Hello Acoustic & Classical guitar forum. I'm OhtotheNoes, and I have a predicament that I would like your input on.

You see, I've been playing guitar for about 3-4 years, I'm not an avid player, nor do I know much theory. However I really enjoy fingerpicking and the acoustic sound. I'm just not one of those guys you see wailing on the electric pulling off ridiculous solos.

Over the years I've picked up a bad habit, or some bad technique rather. Currently, I only finger pick with 2 fingers (my thumb and index finger). I know you're supposed to use three, but I'm having a hard time adapting to this new technique with the songs I currently know.

So I ask you, what are some good songs for a beginner at fingerpicking, who's been playing guitar for some time? Any genre is good, as long as it helps me improve my technique.

tldr; What are some good beginner fingerpicking songs to learn?

Thanks
Blackbird - the beatles
Quote by Will Swanson
When I pee, it's like squeezing toothpaste out of a tube.

So, to answer your question, no.
Lol Paul McCartney is the guy you don't want to learn finger picking from - He even says his style isn't..."orthodox." With that being said, try one of John's songs that incoporates Travis Picking like Julia or Dear Prudence.

BlackBird is good for beginners, not someone who's been playing for 3 years and already has some knowledge in the art of finger picking.
Dust in the Wind by Kansas is a pretty simple song that's based around 3-finger picking patterns.
modes are a social construct
Quote by Lennon993
Lol Paul McCartney is the guy you don't want to learn finger picking from - He even says his style isn't..."orthodox." With that being said, try one of John's songs that incoporates Travis Picking like Julia or Dear Prudence.

BlackBird is good for beginners, not someone who's been playing for 3 years and already has some knowledge in the art of finger picking.

It's not that I can't finger pick, I just use two fingers instead of three, which is wrong and i'd like to correct it. But as you can imagine, training myself to use the extra finger is basically like starting over again. I'll try Blackbird and see how it goes though

Quote by Hail
Dust in the Wind by Kansas is a pretty simple song that's based around 3-finger picking patterns.

Thanks man, I'll give it a try. I've actually been meaning to learn it for ages but I always put it off.
Quote by OhtotheNoes
It's not that I can't finger pick, I just use two fingers instead of three, which is wrong and i'd like to correct it. But as you can imagine, training myself to use the extra finger is basically like starting over again. I'll try Blackbird and see how it goes though

It's not like starting over, it's much more easier.
Yes, at first it's confusing but you'll get used to use three fingers fairly quickly.
just practice it a little bit.
fingerpicking songs:

milk thistle - conor oberst
in the sun - joseph arthur
amazing grace (intermediate)
heartbeats - joze gonzales (intermediate - harder to play it how he plays it)
here comes the sun - the beatles (int)
soldiers poem - muse
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger