Just had the most aggravating conversation with a friend who strongly believes that nothing is original, that everything is inherently a copy of something else, but somehow that everything was new at some point but got to a point where things only appear original. My argument was that originality exists in the way we change and 're-create' these influences, that we're all given the same tools but its what we make with them that are original because our experiences are inherently our own/nothing can every happen the exact same way twice.

tl;dr: jacques derrida pisses me off. originality does exist.
wtf

edit: originality does exist, its all around us
I leik music
Last edited by col50 at Apr 16, 2011,
This post has never been posted before. EVER. This is the only time that this exact post has ever been posted, and will ever be posted. There may be other posts similar to it, there may even be posts identical in text and form to it, but they are not this post. This post was posted by me, with my experiences, with my thoughts, on my computer, using my account.
This post is original.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Quote by chaos13
This post has never been posted before. EVER. This is the only time that this exact post has ever been posted, and will ever be posted. There may be other posts similar to it, there may even be posts identical in text and form to it, but they are not this post. This post was posted by me, with my experiences, with my thoughts, on my computer, using my account.
This post is original.

my friend would probably say that because you're posting on here, on an account, on ultimate guitar, at night-time, that you're imitating or were influenced by others have done so.

isn't that aggravating?
Quote by col50
wtf

edit: originality does exist, its all around us

"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by chaos13
This post is original.

That is basically what I came in here to say, but not completely..

Actually that was my only point....

Goddamn you chaos13!

Quote by Sticky Tissues
my friend would probably say that because you're posting on here, on an account, on ultimate guitar, at night-time, that you're imitating or were influenced by others have done so.

isn't that aggravating?

Your friend is only trying to say his thoughts on the subject in a debate, why would you be aggravated by that?

Also, punch you friend really hard in the face for me, would'ya?
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Apr 16, 2011,
Quote by Sticky Tissues

isn't that aggravating?

I would pick him up off the ground and tell him that I was influenced by his stupidity to punch him in the face, and then repeat my statement.

except I wouldn't cause I'm only tough on the internet

Yeah, it's annoying, but just tell him to shut up about it and move on. That, or get him to do some acid.

EDIT:
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
That is basically what I came in here to say, but not completely..

Actually that was my only point....

Goddamn you chaos13!

lol, u are unoriginal cuz you were gonz copy my idears lolz.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Last edited by chaos13 at Apr 16, 2011,
Quote by chaos13
I would pick him up off the ground and tell him that I was influenced by his stupidity to punch him in the face, and then repeat my statement.

except I wouldn't cause I'm only tough on the internet

Yeah, it's annoying, but just tell him to shut up about it and move on. That, or get him to do some acid.

EDIT:

lol, u are unoriginal cuz you were gonz copy my idears lolz.

what's the philosophical counter-argument to post modernism, then? is there one yet?
Quote by Sticky Tissues
what's the philosophical counter-argument to post modernism, then? is there one yet?

Common sense.

I really can't be bothered to care about all these ridiculous philosophical ideas. I'll just let people with less of a life than me bicker about them.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread