My bassist is looking to upgrade to a pretty decent amp. Doesnt have to be top of the line, but something good.

We play metal, fast/heavy more death metal kind of stuff. I use a VHT Pitbull. Need some help choosing an amp. We want a really good live sound and I dont really know whats good for bass gear.

He was looking at an SVT-7 Pro, they go for $700ish used I think. But he also found a used Peavey Tour 450 with a 4x10 for a good price

He needs an amp and a cab eventually and would probably rather get a stack now opposed to buying a $1,000 amp and having to save more for a cab.

Anyway just looking for some help here with suggestions for a good metal bass amp.

$600-$1,000 range on the used market, list some recomendations.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
The Peavey sounds like a good bet to me.

But I'm biased against Ampegs, I simply don't like them.

What sort of sound is he going for? i can't really give good recommendations without an idea of the sound he'll want.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
The Peavey sounds like a good bet to me.

But I'm biased against Ampegs, I simply don't like them.

What sort of sound is he going for? i can't really give good recommendations without an idea of the sound he'll want.

Thanks for the reply. Im not sure about anything in particular. Black Daliah Murder, Job for a Cowboy, Suffocation. Just death metal/thrashy/metalcore kinda stuff. Something thick that you can feel and makes everything Heavy as hell like a wall of thunder, but still be able to hear the mids and highs. Necrophagist bassist has a great tone as well. Stuff along those lines.
You could probably find a Mesa Big Block 750 used for around $700.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by dark Mass
You could probably find a Mesa Big Block 750 used for around $700.

this is what he is looking at getting right now.

Gallien Krueger 700 RB II, Peavey Tour 4x10 - $800
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I guess the Peavey IS a cab. Anyway do you think this would be a decent setup or would you rather get the mesa'? He still needs a cab too.
I do own a Gallien Krueger MB-112 combo, not as fancy as the head mentioned in this thread but I swear by this amp.

Has nice growl for my P bass, and the EQ is set so it's sensitive but not overly sensitive.

add a GK head to a Peavey cab and you will have a beast.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I would look into some Trace Elliot amps, if you can find one, great amps. I have a RAH350SMX and it will melt your face off it sounds so good.

Ive seen those green amps, ill check it out. Any other good models by them?

There is the GK 700rb on ebay for $200 with 2 days left. Maybe he can get it under $300
Quote by maddnotez
Ive seen those green amps, ill check it out. Any other good models by them?

There is the GK 700rb on ebay for $200 with 2 days left. Maybe he can get it under $300

Well, there's the AH150SMX AH250SMX AH350SMX(cab style) or the RAH150SMX RAH250SMX, and RAH350SMX(rack style) all the same amp, but smaller or bigger.

I couldn't tell you first hand, but from my RAH350SMX, they are a very badass amp, so I would assume the other ones are pretty good.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Well, there's the AH150SMX AH250SMX AH350SMX(cab style) or the RAH150SMX RAH250SMX, and RAH350SMX(rack style) all the same amp, but smaller or bigger.

I couldn't tell you first hand, but from my RAH350SMX, they are a very badass amp, so I would assume the other ones are pretty good.

yeah, i just read a few reveiws. Wow the RAH350SMX looks nice, Where can you find a used one? or any of those other models?
Quote by maddnotez
yeah, i just read a few reveiws. Wow the RAH350SMX looks nice, Where can you find a used one? or any of those other models?

Well, I found mine sitting up at my church not being used, and only found out it's true potential after I messed with it for a few hours.

I really don't see to many of them, they were made all throughout the 90's, they are from England. You'd have to look around at pawn shops and obscure places I would imagine, cause most people don't know how great of a amp they really are, I've only met a few people on this site that's even heard of them let alone played one.
do most players in the metal genres use a straight fwd amp? or the rack setup like a sansamp pre and good power amp?
Quote by maddnotez
do most players in the metal genres use a straight fwd amp? or the rack setup like a sansamp pre and good power amp?

I really have no idea. The amp I'm talking about is a pre and power amp in one, it just can fit into a rack set up.

Most guitarists use straight up amp, I really don't know about bassists, but I really don't see to many rack bass amps either.
Some bassist use rack units or go through FOH with DI's while others like running straight into head(s) and cabinet(s).
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at Apr 16, 2011,
Used Traynor YBA200 and a nice 410 or 610 cab.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by maddnotez

Personally i am a sucker for a clean tone in metal especially alex webster's fairly clean tone which is a GK RB700 if im not mistaken. Also i would say JFAC (live) sounded fairly straight forward in terms of it just being overdriven.

Mind you on the JFAC part i was drinking a lot of jager and mind bits and bobs of their set.

Im gonna back the person who said the GK head and Peavy cab, would be perfect for the kind of metal your going for imho.Also cheap and rugged gear which is a must aswell in my mind.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
I'd try the peavey firebass. You can find one used for pretty cheap and it runs 2 ohms no problem. I'm a peavey guy myself. 700w and a pretty ballsy tone.
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.