what are THE best amps for your buck

i have a budget of 1000$ and i want to know what amp would be THE BEST bang for my buck.

I have a Epi les paul and i play basically every genre under the sun, so any amp that is very versatile is a plus to me.

im not against buying pedals, so if i would need to buy one, lay it on me lol

thanks guys
More info please!

Gig or at home use?
what bands do you like?

btw Fender amps are as versatile as shit!
Might be able to score a used Mesa Mark IV combo.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
SORRY SORRY..

i am currently playing in a band, but not performing. I would be playing mostly at home in my bedroom, and it has to be somewhat portable, because anytime i wanted to play with my band, i'd have to take it up about 2 flights of stairs lol

sorry i wasnt very informative

i like metallica, the eagles, megadeth, red hot chili peppers, Carlos Santana, Ray Charles, Joe Walsh, The Grateful dead, Def Leppard, Van Halen....basically anything from before 1995 lol...
Last edited by VintageAmigo at Apr 15, 2011,
Quote by JagerSlushy
Might be able to score a used Mesa Mark IV combo.

you know where i could score a mesa mark iv combo used? i dont live near any music stores, so i would have to order online...
Give us a list of the genres you play most, or examples of bands you play like or want to sound like.

There is (more or less) no such thing as an amp that excels at everything and sounds good doing it. Any amps that can won't be in your budget anyway.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
my PREFERANCES in genre, is blues and classic rock....i enjoy playing metal, jazz, country and all that stuff as well...but if i had to pickup to genres that i play the most, they would be those
my band is shooting for a Eagles/Santana mix sound...so i would want to play something that easily does that...warm and bright sounds like Carlos Santana, but be able to play classic/hard rock like the Eagles

i hope that helps a bit

EDIT:
and yes i know...tone MOSTLY comes from the player...but any upgrade from a Line 6 Spider 4 15w...and its going to sound like god singing My Girl or somethin lol

im just looking for that amp that is the best bang for the price, because theres alot out there that lack in several areas
You should check out a Peavey JSX.

If you're not in any hurry. the XXX II is the same amp, and it should be available soon. It's cheaper though, which means it'll be cheaper when it hits the used market. It will probably be at least another year before you start seeing them used though.

As for a cab, a 2x12 would be good. The JSX is usually around $700 used though, so I'm not sure if you could get a good cab with $300 or not. You may be able to score a Mesa 2x12 for that cheap if you're lucky.

Or you could get an empty 2x12 for $100 or so, then put whatever speakers you want. I have read that V30's sound good with the JSX.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
ya, i'll be able to wait up to around july this year, then i'll either be banking the money, or spending it on something else

EDIT: AHHH...a year, no lol, i couldnt wait that long...the JSX looks really good. i had actually never heard of it before you mentioned it. Ya, buying a cab for 300$ could be a bit hard...maybe a Jet City JCA212 cab? Ill look more into the JSX and ill look into a cab

Ya, i know Mesa makes some REALLY good amps, but jesus christ they cost like 1200$+, which is a bit steep for me...if i could find a used combo amp (like you mentioned, the Mesa Mark IV combo used) and as long as it stayed in budget, i'd buy it
Actually, i played a JSX and i liked it...was it worth 100000000$ (exaggeration i know...)

no...but it was a good amp head nevertheless...

i would recommend buying a Kustom '36 Coupe and switch out the speaker with something like a Cannabis Rex or something of that nature

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-36-Coupe-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480794#used

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Eminence-Patriot-Cannabis-Rex-12-50W-Guitar-Speaker-with-Hemp-Cone?sku=660030
Last edited by B.C. RICH5000 at Apr 15, 2011,
ok, how exactly do you change out a speaker? im not exactly a luthier here, and would that speaker even fit the requirements (ohms) that the Coupe has?
i looked how to change a speaker. It seems really easy (actually alot easier than i expected)

but would that speaker fit with that amp? because i love the way that amp looks

EDIT:
i would probably buy it used for the 629$ deal, i wouldnt mind the scratches, i'd fix them just to make it look better

EDIT:
does the ohms have to match, or the speaker wattage? because if so, then there is no way on earth im going to find a 36w speaker to replace that with
Quote by VintageAmigo
i looked how to change a speaker. It seems really easy (actually alot easier than i expected)

but would that speaker fit with that amp? because i love the way that amp looks

EDIT:
i would probably buy it used for the 629$ deal, i wouldnt mind the scratches, i'd fix them just to make it look better

EDIT:
does the ohms have to match, or the speaker wattage? because if so, then there is no way on earth im going to find a 36w speaker to replace that with

Ohms have to match, and a general rule of thumb is that your speaker should be rated to about one and a half times your amp's wattage. It can always be more, but it should never be less.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
If you're primary focus is more the classic rock sound look into Orange. You can get a Tiny Terror at your budget which would be great for solo practice and is more than serviceable for small gigs with a band. For something larger there is the Rocker series (used) if you'd be willing to stretch your budget a bit or the TH30 combo.

Fender's (Dual Reverbs) are also a versatile amp but I've never been a fan of their overdrive tones. If you invest in a good overdrive pedal you can probably get that slick British tone you're looking for - and the Fender is always the top choice for sweet cleans.

Peavy may be an option too.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Last edited by rockxwl at Apr 15, 2011,
I would say twin reverb but i'm biased because i have one, i got mine for 1,300 but for playing lots of different genres it's really good, takes any pedal really well because its a clean amp.

reverb sounds seeeexxy too
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
mark iv is the best bet
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
i would buy the Mesa IV if i could find it anywhere, i cant find a single site that sells them...

And about the orange amp response, ya i love orange amps...they sound awesome, ill look more into those
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
ya, ive heard Egnater is one of the best brands out there...but its top dollar

blackstar is nice, and i've actually played one and i loved it

Ill look into the bogner, its another one of those top quality amps for top dollar
A used Randall RM50 combo.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
1St new mesa amps arent available online
2nd mark iv arent manufactured anymore criaglist is your friend
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Best value in NEW amps for what your looking for are going to be the Bugera 333/xl and Carvin V3.
The Carvin being more versatile...and slightly more expensive. Both come in combo form.
Randall's RT series is also something to check out.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
i would start at the egnaters or the new carvin v3m. that looks looks sooooo versatile.

those are in the 700-800ish range.
Quote by Mr Bombastic
Very good value is the Fender Bullet 150. Nice for trash.

FIXED
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
I'll second the Orange suggestions, perhaps a used AD30?
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
ill look at the Randall...

LOL at the line 6

ill look at the Bugera 333xl, and the Carvin V3m, i've seen both before, but never really looked into them
Quote by B.C. RICH5000

I had one of those not long ago, very good amp, with a tube swap (I think you swap out one of the 12AX7's with a lower gain 12AXU or something) you'll get sweet vintage tones. It'll be great for those harder 80's sounds though, stock.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
awesome, i've had my eye on that particular amp for a LONG time...from the description, its a very biased friendly amp...which is good because i've never done it before...

ya, i would probably swap out the tubes for the vintagy sound as well, because im not too into the whole death metal stuff lol

Its definity going up on my top 3 amp list
Get 10 Pignoses. You'll be able to get those up stairs easily

Serious now, get a Mesa. They're good amps and you can get a nice Rectumfier for under $1k
if i can find one, i'll buy it...im searching Ebay and Craigslist both for a deal lol