Ok, I'm new at this but I was told that it is not that hard. I'm going to refinish my wine red 2000 les paul studio into a gold top. What all do I need and how should I get started on this. I imagine the first part is to take everything off, tape off the brushings for the bridge and neck and strip the current finish off.

What is the best way to strip off the nitro finish? I've read that acetone is a quick and relatively easy for this. Has anyone done this?
I couldn't just leave the bushings in and just tape over them? (for the bridge and tailpiece, idk why I wrote bridge and neck)

I don't care much about how it affects the value, it's more for myself.

I've seen a few examples of this.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/2128207-post60.html

Is the one that inspired me to try this project. I just love the look of a gold top.
Last edited by al112987 at Apr 16, 2011,
The original Goldtop finish, with the Bronze powder used by Gibson and no longer available at Reranch, would be tough to replicate. I believe they now use Mica, which doesn't oxidize as fast as Bronze, comes close enough. However, it doesn't have the Greenish tinge that Bronze provides.

If you can find a source, post it here!
Quote by Ippon
The original Goldtop finish, with the Bronze powder used by Gibson and no longer available at Reranch, would be tough to replicate. I believe they now use Mica, which doesn't oxidize as fast as Bronze, comes close enough. However, it doesn't have the Greenish tinge that Bronze provides.

If you can find a source, post it here!
I know its a real shame. I love the original gold tops and how they looked over the years when they started to turn into that slightly greenish, bright gold instead of the bronze-ish brown color that you see on gold tops today. I was going to email reranch to see if they were getting any more in the future.