I agreed to do some work in exchange for a guitar from my friend. It was an old Charnel-Jackson strat, modded to have single volume single humbucker (Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon). Originally I was going to buy the body off him for $35, but instead we changed the deal, so that I would remove the pickup and install it in his B.C. Rich Warlock, and then I can keep the guitar.
The first problem that arose was that he had previously kept the guitar in an unfinished garage, during the winter (we're from NE Ohio, so we get lake effect snow and rain). I install the pickup, and it won't work (problem #2). I wasn't 100% confidant on the installation, mainly because I had to splice on extra wire to the hot lead. I told him not to worry, and that I'll take it home and have a friend of mine help me, because he was more experienced. I take it home, completely redo the wiring and the splices, and still the pickup doesn't work. Now, he wants me to pay him the money anyway, and that he'll take it to a professional.
Normally, I would be okay with this, if it weren't for the third problem that arose. I install an Epiphone humbucker that I had lying around in the Jackson, and it doesn't work either. After further testing, it turns out that the pot in the Jackson was in fact dead. This makes me think that it's likely that the pickup is also dead.

Is there any way to test whether or not the pickup works? And would I be justified in saying that I should only pay if a professional is able to get the pickup to function correctly? Thanks!
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
It is very very easy to break a pickup when taking them out and putting them into guitars, especially if the pickup has 4 conductor wire and/or no cover. If you tug a wire just a little bit it can easily snap the wire inside the pickup which is only the size of a hair.

You need to take the pickup out of the guitar and get a multimeter. If your multimeter is automatic then simply touch red to hot, black to cold and see what resistance you get. If it's an adjustable multimeter then set it to read 20K and lower. Most pickups will read between 7k and 16k. If it reads much lower then there is a short in the pickup which probably means the tape they insulate the inside of the pickup with is loose. If it reads much higher then it means there is a bad solder joint inside the pickup and if it reads infinite resistance then your wire inside the pickup has broken. Lots of these pickups can be easily fixed by a pickup tech but I doubt it's worth the cost
Not taking any online orders.