Have $500 (approx.) guitar money permission from the wife. Might be able to scrape up a little more for a good used guitar deal. Any opinions on the Jackson Pro DK2, RR5 or a used Ibanez prestige?

I already have a schecter c-1 classic and a Jackson SLSMG (with the EMGs OMGSH it screams). Also don't want something that sounds just like another version of a strat or a Les Paul.
It's doubtful you'll find a Prestige for $500.

But you can find Ibanez guitars from the 90's that were made in Japan for $500 easy. They are basically the same as Prestiges, but with better bridges and no Presitge logo. The general consensus is that the older ones feel better than the Prestiges too.

If you want something that doesn't sound like a strat or LP, go for an RG for the basswood. RG550, RG570, RG560, RG770, RG760 etc.
Check out Jemsite.
I havn't played a prestige before so i can't speak from experience, but i've played dozens of DK2's and an RR5T. The RR5 is fantastic because it is neck through so you have more sustain reletive to the DK2 and Prestige (at least in my opinion) and it is extremly lightweight. Playability is top marks, but the V-shape might take some getting used to, but i found it very comfortable. DK2's are nice guitars but they have LFR's which aren't as good tuning stablility-wise to an OFR or an Ibanez Edge trem which you would have on a Prestige, but it is a great sounding guitar and the cheapest too so if you have some spare cash, spend it on an OFR and it should just drop right in.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
^ +1- apart from the sustain thing, I'm not convinced neck-thrus do anything for that. Oh and I also don't really find the rhoads shape comfortable to play (but that's personal preference).

I'd take either the ibanez prestige (assuming you mean an MIJ one) or the rr5. An older rg5xx or above, as Levi79 suggested, is also a good idea.

But the dk2 with a trem swap would be fine too, as long as you don't mind the slightly clunky heel joint.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd take the RR5 because I'm a fanboy when comes to RRV's.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
If I get the RR5, I'm thinking the guitar tone is going to be different from a strat, Les Paul, Schecter C-1 classic, or Jackson SLSMG. Reason being:

RR5 - Maple Neck through Alder Body with Humbuckers

As opposed to:

Les Paul - Mohogany Neck set in Mohogany Body (Heavy Beast with huge dark tone)
Strat Plus - Maple Neck bolted to Alder body with single coils (bright and crisp)
SLSMG - Mohogany Neck Through Mohogany Body with EMG actives (nice metal sound)
C-1 Classic - Maple Neck through Mohogany Body with Humbuckers (very resonate with sustain)

How does the RR5 differ from those guitars above (anyone know)?
Its worth trying out the guitar and let your own ears decide. out of the guitars you already have, it would be a bit like like the Schector C-1, but the alder sides will give a fair bit brighter tone and less midrange compared to mahogany sides (but correct me if I am wrong). The brighter tone wil give really crunchy rhythm and the leads will sound very present.

But an equally big factor are the pickups themselves, Which i think are the Duncan JB (bridge) and Jazz (neck) for the RR5. Surely if you hunt around on Youtube for some sound samples you might get a rough idea on how the guitar is tonally, better still is to try the guitar out for real. The JB is quite balanced tonally and moderatly hot and the Jazz cleans up very well.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Alder has a lot of high end clarity so it'll give the cutting sound that metal guitarist like.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by nonjonron

How does the RR5 differ from those guitars above (anyone know)?

little brighter maybe?

It really just depends, though. You can't guarantee it will. I mean, if you're talking about the plugged-in tone it's unlikely to be any brighter than the strat.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?