Hi everyone,
I was thinking about refinishing my ancient strat copy with a similar design to the EVH 'Frankenstrat' however I know nothing about electronics. Would it be possible for me to remove the scratchplate whilst leaving all the electronics in tact and just tape over them to prevent them being painted/damaged? There is no chance of me unsoldering or removing any of the electronics (my parents won't let me) so please do not tell me to do so. Basically, I'm looking for a way to repaint my guitar without removing anything more than the scratchplate.

Thanks in advance,
-Arwinder
Dang, is there no way I could tape those up too and paint over it? I'm not looking for a professional finish or anything, just a convincing EVH job on my £50 strat.
Apologies if I'm sounding like a noob, I'm just very new to guitar customisation and electronics.
You won't be able to take out the scratch plate without unsoldering the jack. Besides, taking the pots out is just a case of unscrewing a washer and unscrewing the pickups, it can all remain a circuit, just not in place.
Quote by Arwinder
Dang, is there no way I could tape those up too and paint over it? I'm not looking for a professional finish or anything, just a convincing EVH job on my £50 strat.
Apologies if I'm sounding like a noob, I'm just very new to guitar customisation and electronics.

Tape over what? if your taking the pickguard off, why do you need to tape them off?
I guess you could put all the pups, switch, and pots into a ziploc bag and tape it very securely so it doesnt move and tape up the jack. Also for the ground wire you could leave the trem claw screwed in and tape it up.

But really its much easier to just desolder the 3 wires.

Could you ask your dad to do it for you? Tell him it would be a good father/son learning experience.
Quote by andyscoot
You won't be able to take out the scratch plate without unsoldering the jack. Besides, taking the pots out is just a case of unscrewing a washer and unscrewing the pickups, it can all remain a circuit, just not in place.

It is possible to remove the whole circuit without unsoldering any wires? I don't mind unscrewing things to remove the whole electronic circuit as long as it can be placed right back in there once I'm done.

Quote by TheKeywork

Could you ask your dad to do it for you? Tell him it would be a good father/son learning experience.

I have tried asking him but he refuses. Personally, I wouldn't mind taking the electronics out and attempting to reassemble them myself, but he won't allow it. I guess he just doesn't want to see me break a decent guitar..
Quote by Arwinder
It is possible to remove the whole circuit without unsoldering any wires? I don't mind unscrewing things to remove the whole electronic circuit as long as it can be placed right back in there once I'm done.

Depends on your routing, but if you take off the jackplate and unscrew it from the jack, it might come out with the rest through your cavity, provided it's big enough.

How will you ruin it by soldering a few wires?
Quote by Arwinder
I guess he just doesn't want to see me break a decent guitar..

How decent we talkin?
Quote by andyscoot
How will you ruin it by soldering a few wires?

it's the fact that I know abselutely nothing about these things that gets me scared - perhaps I will be better letting a professional do it for me.

Quote by TheKeywork
How decent we talkin?

Well, I mean it's definatelly playable and gives a great clean sound despite being a beginner guitar. Horrible colour though.