quote by maidenrulz19
When playing any pokemon game and encountering a fisherman with 5 or 6 FUCKING MAGIKARP!!!!!!! I mean the thing is useless and it only gives like 7 exp points each. Yeah eventually that guy can have an army of gyarados but still.
Sort of related, I heard that you can cook tilapia in just lime juice, but online sources vary. Has anyone done it?
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']Sort of related, I heard that you can cook tilapia in just lime juice, but online sources vary. Has anyone done it?

Not tilapia but other fish, yes, it is called ceviche and it is really good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceviche
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Only if you are a Sload living in Thras.

/elderscrollslore
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Only if you happen to be a slug.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Osmosis, broski. If you were to fall into a big pile of salt and were left to lay there a while, I'd imagine it'd suck the water from your body through the cell membrane the same way it would a slug, but it would take a good while for anything noticeable to happen.
Is it any good, I've read pretty much all of the series (as a kid mind you) and wondered if this was worth getting?
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by SlayingDragons
Osmosis, broski. If you were to fall into a big pile of salt and were left to lay there a while, I'd imagine it'd suck the water from your body through the cell membrane the same way it would a slug, but it would take a good while for anything noticeable to happen.

Pretty much this.

It'd dry you out, cause a lot of soreness and eventually "burn" it's way through your body. But i have a feeling that this would take far too long for it to be truly noticeable.
Quote by Shredx
Is it any good, I've read pretty much all of the series (as a kid mind you) and wondered if this was worth getting?

Yeah it's really good, my favourite next to Eagle Strike and a character who has been in the series since the first book dies
I read somewhere that THC kills slugs and snails, someone please test this for me since I don't want to kill something myself

Also super nostalgia at Alex Rider, I stole the first three books from a library when I was a kid because my dad wouldn't let me buy them and I want to give them back now but it'll be too awkward

I didn't like the Stormbreaker movie though
cat
Quote by Sizzleby
Something tells me that Mythbusters should do this.

Using TS as the new 'Buster'.