i wanna put 10 i feel that the 9's are just to fragile. I wanna go back to 10 if i do this naturally the neck will have added tension on it. How do i change trust rod? do i have to have the intonation re done again?
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Dude you make a thread like everyday!!

No you won't need to adjust anything really. The difference between 9's and 10's won't make much of a difference.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
The screw for truss-rod adjustments is located at the headstock, directly behind/under the nut.

Turn clockwise for more tension on the rod, counter-clockwise for less. Don't turn too much at once - I have not run into that problem myself, but I've heard about rods breaking with too much adjustment at once. Half a turn at most, then tune the guitar and let it rest for a couple of hours. Or so I've been told. Might be total bollocks, but that way you won't damage anything at least.

When the rod is done, adjust the action and lastly intonation.

A setup done by a tech or luthier doesn't cost too much btw and is a good idea if you're hestitant to do it yourself.

Quote by Gundamnitpete

No you won't need to adjust anything really.

Except if you like the guitar to intonate and play properly.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Apr 16, 2011,
Quote by TheQuailman

this.

but if you only just changed down to 9s from 10s and haven't adjusted anything, it's not likely that you'll need to adjust anything going back to 10s if you want it exactly the way it was - although it's always worth checking anyway.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
shouldnt need adjusting. switched from 10s to 11s without needing to adjust, better sound same tension
do NOT touch the truss rod or intonation adjustments just yet. put the strings on, tune them sharp, give them a few hours, then tune again. then see how it plays. if it's fine, then leave the guitar alone, the chances are that 99.9% of the time, going from 9's to 10's it'll be ok.
IF for whatever reason it doesn't feel right, go to a shop and have them do it, at least if they mess it up they know how to fix it, if you mess it up, you'll be making several more threads about how to fix it...
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by TheQuailman

The total tension on a neck with a typical set of light 9's is 100pounds.

Total tension on a neck with a typical set if tens is 116 pounds.

I've got 50 bucks that says if you switch from 9's to 10's, initiation will be effected very minimally.

I've switched back and forth tons of times. Aslong as your total tension is near the same, a truss rod adjustment isn't need unless the last few cents(which you prolly can't hear) really really bother you.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
I've done it myself often enough as well and always did a minor tweak on the truss rod. It was less about intonation and more about having ideal (and when I say ideal I mean it) playability. Low action and no buzz. I'm not playing a lapsteel, goddammit.

Talking about engineering, a 16% increase isn't negligible.
Quote by TheQuailman
The screw for truss-rod adjustments is located at the headstock, directly behind/under the nut.

That was perhaps the most absurd "advice" ever given.

I clipped all or your rubbish "advice" putting it in the bit bin where it belongs

The very first thing before you make even one adjustment or take a guitar to tech is check the bloody intonation.

If changing for 9s to 10s had any impact on intonation. Which is very unlikely. Then and only then do you worry about the hows and whys of doing a setup...

I hate to tell you how many people over correct and make the setup worse because of the kind of stupid "advice" you gave.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
More string tension -> more neck-bow -> need for a setup.

What the hell is so difficult about that concept?

Of course you check whether anything needs to be done first. That's plain obvious and not a reason to go all high and mighty on me.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Apr 16, 2011,
Don't know but my shop charges £10 (£16) so I'd say about that. Mind you, it's so easy you may aswell just change them yourself unless your worried about going from 9's to 10's.
No idea, but that's really something you ought to learn to do yourself.

Here's a diagram on the subject of tuning pegs:

(Invalid img)

The other end (at the bridge) is pretty self-explanatory. When stringing, leave a bit of slack so you get a winding or two on the tuning peg. Also stretch the strings afterwards, so they won't go out of tune too easily in the future.

I realise you're new to this, but it ain't rocket science. You'll manage.

Btw, does your guitar have a tremolo? If so, you might need/want to adjust the trem's spring-tension (the springs are under the plate on the back of the guitar).
it could make a change.

if you do, change strings and leave them for a few days. see if you notice a change. if you do, tighten the truss about 1/8 a turn. not much!!!! give it about another few days and see how you like it.

its a slow process. you have to let the wood move, and then settle it. you will not notice an immediate change with a truss adjustment.
1 gauge size: Not that big of a deal. Still get it set up and whatever.

2 gauge sizes: Get it set up.

SamAsh does better setups than GC ever will, IMO. I've had to fix GC's "setups" before. But I usually take all my guitars to my friend's shop. He's the best tech I've ever had.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I usualy do change them but now u guys got me worried lol
I got gc 2 year plan to. You think its worth themoney?o yes i have 3 springs. Ill try slinkys im sick of xls ive used them since 03
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Last edited by silly6-string at Apr 16, 2011,
All of GC's plans for covering gear are ****ing pointless. I've had nothing but trouble with them. I don't buy them anymore if I'm forced to buy something from them.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--