Page 1 of 2
My friend gave me his violin today and I've never played one before I was wondering where I could learn to play for free? I have looked online but not found much useful information.

Help please

Also do any of you play? And do you find it easier or harder than playing the guitar?
* If my punctuation seems off, it's because my shift button is broken *
That's funny...I was thinking about getting a violin and asking this question.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Got a yeah, fuck violin!

EDIT:

Quote by kbabz22
My friend gave me his violin today and I've never played one before I was wondering where I could learn to play for free? I have looked online but not found much useful information.

Help please

Also do any of you play? And do you find it easier or harder than playing the guitar?

This is the most retarded question i've ever seen. It's completely different.

It's like asking if playing a trumpet is hard than playing a flute.
Played violin for like 13 years, i'd say its a lot harder than guitar
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
haha my friend bought a violin last year played it for like 5 mins it sounded like shit and hasn't touched it since haha.... I find it amusing, but I would love to learn how to play it one day.
GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe
ESP LTD EX-360
Peavey VYPYR 30W

"There's nothing constant in the universe.
All ebb and flow, and every shape that's born,
bears in it's womb, the seeds of change".

The most badass violinist ever.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by Maillouxlp18
haha my friend bought a violin last year played it for like 5 mins it sounded like shit and hasn't touched it since haha.... I find it amusing, but I would love to learn how to play it one day.

Luckily I got it for free then
* If my punctuation seems off, it's because my shift button is broken *
Quote by National_Anthem
I play.
You should get a teacher, it's difficult and extremely easy to develop bad habits.

This.

I'd say, on the closest-to-objective level possible, it's a lot more technical to play violin. Lot more muscle memory, absolute correct technique, note position memory etc. There's a lot more to do wrong, and if you don't learn right, you won't progress. Unlike guitar where you will progress, just slower and with bad technique.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

I like how you put a pic of him and how badass he is
But no name, is he just so badass that he killed his own name or something?
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at Apr 15, 2011,
I don't care what anyone says, violin is manly as ****.
I'm just like the Jonas Brothers,

I'm no longer relevant and write mediocre music.

Quote by kbabz22

Help please

STEP 1= learn how to put your fingers EXACTLY on the notes using tuner
STEP 2=practice, learn simple songs
STEP 3= ????
STEP 4= profit
I have one, cant tune it. get one string in tune and all the other go out of tune. not worth trying to play...

As soon as I replace the tuners on my strat, the old ones are going on the violin.

**** tuning pegs.
"I can see that we speak the wrong notes."

Warlock NJ Deluxe (haters gonna hate)
Crate EL-10G
With violin, lessons are pretty much mandatory.

There's considerably more technique and theory than with guitar, and you MUST be able to read music. I played violin for 8 years, and it would take you 3-4 years of >hour a day practicing to get to this level.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

I beg to differ:

Showcased here
TO = used for expressing motion or direction toward a point, person, place, or thing approached and reached, as opposed to from

TWO = the number 2

TOO = in addition; also; furthermore; to an excessive extent or degree
Violin is infinitely harder than guitar. Try to learn with proper position and be sure you know how to read music. Proper position is probably the most important thing, and there's a lot of it. It's nowhere near as simple as 'keep your thumb on the back of the guitar neck.' Violin is also entirely dependent on technique. Give a first timer the nicest guitar in the world plugged into the greatest amp and tell him to play a G chord- sounds great. Same scenario with a violin- sounds like the song of a raped whale that's crapping in your face. It's going to take awhile to get good at it without sacrificing technique and all that stuff. I hope I demoralized you as much as I think I did, good luck!
........................,;:/|Simply~~Strings|\:;,......................
Quote by JustRooster
I love you forever.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
That Rick Roll was extremely well played.
Quote by dwnbowden
I beg to differ:

Showcased here

He has nothing on the badass shit that Warren Ellis does.

Look at this and this
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
You lucky bitch, I've always wanted to own a violin.

I tried it once, found it quite hard. I really don't like pressing my chin down on it, I'd much rather play a cello.
violins are cool, but I'd prefer like a cello or double bass or something. I don't know much about any of them, so forgive me if I said something stupid
Violin is easy to play. Trying to maintain friends and relationships while learning is extremely difficult however.

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Strat007
With violin, lessons are pretty much mandatory.

There's considerably more technique and theory than with guitar, and you MUST be able to read music. I played violin for 8 years, and it would take you 3-4 years of >hour a day practicing to get to this level.

i used to play when i was younger,

i was at that level with about 1 hr practice, maybe 2 a week, after 3-4 years ish. (except for the vibrato)

then i quit lessons and havent picked it up since... a good 6 years ago likely now...
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quit being a cheap ass and getting shit for free. Pay for a teacher if you really want to learn
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Nice! I've never seen a left handed violin, so I'm just not going to learn to play. :|
On the other hand, everyone plays flute lefty, so I'mma learn that.

GL OP. I've heard Violin is hell.
I learn everything from youtube.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Become this man
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by National_Anthem
I play.
You should get a teacher, it's difficult and extremely easy to develop bad habits.
This so much.

Playing the violin requires correct technique. On guitar, bad technique might stop you from being a super fast player but you'll still be able to play. On violin, bad habits will make your skill level plateau FAST. It's also a lot harder to make a nice sound on a violin (most people have encountered the ear ache that is listening to a begginer practicing) and without a teacher it's likely that you'll give up before this happens simply because the progress will be so slow.

Also, be patient. Violin has a much slower learning curve than guitar. On guitar you can learn 3 chords then play them and sound half decent, whereas on violin it will be YEARS, yes years, before you can play to a level that anyone would want to here. Generally, it takes at least about 5 years before you can play real pieces (as opposed to pieces written specifically for people learning) to a reasonable standard.

However, I encourage you to stick with it!! I've been playing the violin for almost 8 years and it's a great feeling when you play something really really well because it's such a beautiful instrument. But I know that I wouldn't be half as good without a teacher. Find somewhere sound proof to practice and ignore anyone who tells you it sound horrible (everyone sound horrible to begin with) and go for it.

Quote by JimmyBanks6
i used to play when i was younger,

i was at that level with about 1 hr practice, maybe 2 a week, after 3-4 years ish. (except for the vibrato)
1 hour a week for 4 years? I highly doubt that.

Tbh, I would guess that your ear wasn't developed enough of you weren't listening properly - and that if you had a recording of yourself now you would hear the difference.

And I know how condescending that sounds and I am sorry, I just know from experience that the better I get the more problems I can hear in my own playing.
Last edited by 12345abcd3 at May 5, 2011,
Page 1 of 2