Poll Options
View poll results: ?
I support this
292 75%
I don't support this
98 25%
Voters: 390.
Page 1 of 10
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8454857/California-set-to-teach-gay-history-and-rights-in-schools.html

Children would take lessons on issues affecting gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender people, with schools granted discretion about what age to start the lessons. The law was passed by the state's senate and is likely to pass the assembly easily, which is also controlled by the Democrats, before being signed by Governor Jerry Brown. The legislation, sponsored by Democrat Mark Leno of San Francisco, passed on a 23-14 party line vote. "We are second-class citizens and children are listening," he said. "When they see their teachers don't step up to the plate when their classmate is being harassed literally to death, they are listening and they get the message that there is something wrong with those people." Republican state Senator Doug La Malfa opposed the bill saying: "I'm deeply troubled kids would have to contemplate at a very, very early age, when many of us are teaching abstinence ... what is sexuality."
California law already requires schools to cover the contributions to the state and nation of women, African Americans, Mexican Americans, entrepreneurs, Asian Americans, European Americans, American Indians and labour activists. The new bill will also add the disabled to the list.

Opinions? I think it's a good idea.
That is kind of gay. Immoral ass well.

Lets start making them **** each other in gym class while we are at it.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Good idea I suppose. It just depends on how young they start teaching this.
RIP Gooze

cats
I find it a little uneasy knowing that a state's education direction is defined by a group of 37 politicians based on party lines, but that's just me...
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by Doug La Malfa
I'm deeply troubled kids would have to contemplate

Yes, I agree, that is the problem with everything.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Good.
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Fender Standard Telecaster HH Black (SH-5/'59)
-Fender Standard Stratocaster HH White (Nazgul/'59)
-Austin Guitars Les Paul Goldtop Copy (Distortion/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+
-Peavey Stereo Chorus 2x12 Combo
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo
-Marshall MX2x12 Cabinet

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Stupid, we even have to take classes on it in the army. why do gays always have to be in the ****in spotlight? Just be gay and stfu!!
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Because people are still being harassed to the point of suicide because of their sexuality.

Most people just want to be gay and get on with their lives, but they're not allowed.

Probably because all they hear in school if how different gay people are from everyone else. They are people just like the rest of us. This bullshit multi cultural-ism and gay history education is only screaming at the kids that these people need to be treated differently. It is sick. We are all people. We are no different from one another.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Because people are still being harassed to the point of suicide because of their sexuality.

Most people just want to be gay and get on with their lives, but they're not allowed.

Doesn't something like this only stimulates seeing them differently. If I were gay I'd being happier being piled up with other(straight) people. Than being seen as some "gay" entity. It's the same thing with black history month
Father of ilikepirates And icesk8erqueen8
every man on here who tries to touch them will get his dick chopped off.

E-married to Shyne <3

Officialy has OddOneOut as e-sexslave

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by BreeBreeMiikey
Stupid, we even have to take classes on it in the army. why do gays always have to be in the ****in spotlight? Just be gay and stfu!!

Because we're staaahrs daaahrling
Or because too few people stood up and did something, though what they did turned out to be extremely important for those of us who walked after them. And far too few people appreciate the struggles that took place to get queers the rights we have now. I believe that's the entire reason we study civil rights in the first place, just replace queers with any "minority."
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Quote by Black Hazard

Lmfao!

But really, I had a gay friend, he wasn't feminine...actually quite manly, but he didn't put himself out there...I do the same with my heterosexuality...its no ones business but mine.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I think most people aren't aware of science behind it and still think it's a choice, that's worth teaching.

I remember being in 7th grade and being sickened by the multi culture day. The way it was presented was like they were showing the children zoo animals. A giant wedge. This is no accident, the government likes us to argue.
Quote by Gabel
I agree with the concept, but I doubt it's gonna promote tolerance very well. Besides, California is already relatively gay-friendly, what we really need is for a state like Texas or Alabama to adopt something like this.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
Because we're staaahrs daaahrling
Or because too few people stood up and did something, though what they did turned out to be extremely important for those of us who walked after them. And far too few people appreciate the struggles that took place to get queers the rights we have now. I believe that's the entire reason we study civil rights in the first place, just replace queers with any "minority."

I grew up in the "ghetto" or w.e you want to call it, and have been beat down for being a whiteboy...discrimation against gays will greatly increase if this happens. And I don't think gays have ever been enslaved, or treated as property other than some kinky gay sex....I also don't think they've had genocide or a mass dislocation and containment(holocaust, japanese internment) commited towards them. Sure they have people who hate them, but toughen up buttercup, I deal with it everyday as well.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
I just got home from a bar where I was enjoying a classic R'n'R band, right up until a gay guy asked me to dance. I had no idea I was in a gay bar. I wasn't too happy with the assumption that because I was there I was gay. I won't go back. The "Angry Bull" in Heber City, Utah is a Gay Bar. Who knew! Makes the name "Angry Bull" much more approriate now! Just not my thing, I'm normal! Sorry Casey, find some other pole sucker!
I'm for it. there is absolutely no reason not to be. it does seem kinda counterproductive, pointing out superficial differences in others. if we're so hellbent on being accepting and pc, why bother.
I just don't understand why it needs to be taught in schools. Is it really a necessary to the young American's education. I understand that gays are bullied and struggle with being gay but teaching about gay rights and history isn't going to change that. People will always see it as taboo, as it is, if it wasn't this wouldn't be an issue. Gays need to understand that it will always be this way and accept it. Instead of shoving it down everyone's throat driving them to be more apposed to it.
Quote by ChucklesMginty

