Has anyone in here ever asked them self this? I have been asking my self this question for awhile now.

Back Story:
Truth is, I've always wanted to get an electric guitar. That's what I wanted to play originally, my friends convinced me to get a Bass, because we wanted to start a band.

I was gonna get a guitar anyway, I found an awesome strat at a local guitar store. I walked in to buy it the next day but when i went to the store, the guitar i wanted got sold 30 mins before I walked in. I looked around saw a Jazz bass and bought it cash saying i'd give it a chance.

I picked up bass pretty quickly, And I enjoy playing it. I'm good at holding down rhythm and backing up the guitarist, while following the drummer. I've been playing for 8 months now.

The truth is though even though I hate admitting it, sometimes the passion isnt there, when I hit a wall I really have to fight myself to keep going and i find my self composing lines that incorporate chords and bends. Also when jamming with my friends, i find myself wanting to following the guitarist's lines, rather than stay in my own pocket.

My technique has gotten better, I'm starting to understand the instrument more, but i can't help this guitar envy I feel.

The messed up thing though is having played a bass for this long whenever I pick up a guitar it feels very strange, the frets are too small the strings feel weak and fragile, and the notes sound very very high to me.

I'm getting a guitar this summer.

Important bit:
I guess my question is have you guys ever gone through this? and if so how did you end up sticking to your instrument.

I know im committing blasphemy and my bass is looking at me right now with utter disdain but i cant help it damn it lol
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
I got a bit tired of electric guitar, so I bought a bass(you're going to get a guitar). Playing it for awhile and using it regularly like your bass might make you more interested in guitar, or not. BTW the guitar you get doesn't have to be an expensive one.

Tips for buying your first electric:

1. Avoid Squier (they are only good for basses)

Thats about it
I started out as a guitarist, but I have played bass over the years as well. In truth, there is so much overlap between the two that learning to play both is inevitable.

I have a buddy who is an amazing guitarist and bassist at the same time. I'd say go for it, being a more well rounded musician can't be a bad thing right?

Quote by JKHC

1. Avoid Squier (they are only good for basses)

Thats about it

Not so. If you get a good deal on them and have a small amount of electronic knowledge they can be amazing guitars. I would know, I have three, and I'm buying a 51 tomorrow. They have amazing potential.
Last edited by hawk5211 at Apr 15, 2011,
Why stick to 'your' one instrument? Play as many as you want.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
im the opposite ive been playing bass for 6 years and im now picking up a guitar. I dont feel the need to play it it's just fun to mix it up a little. No harm getting a cheap guitar and if anything you always have the bass to fall back on.
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
I've been playing bass for 5 and a half years. I really prefer it over guitar, but for those few self-doubting moments, I recommend listening to bassists who push the boundaries. Rush is a great example: Geddy Lee maintains the rhythm while making it interesting and fun. Slap/pop is also a great style: check out Flea and Les Claypool, they also make the bass a self-sustaining instrument. I even study classical guitarists at times and try to replicate what they do, but in a more bass-y way haha.
Quote by JKHC

1. Ignore me.

Thats about it

Fixed.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to play another instrument, and I really don't get where you're getting this idea that you HAVE to stick with Bass from. If you don't like it anymore, don't do it anymore. If you take a break from it for a while and play some guitar/piano/violin or whatever you'll probably find you'll come back to it later on with a whole new outlook on it from what you've learned from the new instruments you've tried. There's no set in stone way to play the bass either, if you want to incorporate more bends and chordal stuff into your playing there's no reason you shouldn't.
Just do what you wanna do man.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Yeah im thinking that picking up electric guitar can only help me become a better all round musician. Thanks for the tips guy its cool to know im not the only one who thinks like this
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
It's not really a big deal to want to learn another instrument. Go ahead, learn the guitar, you might also pick up some stuff in the guitar that you can apply to improve your bass technique and vice versa.

I play both, but I'm better and more comfortable with my bass. But when I play my guitar, it doesn't mean that I'm throwing away my bass.

I think I've got some tips for to get your inspiration back:

1) Try listening to the songs that made want to play the bass in the first place. After that, you try playing it in the bass.

2) Get a band, and play as the bassist. I swear, this one helped me a lot at times when I doubted.

3) Every once in a while, try picking up the bass and just play around with it. Maybe make your own bass line for a random song.

As for the guitar, I don't really know anything about buying them. So I can't help you with that.
Eh Lol
i started as a bassist and switched to a guitar. It's quite easy once you get it, but until you do, it's very weird.

I say do it! I play lots of rock and metal guitar but prog rock and blues/jazz on my bass.

What i find works, is when you hear a song, play it. If it has a sick baseline, do that. if the solo is sweet learn that. Play the cooler part. since both instruments are very similar, the swithc is easier than say, Violin to doublebass or vice versa.
Quote by hawk5211

Not so. If you get a good deal on them and have a small amount of electronic knowledge they can be amazing guitars. I would know, I have three, and I'm buying a 51 tomorrow. They have amazing potential.

I have heard that the new 51 is supposed to be just like the Fender version with very little difference in sound quality (Yet its $500 cheaper). In most cases Squier isn't a very good brand and is used mainly by beginners.

Do what I did when I started: Go to GC or a local music store and buy used. There might be a really good buy. I got an ART300 for $200 after the list price of a new one dropped from $800 to $400
Quote by JKHC
In most cases Squier isn't a very good brand and is used mainly by beginners.

