Quote by clevelandcavs22
When it starts to sound bad or they explode

Pretty much.
My rock & roll setup

PRS Tremonti SE
Boss OS-2 Distortion/Overdrive pedal (Modded)
Vox VT15 Modeling amp

Acoustic!
Fender DG-8S (Now with a piezo transducer)
When chuga chuga's become less chugier
and the amp loses it balls
use your ear
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Does volume have anything to do with it too? I find myself having to crank my head (50 watts) to about 6-7 at band practice. I use a 212 cab that's sitting on a chair and we do play pretty close together. All I know is that even on 10 the head really isn't that loud.
Quote by glamourkilledme
Does volume have anything to do with it too? I find myself having to crank my head (50 watts) to about 6-7 at band practice. I use a 212 cab that's sitting on a chair and we do play pretty close together. All I know is that even on 10 the head really isn't that loud.

Sounds like it could be a tube problem. About how old is your amp? Also, do you know when the tubes were last replaced?
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
You should always have spares. When you think your tube might need changing you throw in the spares. You'll know soon enough if that is your problem.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have no idea how old this thing is (I bought it on ebay). However, I think I'm gonna give replacing the tubes a shot. Can anyone give me a run through on changing tubes? And also, tube suggestions would be appreciated. I'm playing a Marshall DSL 50
Quote by glamourkilledme
I have no idea how old this thing is (I bought it on ebay). However, I think I'm gonna give replacing the tubes a shot. Can anyone give me a run through on changing tubes? And also, tube suggestions would be appreciated. I'm playing a Marshall DSL 50

Replacing tubes is pretty simple: you just pop the tube out and put a new one in it's place. There is really only one way to put it in properly, so just make sure everything aligns properly and carefully push the tube in.

For a more detailed explanation, check this out. Almost all of the info is correct except for the info on Mesa tubes.

You will really want to start with just replacing the power tubes at this time, as those are the main ones that will go bad. There are also preamp tubes, but they usually last a pretty long time before needing to be replaced.

As for recommendations, since it is a Marshall you will want to go with some type of EL34 Power Tube if you want the typical Marshall-esque sound. I use Tung-Sol EL34Bs myself, as they have a bit of 6L6 Character in the Cleans (Smoother midrange with a sparkle in the highs and nice lows) but have the typical EL34 midrange emphasis when pushed harder.

You might want to consider sending an e-mail to Doug at dougstubes.com as he is very knowledgeable about this sort of thing. He should get back to you in a day or so.

Hope this helps!
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
I exclusively use SED EL34s, but the prices are significantly higher now than they used to be.

That won't deter me, but it's something to consider for your own purposes.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.