Hey Guys,

I'm the proud owner of a VK212, and like metal, death metal, etc. (think ozzy to metallica to disturbed to CoB).
I am forced to play at bedroom levels, having the volume at 1 on my VK is TOO loud.
My only problem with my VK212 is that i cant seem to get a high enough gain sound to mimic CoB well, or to get close to Metallica.

Are there any mods i could easily do to my VK to get more gain out of it at low volumes?
Or am i better off selling it, and getting a smaller tube amp like the HT-5 or something similar?
I'm open to any suggestions of tube amps, preferably head+cab, and 50watts max.

My current set up is:
EC-1000 (SD blackouts), or goth G-400 (stock), or ibanez dtx120 (stock)
korg pitchblack+
compressor
mxr ZW OD
ISP decimator
VK212 (i have replaced preamp tube#1 with a ruby 12AX7ACZ HG+)

TL;DR: mod my VK, or sell it and get a smaller tube amp (HT-5?)?
can you get the sound you want at high volumes? i have a VK and can't say i've to much trouble getting a reasonable metallica sound at low volumes. that is going to be the bottom line at bedroom volumes you just aren't going to get that massive crunch no matter what amp you use. perhaps a distortion pedal would be a good plan as they will give you more gain and be a cheaper solution.
I'd say sell it and buy a smaller amp. The Valveking is great an all, but for your purposes a 212 combo is just way too much for your needs.

Your never going to get a CoB type gain out of the Valveking, it just doesn't have enough gain and is just not designed for it unless you do some serious mods to it.

I'd get something like the ht-5, Egnator Tweaker 15 or 40, or maybe a Mesa TransAlantic.
i forgot to mention that i also have a fullbore metal,although it is a bit too "piercing" of a tone for metallica. GREAT for CoB, though.

at any gigs that i'll play, the VK wont be able to be past 3 or so. which doesnt get great tones either.

so, really, what are some good higher gain heads and cab setups that i could get after selling my VK?
assuming i had a $500 USD budget.
and i live near no big cities, so i cant try anything out, only youtube research.
Quote by larson8er
i forgot to mention that i also have a fullbore metal,although it is a bit too "piercing" of a tone for metallica. GREAT for CoB, though.

at any gigs that i'll play, the VK wont be able to be past 3 or so. which doesnt get great tones either.

so, really, what are some good higher gain heads and cab setups that i could get after selling my VK?
assuming i had a $500 USD budget.
and i live near no big cities, so i cant try anything out, only youtube research.

heads and cabs don't exactly make for great bedroom playing either get yourself the Peavey 6505+. it's a 1-12" 60 watt amp with tons of gain on hand. plenty loudenough for gigs as well.
dont want a combo. i much prefer the versatility of a head and cab.
thanks for the input, though.
im really thinking save up more and get a nice 20-60 watt head and run it through decent 2x12 cab.
If you're playing at bedroom levels only, why not just get a POD of some kind and play through headphones?

IMO it's a better option than buying a small amp you'll probably replace if/when you start jamming or gigging.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
you, Sir, make a very good point.
is it possible to run a POD right in to a cab? or would i need a power amp?
Quote by larson8er
you, Sir, make a very good point.
is it possible to run a POD right in to a cab? or would i need a power amp?

You'd need a power amp to power a cab with it, but if you decided to go that route later there are plenty of cheap, shitty heads with loops that you can run the POD into to use their power amp.

Or you could pick up a secondhand Crate Powerblock for ~$200.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
the POD seems like a good idea.
what are some decent models that i should consider, EDIT: in the $200-ish range?
yes, ill go used. im an ebay addict
Last edited by larson8er at Apr 17, 2011,
did you seriously just ask for a pod in the $22 range or did I read that wrong?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
did you seriously just ask for a pod in the $22 range or did I read that wrong?

I think he actually meant 22,78$ more precisely
The problem with the 212 VK is that it's rated at 100W, whereas the 112 is only 50W... Still too loud for the bedroom though. If you MUST have a new amp, the HT-5 is probably a solid choice. I suppose it depends on the voicing you're looking for too, as the HT-5 is generally a British sound, and the ISF doesn't do much to change the actual voicing of the amp itself. IDK, anything more than 15W tube is too loud for bedroom IMO, and even that's probably pushing it.
sorry for the typo, guys! i meant to type $200-ish range.
edited the post to be correct.
Quote by Robbgnarly
buy an atenuator

attenuator's SUCK tone.
and my quest here is to get better tone.
Quote by larson8er
attenuator's SUCK tone.
and my quest here is to get better tone.

Good ones don't, but they're expensive.

My Phantom set me back more than $500.

thats A LOT more than i'm willing to put into my VK.
being a highschooler that might be making a band soon, i think ill go for the POD for the versatility, since i could just run it through the clean channel of my VK to get very close to the same sound as my headphones.

is the POD XT Live good for metal tones?
or would i be better off going with a newer model, like the HD300/400, or the Floor POD Plus?
Quote by larson8er
thats A LOT more than i'm willing to put into my VK.

And it should be.

That's why I suggested a POD - you'll get far better tone from it at bedroom levels than you will with a cheap attenuator on the VK.

Plus it has loads of amps on it you can try out so you'll have a better idea of the type of amp you'll be ready to purchase when you upgrade later.

I never played live with a POD, but I've seen shows where people have performed flawless renditions of songs with PODs or Boss ME modelers through the PA and I had no idea until I spoke with the guitarists after the show.

One guy played Under the Bridge with a thinline P90 Tele through a Boss ME-20 and I could swear he was Frusciante until I walked into the stage area and saw his gear. Incredible tone.

The Pod model I owned was an XT Live and I liked it quite a bit. Sold it to fund my JCM 800 2204.

Thanks, bubb_tubbs!
after 10 minutes of research, i think i'll go for the POD HD300 once i save up some cash
The Pod is a good idea.

If you want another idea look at the Vypyr 60. I picked mine up used for $315. 60 watts. Headphone jack. Sounds good loud or quiet. I have a few clips in my NADness thread. I used to have a VK112 as well and modded it. After mods, it still didn't sound as good as the Vypyr 60.
ill look in to the vypyr.
im pretty sure that i'd rather keep my vk and get the pod, than add another amp to be tweaking in to the mix, though