This, there is a hell of a lot of discrimination against gays. It's as bad as racism and yet a lot of people (mostly religious people due to the bigoted teachings of abrahamic books) still refuse to see it as such.
Depends on what age. High School kids should probably start learning about it since it's become prevalent the last 50 years. But like elementary kids? I dunno.

Still don't think it matters though.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
As sad as it is, I don't think that the view on gays or gay rights will change in the near future even if kids learn this at an appropriate age. I voted no mainly because I believe that this will lead to further harassment unless action is taken immediately following the first signs of harassment.
Twitter

LTD EC-1000 (Vintage Black)
Schecter Damien-FR
Crate Flexwave 120W

INDECISIVE AMP FUND: $500/$
Quote by bradulator
Depends on what age. High School kids should probably start learning about it since it's become prevalent the last 50 years. But like elementary kids? I dunno.

Still don't think it matters though.

It matters because people are being discriminated against for something they do not choose (not to mention the fact that it's not hurting anyone and therefore no one should care).

This is not just hate speech i'm talking about either, it's that and then people being attacked or killed or having their home life made miserable, so it's a serious issue and should be taken as seriously as racism or any other issue that is similar to this.
I don't see why people are against this. I mean for god's sake, we teach history of black's, women's, and other different group's movements here and no one treats them any differently because of it.
I agree with Zoot. The only reason, if you can even call it that, that these people have is that an invisible man in the sky tells them that it's wrong. Leave them alone, and let them fuck whoever they choose to fuck. As long as they're not forcing it on people it's fine.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
It's the same as black history month. Do you really need one? I want a heterosexual month and a caucasian history month then!
Dead bull with the life from the low
I'll be massive conquistador
Give me soul and show me the door
Metal heavy, soft at the core
Gimme toro, gimme some more

Steam: Mengsk
MAL
Homosexuality isn't a race, its multi-cultural.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
One step backwards.

Oh, noes! the liberals will get mad at me now.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by peaches58`
I just don't understand why it needs to be taught in schools. Is it really a necessary to the young American's education. I understand that gays are bullied and struggle with being gay but teaching about gay rights and history isn't going to change that. People will always see it as taboo, as it is, if it wasn't this wouldn't be an issue. Gays need to understand that it will always be this way and accept it. Instead of shoving it down everyone's throat driving them to be more apposed to it.

I know a lot of people who aren't gay but still see discrimination as wrong.
Quote by Dregen
I don't see why people are against this. I mean for god's sake, we teach history of black's, women's, and other different group's movements here and no one treats them any differently because of it.

And this is exactly why people are against it. You're grouping people up like it's a natural thing to do. People are people, done.
Father of ilikepirates And icesk8erqueen8
every man on here who tries to touch them will get his dick chopped off.

E-married to Shyne <3

Officialy has OddOneOut as e-sexslave
Quote by Antis0cial
And this is exactly why people are against it. You're grouping people up like it's a natural thing to do. People are people, done.

Far more people are against racism than there are against homophobia, i'd say the anti racism stuff could well be down to more awareness of the problem in schools, and therefore teaching about the same thing with gays in schools can only be a good thing.

On that note, it's ****ing pathetic that there are so many people willing to be homophobic but would probably think twice about doing the same when it comes to being racist..
Quote by Zoot Allures
How is this a step backwards? Things are not good as they are now you know.

Personal opinion. I'd rather not have another one of theses arguments.
Good Day.

^^misuse of the word homophobic. just pointing it out.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Giving gay people what they want the most. Attention...
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
I see this as completely pointless. In an effort to avoid discrimination, we segregate gay people by teaching "their" history.

Check it out, a gay citizen of the United States of America has the same rights as a straight citizen (excluding the marriage thing). So what are "gay rights"? That would be the shortest class in the history of classes. "Gay people can do the same things you can, they just can't be legally married. No, you're not allowed to curb stomp Freddy because he is different."

Gay history, what a joke. A person's contribution to society , and their value in history is based upon the weight of the contribution. Not the fact that he may or may not have been bottoming for some other dude. It is completely irrelevant. Try teaching History, and Civil Rights.

I am not against this in any way, because of the content taught. I believe that both knowledge and tolerance are very important things to teach the youth of America, and the world for that matter. However, I do not see this as a valid path to that goal.
Last edited by Dangertux at Apr 16, 2011,
Quote by :Vicious--
Personal opinion. I'd rather not have another one of theses arguments.
Good Day.

^^misuse of the word homophobic. just pointing it out.

Not really a misuse as such, and you know what i meant. Also, why post your opinions on a forum in a thread like this if you ain't willing to back them up?