So, I'm trying to work on my finger picking speed. The songs I'm trying to learn are barely in my speed range with a pick, but I really prefer the sound of fingers. I was hoping someone had either some videos or articles that describe proper technique for the right hand. I feel like even for slower, constant rhythms, my fingers might get caught on the strings and I "stumble" a bit. Obviously the best way to improve is to just play with a metronome/etc, but I want to make sure I'm not developing bad habits along the way.
just start really slowly with the metronome at like 50 or 60 bpm and play straight 4ths on each beat. then gradually speed it up until you are comfortable playing on each beat up to like 100/110 bpm.
you can then slow the metronome back down again and this time play 2 notes per click and gradually speed up.
this can be repeated for 3, 4 and greater numbers of straight notes per click.
you can also then move onto to practice things like gallop rhythms (but only when you are really comfortable playing straight notes quickly and evenly).

that should really help build the strength and speed of your fingers, without sacrificing volume or control.
My Setup:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass,
Fender USA Jazz Bass
Hartke LH1000,
Hartke Hydrive 410,
Sansamp BDDI,
Electro-harmonix Black Finger Compressor.
The technique used to get VERY fast is something like this

R M I R M I R M I R M I R M I R
1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4

It's quite hard to get your head around though, starting the accent on a different finger in rotation.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire

It's quite hard to get your head around though, starting the accent on a different finger in rotation.

i would tend to avoid trying three finger exercises until you are completely happy with playing with two fingers up to a good speed.
My Setup:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass,
Fender USA Jazz Bass
Hartke LH1000,
Hartke Hydrive 410,
Sansamp BDDI,
Electro-harmonix Black Finger Compressor.
Quote by ChemicalFire

Just curious: what's the advantage of going R-M-I instead of I-M-R? Is it just easier to get your ring finger to start the cycle over when ending on the index, as opposed to the opposite?
I find it easier to do it R-M-I style, though i only use my ring finger when playing triplets. It's just an extra for me.
It's simply preference, I find going from Ring to Index much easier.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
A good way to improve speed is to reduce your range of motion. The less your fingers move away from the strings, the faster you can come back to the strings. Of course it has already been said, 3 fingers are faster than 2 as well.

When it comes to speed, Billy Sheehan is one of the best. Here is an oldschool video of him demonstrating his right hand technique. Awesome hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okBPsjjvAz0

Also, if you want to get better at ANY technique, thinking too hard about it or trying too hard will only slow you down. Remember to stay relaxed. When I'm learning new techniques, I sharpen them by sitting down on my couch with my bass and turning on my TV. I try to focus on the TV while practicing the technique. The only time I purposely shift my attention to the bass is when something just doesn't feel right.
I play guitar in a funky death metal band called Lobotomizer. Listen to our demo here.
I also slap the bass and I'm learning how to tame the sax.
I go to school at Ex'pression College for Digital Arts. Any questions about it? Ask me.
Last edited by jasonofthestorm at Apr 16, 2011,
I found it much easier to start the learning process with all the fingers your going to use instead of using to and then throwing another finger in the mix. Also if your trying to get that fast why not add the pinkey as well? I found it much easier to do any fast paces 4/4 timing with 4 fingers instead of 3. I has i slight studder with 3 for some reason but that may just be me. I always figured why not learn with all your fingers.

Also if your going with a metronome go up the strings as you go because the way you pick each one will be slightly different. An while your at it go up scales with your fretting hand. That way your working on both hands and improving alot more at once.