Epiphone Les Paul Standard with EMG is good?
Well guys, I'm willing to swap the pickups for my Epiphone Les Paul Standard guitar, and wanted to buy something if possible that the des a sound and "heavy"characteristic of Zakk Wylde, for example. But I will not miss the crisp sound of distortion, like Avenged Sevenfold, or the sound quality of a Guns N 'Roses. So to be able to play all these alternate styles and varied, I thought about buying EMG Zakk Wylde Signature, to get a consistent sound to what it says, since the EMG has defined and sound with heavy distortion. But I wonder if I'll end up losing in the Clean, since many people have told me of the Clean qeu EMG is more muffled. I know that much of the sound depends on the pedals, pedals and amp, but this is no problem, I even saber guitar in order to improve there. Can you help me in this? It's worthwhile to buy EMG pickups? Or rather the other? If other, what else?
In my opinion, i would sell your LP standard and get a LP Prophecy EX with EMG 81/85 already in it. They are extremly nice guitars for the money and it is exactly what you are looking for. http://www.epiphone.com/prophecy/default.html

It is a lot more cost effective to sell your guitar and buy a Prophecy because in order do change your pickups passive to active, you will not only need to change the pickups, but replace all the wiring and electronics in the guitar. Change the potentiometers from 500K pots, to 25K pots, change the caps, the jack (i think) and wire in a 9v battery to the circuit. If you don't know how to solder, it can be expensive to get someone to install the stuff yourself and all this stuff adds to the cost of the pickup upgrade.

Clean tone-wise, active EMG's are not the best sounding pickups in the world, with the exception of the 60, which has decent cleans with appropriate EQ'ing. EMG's are a bit too hot for GN'R stuff, using ceramic magents instead of Alnico magnets, but the 85 uses Alnico 5, but it is even hotter than the 81 so EMG's wouldn't be ideal.

81/85 is ideal for Zakk Wylde stuff and they would work well doing Avenged Sevenfold though.

If you want, go for somthing more versitile if you want more of a GNR tone without sacrificing TEH BR00TLZ, have a look at Seymour Duncan. A JB and 59 combo might work great with your LP standard
Have you played any other guitar with EMGs? I would recommend trying something with the same pickups first so you can get a feel for the sound you may expect before you drop some in your Epi.

^^also Seymour Duncan jb and a 59 would be a great match.
Epiphone les Paul Standard
Crate GT1200H & Cab
Digitech RP70
DAndario Strings
Last edited by Selin at Apr 16, 2011,
I agree with the Prophecy comment, it's an extremely solid guitar and would do you very well for an 81/85 axe.
PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
So the problem is that in my country (Brazil) Epiphone guitars are very expensive. It costs on average R$ 2.300 and the normal R$ 3500 to Prophecy. It's kind of a guitar costing $ 2300 cost $ 3,500 and the other means? It is very expensive and I do not have all that money. A set of EMG pickups 81-85 here goes for less than R$ 800. I would give a luthier to get and install the pickups. In addition to hard sell here is a guitar guy, what with the stores. So to improve the guitar. The rest of ta good contact with two multi FX, Line 6 And Boss and a Marshall. But one must give up the guitar but also to take a harder sound and set, as I mentioned above.

Note:
Brazilian Money = R$.
R$ 1 Real and 50 Cents = $ 1 Dollar (American)
3Voved, you have a Prophecy as well?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 16, 2011,
Guys, I was watching Seymour Duncan pickups and the sound of them seem as good as the EMGs even with heavy distortion. It seems he is even more defined, but the EMG is heavier. With reference to the battery of EMG and change in the electric guitar circuit, the wiring for this change comes with the pickups right? And this battery must be changed to how often on average? Long-lived? Short-lived?
EMG's are very clear sounding pickups. They are favoured by a lot of metal artists because of their definition and their very high output pushes the preamp section on their amps hard. I wouldn't trust videos you see on youtube though. Chances are they are playing completly different guitars and different amps. What works for them may not nessesarily work for you.

EMG's work best with mahogany guitars, so your guitar is a very good candidate for EMG's. The battery lasts a very long time, somthing like 1000 hours, so no worries. Just don't forget to unplug your guitar when you finish playing as it will drain the battery.

You can buy kits from EMG that will give you everything you need to do the upgrade, should you go down the EMG route, so no problem.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 16, 2011,
an epi with EMG's is a pretty solid guitar (I have one). obviously, the guitars ability to cope with higher gain settings is greatly improved. The cleans are kind of a mixed bag of tricks really: the bridge pickup definitely does not benefit from the EMG upgrade, both together is really a was and the neck, I think, sounds better with the EMG's. its important to remember that EMG's are extremely clear and very precise. However, the 85, especially with the tone backed off a touch, can give very useable clean sounds pretty easily
T00DEEPBLUE
Thanks again for the help man. You helped me a lot to choose from. Well, I think I'll buy it and put EMGs in my guitar! How do I place the battery change them? If one day I need?
Hence I have to buy the whole kit again or just the battery?
Quote by HantraXz
T00DEEPBLUE
Thanks again for the help man. You helped me a lot to choose from. Well, I think I'll buy it and put EMGs in my guitar! How do I place the battery change them? If one day I need?
Hence I have to buy the whole kit again or just the battery?

the battery just sits on a harness in your control cavity. no reason at all to replace anything but the battery once it dies (just a normal 9V)
The ZW set is ideal for LP as it has 4 pots and of course all the necessary connectors.

