Page 1 of 2
I would go with the Razorback. But in my honest opinion, I feel that the ML would be more well constructed and set up better. Ifyou're looking for br00tality and some good shredding then the Razorback. If you're looking for versatility, then the ML.
i would go withe the ML, but it doesnt truly matter. theyre both basically the exact same guitar, just one has less pokey points than the other and the body woods are different. i would take the Mahogany body over the basswood, but it again thats just my opinion
Stuff that I bought:

Washburn WM24V
Raven RG100 Amplifier
Zoom G1X Multi-Effects Pedal

Quote by jsync
how do you define a guitar for a female?
how about one that whines and has trouble with feedback?
Neither. Yea, I said it. They both suck horribly. BUT I would go with the '79 ML.
Quote by Skullivan
I would go with the Razorback. But in my honest opinion, I feel that the ML would be more well constructed and set up better. Ifyou're looking for br00tality and some good shredding then the Razorback. If you're looking for versatility, then the ML.

The thing is Dime never played Razorbacks however he did play that ML. But I do want a guitar that's really heavy (Look at my signature to get an idea of what I usually play). But that finish/paint on the ML is really sexy. But wouldn't the Razorback grab more people's attention, because of that exotic look it has? It's hard to pick.
If it really must be an outrageously shaped dean (really?!) go with the 79 series. It's at least slightly better quality (mahogany>basswood) and you'll be able to pull it off better in more situations. Please do think carefully about it though.
Quote by demon.guitarist
If it really must be an outrageously shaped dean (really?!) go with the 79 series. It's at least slightly better quality (mahogany>basswood) and you'll be able to pull it off better in more situations. Please do think carefully about it though.

Not just shape. Like the Razorback has a cooler shape (Because of the sharp points). But the ML has a cooler paint/finish. But like I said, not just the appearance, I want a guitar that's heavy.
out of those two i would go for the ml.
but you should really consider what you're buying here
remember.
tone>looks of guitar.
so pretty much grab something else if you don't want to
waste your money.
I'd go with that tobacco burst ML no question, the better looking of all three in my opinion. It's Mahogany which is a bonus too.
Quote by Amrator
The thing is Dime never played Razorbacks however he did play that ML. But I do want a guitar that's really heavy (Look at my signature to get an idea of what I usually play). But that finish/paint on the ML is really sexy. But wouldn't the Razorback grab more people's attention, because of that exotic look it has? It's hard to pick.

Check out ESP and their LTD series. WAAAAY better guitars, and they still do wacky shapes if thats what floats your boat. In my experience (dont flame me for this), most guitarists look down upon razorbacks and dean guitars, a quick search will tell you all you need to know
Quote by Rawshik
Neither. Yea, I said it. They both suck horribly. BUT I would go with the '79 ML.

Dude, I can't get something that's more than $600 dollars. I'm only 14 years old! I don't have a job, I'm still in school.
Quote by Goat Head Stew
If you want heavy in weight, a Mahogany wood Dean will get you that. The ML is Mahogany

I'm talking about distortion heavy dude.
Quote by Amrator
Dude, I can't get something that's more than $600 dollars. I'm only 14 years old! I don't have a job, I'm still in school.

i got my jackson dx10d with seymour duncans for under 600$ and i can assure you it will shit on any of those guitars any day of the week easily.
be smart about your money check out all brands just wait around im sure other will make suggestions.
Quote by aeromakesmusic
i got my jackson dx10d with seymour duncans for under 600$ and i can assure you it will shit on any of those guitars any day of the week easily.
be smart about your money check out all brands just wait around im sure other will make suggestions.

Nah dude, I want to get a Dean.
Quote by Amrator

Id advise you to steer away from dean and get something that wont embarass you in a few years time.

ESP LTDs like I said
The PRS SE would be a great choice - no Floyd but do you have to have that?

EDIT: Jacksons are great for the type of music you like too

I also forgot Schecter, who do some good budget guitars designed for metal
Oh and Ibanez
And this ****ing awesome spear http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/guitars/25-badass-electric-guitars-under-400-251388/21#content
Last edited by demon.guitarist at Apr 16, 2011,
Quote by Amrator
I'm talking about distortion heavy dude.

From the descriptions it looks like the Razorback would get you heavier sounds. The ML description says the pickups can get you the blues, which tells me its more versatile but not as specialized for metal as the Razorback. So if you want straight Metal I think the Razorback is geared more towards that.
So the ML isn't good for metal? Then how did Dime get those heavy riffs out of it?
Quote by Amrator
So the ML isn't good for metal? Then how did Dime get those heavy riffs out of it?

