Page 1 of 2
Quote by Google
lit·er·al·ly

adverb /ˈlitərəlē/  /ˈlitrə-/

1. In a literal manner or sense; exactly
* - the driver took it literally when asked to go straight across the traffic circle
* - tiramisu, literally translated “pick me up.”

2. Used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true
* - I have received literally thousands of letters

Is this right? I have always been annoyed by the use of the second one, and I thought it was absolutely incorrect. Has this become a second meaning because of Misuse? I was always under the impression that using it in that manner was basically the opposite of what literally really means.

Any Scholars on UG that wish to light my knowledge candle?
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
I literally could care less.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Misuse of a word that literally doesn't exist?
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
Gah, it pisses me off too. That and comma use. Nobody knows how to use a comma anymore. I see so many people say 'the most important thing, is to have good grammar'. That's not correct! The comma is unnecessary. People are butchering the language, making it ugly, and calling it 'evolution'. Learn your goddamn language, you're embarrassing the rest of us who took the time to fully understand it.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Quote by Kensai

So you do care to some degree.
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
It's not misuse, it's hyperbole. I've never understood why people have a problem with it. I perfectly understand what it means and how to use it, but I choose to use it in a different way to create an effect.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
you spelt it wrong to rant about its wrong usage?

sure you are ranting about the grammar about it but wow
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Yeah, that is called Neology. Words can evolve and acquire different definitions/usage over time.
Quote by Sinister Waffle
I am Ozoro, a Ethiopian girl with malaria.
Quote by loonyguitarist
It's not misuse, it's hyperbole. I've never understood why people have a problem with it. I perfectly understand what it means and how to use it, but I choose to use it in a different way to create an effect.

Wouldn't "I have received thousands of letters" be hyperbole enough without adding literally?
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
I'm literally burning with hatred for people who don't use literally correctly.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Quote by Kensai

That pisses me off more.
Member of the 7-String + ERG Legion.
Quote by JimmyBanks6
you spelt it wrong to rant about its wrong usage?

sure you are ranting about the grammar about it but wow

My apologies for misspelling in the title. Firefox doesn't help me out up there so I don't catch typos, which that one was. I spelled it correctly everywhere else.

But, hey! When there's nothing to add to the argument, pick apart TS's spelling!
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
Quote by loonyguitarist

It's not a hyperbole. Saying 'I've received thousands of letters' is a hyperbole. Putting 'literally' in there, by definition, means you're not hyperbolizing the phrase. It means you actually have received thousands of letters. The only effect it has is to make you look like you have no idea what you're talking about.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Quote by muse-ik
Gah, it pisses me off too. That and comma use. Nobody knows how to use a comma anymore. I see so many people say 'the most important thing, is to have good grammar'. That's not correct! The comma is unnecessary. People are butchering the language, making it ugly, and calling it 'evolution'. Learn your goddamn language, you're embarrassing the rest of us who took the time to fully understand it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY
Quote by muse-ik

I literally, agree with this
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
I only use it when something actually happens and no one beleives me. Using it for emphasis to something that didn't happen only takes away the meaning of the word "literally" for me.
^^ Hahah, I'm just kidding.. or am I?

Don't click this.
I literally kill babies everytime I hear someone say that.

trollface.jpg
Quote by damole
what is fap?
how could the second one possibly be a misuse? if you say "I've bought hundreds of these dried seaweed things," someone would say you're exaggerating. if you day "I've literally bapughy hundreds of these seaweed things," someone could open up you cupboard and watch hundreds spill out.

edit: I don't mean it can't be misused, but that it's not always incorrect.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Apr 16, 2011,
Honestly, language does move on, and more importantly, there will alway be a gap between conversational and formal language. People should be allowed to express that difference. Literally still sounds funny to me though:

My friend last night: "I literally went through hell yesterday"
Me: "Did you tell the Devil I'm a'comin'?"
Quote by OldHairyOne
That pisses me off more.

Why? It doesnt effect you in anyway
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by MakinLattes
how could the second one possibly be a misuse? if you say "I've bought hundreds of these dried seaweed things," someone would say you're exaggerating. if you day "I've literally bapughy hundreds of these seaweed things," someone could open up you cupboard and watch hundreds spill out.

edit: I don't mean it can't be misused, but that it's not always incorrect.

I'm talking about when it's painfully obvious that the person is trying to exaggerate. For example, what brought this thread about is seeing a status on the book of face that said something like, "I'm literally dying of boredom".
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
Quote by Gibson06
My apologies for misspelling in the title. Firefox doesn't help me out up there so I don't catch typos, which that one was. I spelled it correctly everywhere else.

But, hey! When there's nothing to add to the argument, pick apart TS's spelling!

It has nothing to do with the argument and completely to do with the irony of you complaining about the grammar yet spelling it incorrectly.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by Gibson06
I'm talking about when it's painfully obvious that the person is trying to exaggerate. For example, what brought this thread about is seeing a status on the book of face that said something like, "I'm literally dying of boredom".

isn't it obvious it's not meant to be taken literally? there's no helping if you're annoyed by people using words for emphasis, however improperly, I just don't see the big deal.

☻/

/▌

/ \

PSN ID: Lord-MacTooth
Quote by muse-ik

Technically it is down to diction of speech. Alot of people write how they speak, such is the age of oratory. You can't dislike the connection between speech and writing, regardless of unacademic it maybe.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
"Bush knocked down the towers, literally
Yeah he strapped himself with C4 and piloted two planes
Like Bill Pullman in ID4, bootlegged as Loose Change
Who's sane when you claim he didn't plan it with Hussein?
They're one crew signed to different labels, like Wu-Tang"
Quote by muse-ik

Your last comma should be a semi-colon.
But I agree with both this statement and TS.
It only annoys me if the person doesn't understand what 'literally' actually means.

Yes, it annoys me, but it's an irrational annoyance.

Quote by ikarian-pride
Your last comma should be a semi-colon.
But I agree with both this statement and TS.

Your first full stop should be a comma.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Apr 16, 2011,
Page 1 of 2