I do recommend buying the set anew because nowadays all the connectors are the quick pin version instead of hardwired. That is, no soldering necessary.
Quote by Rautio
The ZW set is ideal for LP as it has 4 pots and of course all the necessary connectors.

I do recommend buying the set anew because nowadays all the connectors are the quick pin version instead of hardwired. That is, no soldering necessary.

That's actually a good point. The pots, jacks etc that EMG supply are solderless. They have 3-pin connectors, you might not even have to solder anything together apart from the selector switch and the cap.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
People, but for the battery, when the guitars come with active pickups, usually has a compartment for this exchange, would be necessary to cut the Epiphone guitar opening to this compartment? I was watching, what do you think of the Gibson pickups? Or the EMG HZ. Is not it better to leave open a "hole" on the guitar and use passive pickups, than to open one to use active pickups? There is much loss of EMG HZ EMG in relation to assets, such as 81-85? I saw some videos they seem to have a sound as cool as, but wanted the opinion of those who know more.
You don't need to cut a new cavity in your guitar just to accomodate the battery. You can just put the battery inside the control cavity. Don't bother with the compartment. There's plenty of room for a battery in the control cavity of an LP. Just make sure the battery doesn't short out on anything by wrapping it in PVC tape.

Which Gibson pickups in particular? Gibson pickups are very expensive. EMG HZ's suck in my opinion. They sound very harsh and have absalutely no midrange. They fail miserably at emulating EMG actives, but again, depends on which EMG HZ pickups you're talking about.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 18, 2011,
As soon as you drop EMG's in it, it doesn't matter which guitar it is. It's going to be the same tone.
If the guy wants EMG'S, he can have them. If his tone is good, what's the problem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI3KAkO9d8g

Listen to the first minute of this vid. Both guitars use EMG 81 and have the same amp settings. Even though the sound quality of the vid isn't great, they both sound very different. I disagree that all guitars with EMG's sound the same.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 18, 2011,
So better buy EMGs active even know? What do I buy? Buy the set of EMG Zakk Wylde EMGs buy 81-85 or 81-60? What better combination? The pickups gibson to which I referred were BurstBuckers or IM90RGH 490R but they really are much more expensive than the EMGs and do not know if either has active pickups sound perfect as you know! Then I saw a place that the guys involve the battery with foam and it is tied into the normal. Function normally?

On the sound of guitars with EMG I do not agree, the guitars that have EMG's sound seems to lose that much gain. This video T00DEEPBLUE showed that even the very idea of truth. In addition to the influence of wood in the guitar sound is crisp and even the shape of them say they influence, but that part I do not know if it's true.
Your translation to English doesn't make much sense.

Zakk Wylde uses EMG 81/85 in his Les Pauls. But some artists (such as James Hetfield) prefer a 60 in the neck rather than an 85 because they give better cleans, but this is down to preference. Gibson Burstbuckers are passive pickups that don't need a battery, but they aren't that hot, so they might not be as good as EMG's for high gain stuff, but they would do GNR well.

The foam for the battery is there to stop the battery from shorting out on any of the electronics in the control cavity. Using foam would be fine.

Every aspect of your guitar, amp, cable, pedels, playing style and so on, will all contribute to your tone. Your guitar tone is the sum of all of your rig's component parts, so yes. everything about your guitar will make a difference to varying degrees
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Yes, sorry for the poor translation. I was too lazy to go threw in writing to google translator, therefore, seen as the right? But then, about 81-85 or 60-85 EMG, I think I'll stick with the heavier sound of 81 - 85. But I could take with them a similar sound to that of James Hetfield for example? Or Kirk Hammett?? I think that EMG 81-85 with a Vox wah wah for example, can make a beautiful sound. What do you think?
Yeah. 81/85 will be great. It depends on the Vox amp in question. I don't know too much about Vox gear, apart from a couple amps and the odd pedel here or there. But i'm sure you can get a tone somewhat reminiscent of Metallica with a high gain amp with EMG's and a wah
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by JustRooster
As soon as you drop EMG's in it, it doesn't matter which guitar it is. It's going to be the same tone.

That is a pretty major misconception mate.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
So, that's exactly what I want. I thought I'd take the 60-81 EMG, but I heard they are "acute". I do not know if it would be good to sound like Guns N 'Roses, Zakk Wylde who do not use both the treble. Do you think that all the Zakk Wylde EMG from 81 to 85 is the best? Better sound and etc?
You might not get somthing that is too much like Slash with EMG's because they are a bit too hot and a bit bright, but you should get a decent hard rock tone if you add more bass, mids and turn down the gain a fair bit, or even just turn the tone knob on the guitar down a bit.
Slash uses the neck pickup a lot for his leads and an 85 might do the job better than a 60 because it has an Alnico magnet, which is what Slash uses.

But for Zakk Wylde stuff, EMG's are absalutely ideal, especially in a Les Paul. EMG's really have that cutting, screeching harmonically rich lead tone and crunchy, punchy rythm with a focused midrange that I really like personally.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 19, 2011,