Mainly by beginners because of the price point, mainly snobbed by more experienced players because of the price point. The VM and CV series' guitars are of the same quality of thier bass counterparts. Please get a clue. I could make a pretty large list of brands that I'd have a Squier over.

The original 51 is a Squier by the way, the new one is a Fender.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I started as a drummer, picked up the guitar, then picked up the bass, then started singing, and now I'm starting to learn piano. Each and every instrument you play gives you a different outlook on the others. Don't stick to just one instrument-it would be like a painter only using one color. Expand your instrumental horizons. Now, if you pick up a few instruments, it's possible that you will have favorites and least-favorites, etc. Just roll with it, and gain as much knowledge and experience as possible.

As far as buying a guitar goes, here's my two pence:
Pick them up and play around with them, feel the frets,
the action, the neck, the body even. If it doesn't feel
right then find another one you like and do the same thing.
8 months is a far cry from a long time. I've been a multi instrumentalist for over 30 yrs. Playing several instruments can help you grow as a musician and help you understand how they can interact with each other. I play guitar(1st choice), bass( got into that because of band egos), keyboards(ain't no Billy Joel here), and violin (if you need something that sounds like a sack full of screeching cats I'm your guy!).
The point is I enjoy doing them all. Depending on what instrument is played can somehow influence the styles and type of music is made.
Also if I'm recording something at 2 or 3 in the morning I can't call any of my friends to lay down a synth part, can do it myself.
Play, Enjoy, Explore, Expand. Prince did all the parts on his first record and did pretty well for himself.
All my guitars are old enough to buy beer, are You?
Why not play both?
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Billy Sheehan is a god of bass. I think you need to listen to songs with more prominant bass in them. If your a metalhead, check out Frantic Disembowelment by Cannibal Corpse. If your a classic rocker, Rush's 2112 is sure to please. If you want something in the middle of these, try Scarified by Racer X.

You should also listen to bass tracks like this one of Holy Wars in the link below. Listen to Juniors technique at 1:25, he almost made me a bass player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rN5N84lUFY
I play guitar, but some close friends were forming a band and they needed a bassist. They let me use an entire bass rig and I wanted to play with other people so I gave it a go.

I had fun playing the bass, I like it, but I couldn't go through with playing in a band playing an instrument I knew I didn't want to play live, so I didn't.

I didn't want to half ass it, even when i was practicing with the bass I wanted to play the guitar more and I didn't want to bring the bands sound down with me.
To the guy who said Squier only makes good basses, you obviously haven't played any of their VM strats.

OT:

I am the exact opposite of the OP. I started playing guitar years and years ago but no matter what I did I just couldn't find that really low deep sound I liked. I had trouble playing chords (still can't do it) strings always felt like they were going to break, even today when I tune a guitar i move the guitar away from me in fear of snappage.

Then one fateful day about 10 years ago I walked into a pawn shop and saw a Hamer slammer P bass and gave it a whirl.
From the first note I was hooked. I thought to myself THIS IS THE SOUND I WANT!!!
I promptly bought the slammer, then weeks later had to sell everything for rent.

I waited a good 6 or 7 years before I decided to get back into it. The first thing I reached for was a bass.

Long story short I AM A BASS PLAYER, Sure I own a few guitars, but only to muck around on and thats it.

My main weapon of choice is and always will be a P bass.

Do I get guitar envy?
Nope. Why? because while the guitarist has a bunch of sweaty guys banging their heads, I make the ladies shake their asses.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Last edited by Alucard817 at Apr 16, 2011,
Every instrument you learn to play will move you towards being a musician, rather than just a say "Bass player" or "guitarist" or "drummer". Most of the best bass players I know are multi-instrumentalists. Learning guitar will give you more insight into playing bass. I'm luck in that I live with a guitarist and a drummer. When I need a creative break from bass, I play guitar or drums. Or play the cheap keyboard we have about. Its all good.

I played guitar for a long time before picking up the bass. While I think I related and I am drawn to the low end more than guitar, I still play both and enjoy playing both. Music is not a this or that situation.
I play both guitar and bass but I still consider myself to be a bassist though I don't bass in any of the bands I'm part of now.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I asked myself that once... and the answer I came up with is simple. I didn't want to be just a bassist or guitarist. I WANTED TO BE A MUSICAN!!!

A guy like Stevie Wonder can play only god knows how many instruments and he always keeps his voice as a musican regardless if he sings, plays piano, harmonica, drums ect... that's what I strive for.

"Every instrument sounds the same laying on the floor, unplayed!!!"
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Last edited by TheMooseKnuckle at Apr 16, 2011,
Quote by anarkee
Every instrument you learn to play will move you towards being a musician, rather than just a say "Bass player" or "guitarist" or "drummer".

+1

I actually don't play guitar much at all, if any really. And although bass is my primary instrument, I still try to keep my chops up at piano, ukulele, and my woodwinds. There's no real negative impact to playing multiple instruments, learning to play guitar or anything else for that matter will only broaden your horizons and your understanding of music.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
it never hurts to learn a new instrument but I gotta say, I've always been inspired by not only amazing bassist like Ryan Martini and Flea but even my step-dad who had all the gear and i saw play some much. I mean just being around the instrument made me want to play it, but recently i have found myself wanting to fiddle around with the acoustic guitar we own. Its not a bad thing to want to learn more music, but you do want to play where your talent lies and all these things you learn will help your talent.