So... I've recently started a band with my other friends who are a guitarist and bassist. We are starting to write some songs first and then introduce a drummer once we have like 4-5 songs completed. Im having trouble writing some songs though because I dont really know the "correct" song structure. I know it typically goes Intro/Verse/Chorus, etc... But I dont really know how to make 2 riffs transition well nor do i really know to make a chorus... How its gone so far is that i write 2 riffs and just mash em together and hope it sounds good. Is there any tips or anything when it comes to making riffs transition well with one another?

Any help is appreciated
Thanks!

Peavey 6505+
Les Paul Custom Silverburst

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Black Label Society 3/7/09
Black Label Society 5/4/09
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10
Before 100000000 other people say it... Learn your theory. Although that hasn't helped me a ton... My suggestion would be to actually set time aside to make thing "fit". I believe it's a skill just like any other and if you don't practice it, well it won't be so good.
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

You should get a drummer before you write, it makes things a lot easier. Also you'll just know them and have made them all together. I always start my songs alone, find what sounds good for me (the guitarist and vocalist of my songs), then bring what I have to band practice and they come up with their parts. That's what works for us, but we have a drummer who has played forever and a bassist who is really good. Also, accept everyone's ideas, just give them a try even if you don't like it you can always change things back later or modify them.
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
Also what 2nd reply said, you have to know what you are playing, like if it's in the key of C then you want everything to be in that key, learn theory.
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
Do you think it would be a good idea to just look at a scale (D natural minor for example) and just strictly use those notes to make up a song? We play a lot of lamb of god style riffs so I think it would be easier to use a scale like that to make a song, would that be correct, in terms of theory?

Peavey 6505+

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10
it should come naturally,id get a drummer sooner than later though,give it a few weeks and im sure u will find it easier.
Develop the Intro to the Vers and to the Chorus. Means:
You need to develop a feeling of what is a kinda versriff and intro etc...
The Chorus is in most Cases more atmospheric and catchy than any other riff in the song.
If you are not disclined to melody you should try to have a typical chord progression for it.
like I -IV -V...

If you build a riff for vers it should as far as you are not a hyper-progressive band a good part to do some lyrics, telling stories etc....over it.

I dont think you need a drummer to continue. take some Gpro drums or a drummachine to stay in time or whatever.

You have a situation where you should not stop only because a drummer is needed to jam songs immediatly. You can write a song without a drummer and still feel what fits over it and how it develops.

So You do a LOG style.
From my Experience with them:
if you wanna stay on this, do what they do or watch their tabs.
They have generally a clischee structure.
A vers riff like bar 9.... that ends on a way to the starting note. or squeely.
Squeely are often like a point of sentence. They are kinda dissonant and so introdruce the new riff. Chorus etc ....

To emphasize a coming chorus use chromatic or ascending or descending chords.

...try to return to the first note. So I start on the blank E(C) string. Whatch your scale and use the neighbor to return to it smoothly or build a progression of notes that lead to the chorus like I did.

The Chorus uses more space and wide range of chord change. For the atmosphere.

Keep it simple so it can hit you.

Look at the gpro I made.
use it abuse I dont care. Thats my clischee of your style music...So the concept is clear.

For the drumms just think of what a drummer should play not would. You gotta know if it should blast, groove or swing.
Attachments:
LOGlike.gp5
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IF YOU READ 'H' I MEAN 'B'

GERMAN H = AMERICAN B

Writing music is like everything else, its going to start off slow but once you have practice under your belt then it because a lot easier.
And I agree learn some theory, it can help you expand some of your songs to be a little more "spicier"

And the last thing is commit and submit, just writing something you always can go back and change it. Im writing a song writing now and I have it almost complete. Except for most of the instrumental section that is going to lead to the outro. I just get something down that I think is good at the moment and listen to it later, if I still like it then ill keep it if not I can change it

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
I put one of our songs in my profile. It was recorded with a low quality mic that we just put in the room... so it is what it is. Anyway, I would definitely appreciate some feedback. C4C? The song is in my profile and its called "Band Song #1"

Peavey 6505+

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10
It sounds derivative. It's ok, but it doesn't sound like anything other than a bunch of repetitive riffs slung together in a drop tuning. Its impossible to judge a song without context though. To me it's not a song till it's done. It's like looking at an embryo and determining what it will look like as a baby.

Sean