I have seen SOOOO many threads with the line

"I can't have a head/cab because the volume is too loud"

or

"It doesn't make sense to have a 100w head when you only play in your bedroom"

I just want all of you to know, that I STRICTLY use my JMP 2203 in my bedroom. I play with it regularly on 1-2........its not overly loud, its very mild in fact........with that said, when you hit 3-4 your walls start shaking, but even at 1-2 I get a nice little crunch.....

Now whats the point of this thread?

BUY what you like......according to every post here I should have some little 5w tube amp, but the fact of the matter is, is the JMP 2203 has always been my dream amp, and just because I don't gig with it, I will NOT let that stop me from having it. Sure the amp sounds better when cranked, and I have had it up to like 6, and thats HUGE loud for a old Marshall. The point is, I love my amp, I play in a bedroom, I have a vintage 100w Marshall..........Don't let wattage or where you play keep you from getting the amp you really want....

now, let me wh0re my amp out.

Limited Edition 1978 Marshall JMP 2203 in Fawn!

Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Last edited by Paith at Apr 16, 2011,
Splawns don't make good bedroom amps, so i can't play them in the middle of the night, but i do have three other 100 watters that are bedroom amps, a 30 watter, a 50 watter, a 15 watter, and maybe a few others i am forgetting.

100 watts works fine as a bedroom amp 99% of the time.

especially if it is an amp engineered to have the distortion come from the preamp.

IF THE GAIN COMES FROM THE PREAMP 99% OF THE TIME 100 WATTS MAKES A FINE BEDROOM AMP.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by whitebluesboy
buy a THD Hotplate, might as well if you are gonna spend that kind of money on a half stack and just keep it in your bedroom. problem solved.

huh?

he was saying there were no problems.

i am not accusing, but do you even understand what and attentuator does? and the relationship between it and volume?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I use a 120w combo just about everyday, in my apartment!
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Gundamnitpete
I use a 120w combo just about everyday, in my apartment!

i've changed my mind.

mojostompboxes.com
I dont know what batman is trying to tell me...
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Last edited by Gundamnitpete at Apr 16, 2011,
Quote by Paith
eye-opener

I love you. i'd been told too many times on here not to buy such amps and go with 20watts or whatever not i'll pass on the bugera v22 and go for that jcm800 stack !xD

really not many people seem to like having such amps for bedroom playing but it rocks.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Splawns don't make good bedroom amps, so i can't play them in the middle of the night, but i do have three other 100 watters that are bedroom amps, a 30 watter, a 50 watter, a 15 watter, and maybe a few others i am forgetting.

100 watts works fine as a bedroom amp 99% of the time.

especially if it is an amp engineered to have the distortion come from the preamp.

IF THE GAIN COMES FROM THE PREAMP 99% OF THE TIME 100 WATTS MAKES A FINE BEDROOM AMP.

+1

unless you just need cleans or use pedals. In which case anything should work, more or less.

I mean I pretty much agree with the opening post, as long as you're not just being daft for the sake of it (100 watt non-master volume marshall as a bedroom amp when you want power tube distortion, say).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't know... I see a lot of threads where a low watt combo is rec'd because the TS says he wants a low watt amp because of volume. At least I see that way more frequently than someone just advising them to go with a small combo because they only play at home.

But yeah, TS is dead on. TONS of monstrous behemoth amps sound just fine at bedroom volume. Of course, I'll never tell my wife that. "Sorry honey, this is as low as it goes"
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Whilst power tube distortion sounds great,that doesn't mean that your 2000 watt diezel/soldana/splawnz whatever will sound like a spider IIIin your bedroom.
If anything,I rather a decent sized amp for bedroom playing.Hell,I play my 200 watt tube head through an 8x10 in a bedroom...my drummers bedroom though,so that's a different case.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Ian hawkins
Whilst power tube distortion sounds great,that doesn't mean that your 2000 watt diezel/soldana/splawnz whatever will sound like a spider IIIin your bedroom.
If anything,I rather a decent sized amp for bedroom playing.Hell,I play my 200 watt tube head through an 8x10 in a bedroom...my drummers bedroom though,so that's a different case.

bass gear things are soo different...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Do you have some kind of persecution issues, threadstarter? If you like your amp, why should you have to justify it to a forum of strangers? If you enjoy practicing on a 100W head, fine. If you like to go shopping for groceries in a Hummer, fine.

And I disagree that 5w amps are the best for practice. From my experience, you can get a lot more out of good multieffects through quality speakers.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

unless you just need cleans or use pedals. In which case anything should work, more or less.

I mean I pretty much agree with the opening post, as long as you're not just being daft for the sake of it (100 watt non-master volume marshall as a bedroom amp when you want power tube distortion, say).

This.

I have used a non-MV 50w Mig 50 at low volumes. I currently get my dirt from a Marshall Guv'nor MK I.

In this sense, I use the pedal to serve the place of a preamp gain/volume control and the amp as the master volume control.

I can starve the input of the amp by keeping the pedal level low and the gain dimed so I can crank the amp a bit more to push the speaker.

Works just fine.

A word of warning though, this set up has the pedal well below unity so if it gets turned off, a LARGE jump up in volume will happen. This can be somewhat mitigated by rolling the guitar volume back and get a little more towards unity in front of the amp.
I like the point of this thread. I'm trying to find my dream amp like you have found. Can I come over to your house and try your marshall amp?
Quote by whitebluesboy
buy a THD Hotplate, might as well if you are gonna spend that kind of money on a half stack and just keep it in your bedroom. problem solved.

Don't.

Hotplates are garbage compared to all the new reactive stuff coming out.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Expandingmind
I like the point of this thread. I'm trying to find my dream amp like you have found. Can I come over to your house and try your marshall amp?

If youre nearby in MO or KS, then certainly!
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203