Hey all.
What delay is more like the reality: digital or analog?
I mean like, if you stand in a cave and you would play a riff, would it sound like an analog delay or digital delay.
I understand that with digital delays every repeat is exactly the same, and with analog delay every repeat gets duller.
So what would be more like it's nature:digital or analog?
Post on!
reverb is what would be the most realistic.

a delay doesn't give you early reflections like a reverb does, it just repeats. plus the shape and size of the room/environment, as well as what materials it's made of and what's inside the space make a difference to how a reverb would sound, which makes the question and answer sort of ambiguous
Quote by james4
reverb is what would be the most realistic.

a delay doesn't give you early reflections like a reverb does, it just repeats. plus the shape and size of the room/environment, as well as what materials it's made of and what's inside the space make a difference to how a reverb would sound, which makes the question and answer sort of ambiguous

Well if the room is large enough, then the sound will bounce back from the object as long as it isn't any soft material.
If you want to calculate the distance between you and the reflect point, here is the formula.
First you want to know the speed the sound has in air, it's mostly 340 m/s.
Then in this formula s=v*t s=distance, v=speed of the sound and the t is time in seconds.
So we can now fill in s=340*t.
Say like the delay time is 1 second, that makes s=340*1*2=340*2=680m.
This makes that the distance the sound travels to get back in your ear from starting point is 680m, the distance too the reflecting object is 340m.
Yes I'm a total science tool, and love to learn it.
I know the formula as well
what I was getting at is more how it's fairly unlikely to be in a room that's at least 680m x 680m (not 340, since then you'd be right against the back wall and would hear reflections off of it)

typically there'd be other objects in the space for sound to reflect off of, and sound would still reflect off of the floor you're standing on as well as the roof, giving you those earlier reflections

if you were suspended in the middle of a 680x680x680m space, the material the walls are made of would still impact the sound of the repeats. if it was a concrete or hard surface then a digital delay would probably reproduce the sound a bit more accurately, where softer material that absorbs high end would be better represented with an analog delay

of course i know this is all hypothetical, all I'm saying is that it would be veeery unlikely to find yourself in an environment where you experience delay without reverb, and even then there are a lot of variables that would effect what kind of delay it would sound like
Quote by james4
I know the formula as well
what I was getting at is more how it's fairly unlikely to be in a room that's at least 680m x 680m (not 340, since then you'd be right against the back wall and would hear reflections off of it)

typically there'd be other objects in the space for sound to reflect off of, and sound would still reflect off of the floor you're standing on as well as the roof, giving you those earlier reflections

if you were suspended in the middle of a 680x680x680m space, the material the walls are made of would still impact the sound of the repeats. if it was a concrete or hard surface then a digital delay would probably reproduce the sound a bit more accurately, where softer material that absorbs high end would be better represented with an analog delay

of course i know this is all hypothetical, all I'm saying is that it would be veeery unlikely to find yourself in an environment where you experience delay without reverb, and even then there are a lot of variables that would effect what kind of delay it would sound like

I know that but that would've been like in a cave not a room.
You also have small room delays that indicate 50 ms.
Would have been s=340*0,05=17 meters, which is realistic, because of I played like that once.
There were these empty class rooms in my school, I played there and was all like hmmm let me check the echoes in this room.
Btw your 680³ meter room isn't right, because the sound you get is mainly going in the direction of the speaker, meaning that the amount of sound going to the ceiling would have been greatly reduced.
So the celing and width doesn't matter that much.
Only the echo goes length-wise.
*Science tool conversation alert*
when it comes to the direction sound gets put out, a lot of it really depends on frequency as well as the construction of the speaker cabinet (even in the case of the human voice or a non-speaker source) ..even though there's less sound being sent towards the side walls and roof, you'd get quite a bit of your low end reflecting back from them
for the small room 50ms delay, I'd still call that more of a reverb. the latest reflection you'll hear will be with a 50ms delay, but there'll also be reflections heard before that final delay

but we're quite off topic now anyway
if it comes down to what kind of delay is more realistic it depends on the environment you want to recreate really
If your asking which sounds more "real" then it really depends on how you do the delay in the circuit. I have a digital delay pedal using the pt2399 and it sounds as good as any analog pedal I have played. It is because of the fact that it mixes the original signal with the digital repeats instead of turning the entire signal into a digital signal and then back to analog.

Now like was said, your really looking for reverb. The nice thing with a good delay pedal is it can somewhat act like a reverb. If I set the repeats low and delay timing low on my pedal I can get a semi reverb sound.
Quote by XgamerGt04
If your asking which sounds more "real" then it really depends on how you do the delay in the circuit. I have a digital delay pedal using the pt2399 and it sounds as good as any analog pedal I have played. It is because of the fact that it mixes the original signal with the digital repeats instead of turning the entire signal into a digital signal and then back to analog.

Now like was said, your really looking for reverb. The nice thing with a good delay pedal is it can somewhat act like a reverb. If I set the repeats low and delay timing low on my pedal I can get a semi reverb sound.

I already have a reverb, I'm looking for a delay pedal.