I've been using my laptop's built in microphone & Audacity for a couple of weeks now, but the quality of the microphone isn't exactly outstanding....

Can anyone recommend a cheap, beginners microphone that I would be able to use with my laptop?

Also, should I use a: USB - XLR cable or a 3.5mm - XLR cable as my laptop doesnt have a 1/4'' socket?
Don't know what your "cheap" is but a really good budget studio mic is the audio technica at2020. It comes in a usb version for your laptop.

What r u recording?
By cheap I mean anything that isn't professional, just something to start with that I can always upgrade. And i'll be recording acoustic guitar and maybe some electric. Any tips of where to position the mic for recording acoustic guitar/amps ?
I suggest the MXL 990 USB, or Audio Technica AT2020 USB. Both are at or above $100 new but are a good start as they have an audio interface built in so all you need to do is plug it into your USB port.
Quote by Slashiepie
to record your voice right ?

Shure SM 58

/faceplam

REALLY?
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
/faceplam

REALLY?

lol *facepunch* to my face for not reading
"that I would be able to use with my laptop"

if you mean shure is a bad recommendation, theyre really really cheap over here in europe and do the work what do you use for voice?
Quote by Slashiepie
what do you use for voice?

A Rode NT1-A. I don't use Dynamic mics for vocals. Honestly, plugging a mic directly into the mic jack on a PC is stupid, especially with a SM57.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
A Rode NT1-A. I don't use Dynamic mics for vocals. Honestly, plugging a mic directly into the mic jack on a PC is stupid, especially with a SM57.

tell that to him , he wants a mic he can plug into his laptop

as for a mic:
Whatever you choose I would get an audio interface first

Save up dude, you wont regret it.
I wouldn't ever reccomend USB mics for serious stuff. For podcasting and making shitty covers and putting it on Youtube, they're fine.

I reccomend getting an interface or even buying a used mixer and buying a Stereo L/R to USB adapter.
You could use the mixer for live sound as well.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by moody07747
I suggest the MXL 990 USB, or Audio Technica AT2020 USB. Both are at or above $100 new but are a good start as they have an audio interface built in so all you need to do is plug it into your USB port.

The MXL's sound pretty damn good for the money.
Do you love Alice In Chains and Metallica? How about Tool and Velvet Revolver?...then you need to check out one of the most refreshing new hard rock bands in awhile...-->The Liberty Underground<--
Just buy a cheap interface and get a SM 58 or something. Probably cost you $150, the 58 will almost always be what you use live, and the interface is something that will always be useful. Though if you really want to go USB, the AT2020 is probably your best bet.