That's not what I said. You stated you wanted something Distortion heavy. From the descriptions it looks like the Razorback is specialized for Metal, while the ML shoots for versatility. I'm sure the ML will get you Metal just fine.
Quote by Goat Head Stew
That's not what I said. You stated you wanted something Distortion heavy. From the descriptions it looks like the Razorback is specialized for Metal, while the ML shoots for versatility. I'm sure the ML will get you Metal just fine.

If I already have a B.C. Rich Warlock then aren't I good for metal? Because I have two Fenders but they're broken. So shouldn't I go for the ML?
Sincerely, I think you should cut that "I MUST GET A DEAN" crap. Don't try be more "metal" or "br00talz". Just get a guitar that SOUNDS good to you, if you try those guitars compare them to other guitars at a GUITAR STORE and you find that you actually preffer the Deans, then it's ok, but from what I can tell, your just buying Dean because of the name.
Last edited by zerkein at Apr 16, 2011,
Quote by Amrator
If I already have a B.C. Rich Warlock then aren't I good for metal? Because I have two Fenders but they're broken. So shouldn't I go for the ML?

The ML looks to be more versatile than the Razorback in switching from different styles of music. That's what I get from the descriptions.
Quote by zerkein
Sincerely, I think you should cut that "I MUST GET A DEAN" crap. Don't try be more "metal" or "br00talz". Just get a guitar that SOUNDS good to you, if you try those guitars compare them to other guitars at a GUITAR STORE and you find that you actually preffer the Deans, then it's ok, but from what I can tell, your just buying Dean because of the name.

I agree with this, but he is dead set on getting a Dean so I'm trying to help him out in that respect.
Quote by Goat Head Stew
The ML looks to be more versatile than the Razorback in switching from different styles of music. That's what I get from the descriptions.

Because isn't a Warlock just as heavy as the Razorback?

And Demon, I'm not ignoring you bro.
Quote by Amrator
Because isn't a Warlock just as heavy as the Razorback?

And Demon, I'm not ignoring you bro.

It most likely is because they both probably come stock with ceramic magnet humbuckers which is great for hard edge Metal. It depends on what you want. You want more versatility in sound go for the ML. If you want all out brutal metal go for the Razorback. They both can do Metal though.
Quote by zerkein

All of This.

You're probably not going to like the floyd rose after a while either (if it's your first floyd guitar). Seriously there are plenty of other options available for $600, but if you feel that you have to get one of those 2 guitars and won't save up to get something better, get the ML.
Twitter

LTD EC-1000 (Vintage Black)
Schecter Damien-FR
Crate Flexwave 120W

INDECISIVE AMP FUND: $500/$
*Sigh* Alright, give me suggestions for other guitars guys (No more than $600).
Quote by Amrator
*Sigh* Alright, give me suggestions for other guitars guys (No more than $600).

What kind of features do you want?
Quote by Goat Head Stew
What kind of features do you want?

What do you mean?
Quote by Amrator
What do you mean?

Active vs Passive pickups? Do you still want a floyd? Preferred body shape? A one trick pony metal guitar or a versatile guitar?
Twitter

Schecter Damien-FR
Crate Flexwave 120W

Quote by Amrator
What do you mean?

Do want something with a Floyd Rose vs. a fixed bridge? Do you want a single cut vs. double cut or another body design? What kind of wood do you want? What kind of scale length? Do you want a fat neck vs. thin neck. Do you want it for versatility or all out metal?
Quote by pto654
Active vs Passive pickups? Do you still want a floyd? Preferred body shape? A one trick pony metal guitar or a versatile guitar?
What do you mean? Yes, I do want a Floyd Rose. Any cool looking guitar. It doesn't matter.
Quote by Amrator
What do you mean? Yes, I do want a Floyd Rose. Any cool looking guitar. It doesn't matter.

Active pickups require a 9 volt battery and are used by some of the bands in your sig. Passive pickups do not require a battery and it is said that they have a warmer tone to them. Cool is also a subjective term, is a les paul like shape or a start style shape ok or do you want something extreme?
Twitter

Schecter Damien-FR
Crate Flexwave 120W

Quote by pto654
Active pickups require a 9 volt battery and are used by some of the bands in your sig. Passive pickups do not require a battery and it is said that they have a warmer tone to them. Cool is also a subjective term, is a les paul like shape or a start style shape ok or do you want something extreme?
It doesn't matter. I want something extreme and exotic looking sorta like a Razorback and B.C. Rich (But I already have a Warlock).
Quote by Amrator

Do you want something that will sound good stock, or do you plan on modding with new pickups?

If you want something that would sound good right out of the box without mods at that price range, I would suggest ESP's LTD line or Ibanez
Holy crap this thread hurt to read through...

I saw a budget, I don't see a location and if you're willing to go used or not, and I'm not seeing what amp you're playing through. That info helps more than just "cool looking" and stuff.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Dean 79
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Page 1 of 2