Okay I've been wanting to ask this for a while and now we have a drum forum i suppose its as good a time as any.

This is going to be hard to explain : \

so after not being able to find a band in my town ive started (like alot of people nowdays) writing my own songs, where i can play guitar and bass and program the drums to throw together some demos.

now the problem i have is i have pretty much no knowledge of drumming theory which means I have no idea which drums and cymbals are used/intended for what.

so this is where i ask for advice and try not to look like a complete tool : /(which is inevitable) so to start i'll try and explain how i approach it at the moment.

Basically I tend to use the bass drum to either follow the picking pattern for tight chuggy stuff or use it to hold down a beat to play over.

then i tend to use an open hi-hat, crash, snare basically like a metronome. Toms seem to get left out cause i dont know how/where to use them

this basically leads to very boring uninteresting drums that dont help tie the song together but generally gives me something passable to playover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAN76aftm5Y&lc=04vC4-kriBbJ1veGiWj63TrXCAlqmx_ixDVHCQrMLMI&feature=inbox
this is the only example of drums ive programmed

now ofcourse im not expecting anyone to be able to just explain how "drums work" but some tips on the basics of arranging drums and how they work together would be really appreciated.

or any beginner guides would be great aswell

hopefully ive explained this alright

cheers

Nath
I Am Hated
7 String Legion

Ibanez RG1527 prestige (BKP Aftermath)
Ibanez MTM2 black (rockmonkey SoB)
Ibanez MTM2 white (Blackout AHB-3)
Squier "custom" strat (Hot Slag)
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w 112
Pitchblack
TS-9
NS-2
MXR 10 band eq
I think the best thing to do would be to check out some metal (I'm guessing thats what you want to do by the video ) drum lessons on youtube to get an idea of what is generally going to be happening with each drum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyyE0BZi2gI

To to 21:05 for Fills, and 37:50 for Beats.

Hope this helps
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
cheers man ill check it out now
I Am Hated
7 String Legion

Ibanez RG1527 prestige (BKP Aftermath)
Ibanez MTM2 black (rockmonkey SoB)
Ibanez MTM2 white (Blackout AHB-3)
Squier "custom" strat (Hot Slag)
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w 112
Pitchblack
TS-9
NS-2
MXR 10 band eq
Honestly? Just listen to the drums on a given recording. There's no real "lessons" for this kind of stuff. If you know rhythmic theory, it obviously helps so you can tell what's actually being played and stuff. There's no rules about this kind of thing, it's a case of finding sounds that you think are nice and then figuring out what those sounds actually are.