so as some of you may recall, i got a taylor gc8 a while ago. i had played a lot of them, always liked how they felt and sounded a lot - i considered them a truly wonderful fingerstyle guitar, one of the best i had played. but once i had one, i found i played it less and less. don't get me wrong - i could hear the sparkling highs, the hint of warmth, the quality every time i touched the strings. but it just didn't sound like me. i sold it 4 months after i bought it and ordered a custom guitar.

but in the meantime, i had laid away a blueridge br-361, then while making a payment, i found the best-sounding blueridge br-341 i'd ever played. i was always pretty impressed with the blueridge parlors, but had never seriously considered them. but this one really grabbed me, even though till recently i preferred rosewood to mahogany. i switched the layaway and ended up with the br-341.

it's been a while now, and i still can't get enough of my br-341. it's not considered as good as a taylor gc8 by a ways - it cost less than half what the gc8 cost - and it's made in china, but it sounds great, looks great, smells great, and always makes me want to play more and more. it sounds wonderful to my ears, even if it's not a "pro level" guitar. but - and i dare to use a cliche here - it speaks to me. it really does. i'm not a one guitar person - i still love my cargo and my other small guitars, but my blueridge is just plain magic to me.

sometimes a guitar that's higher quality, with a higher price tag and a brand name on the headstock isn't as good for a particular player as one that others might consider a lesser guitar.

play 'em all, not just the ones you know about or the ones with the well known brand names. you never know... you might just find your perfect guitar!
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Indeed! One of the best sounding acoustics I've ever heard was something I'd always considered sorta gimmick-y. The Composite Acoustic carbon fiber guitars really are incredible, I suggest trying one if you haven't.
Jack White loves taking crappy guitars and forcing them to play how he wants. I don't think Ive ever seen him on a Gibson.
i own a composite acoustics cargo - it's got a big rich sound yet is such a small guitar. if you get a chance, try a blackbird rider - another small carbon fiber guitar with a very full sound.

Quote by The Raven
Indeed! One of the best sounding acoustics I've ever heard was something I'd always considered sorta gimmick-y. The Composite Acoustic carbon fiber guitars really are incredible, I suggest trying one if you haven't.

yeah, but without effects or distortion, they don't sound too good. on the other hand, he's happy with them, and that's the bottom line, right?

Quote by Nitnatsnok
Jack White loves taking crappy guitars and forcing them to play how he wants. I don't think Ive ever seen him on a Gibson.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Great story dude! Before Christmas I was looking for a new electric strictly for jazz playing. I was heavily( and I mean HEAVILY) leaning on a PRS. Great build, beautiful finish,smooth neck, just a gorgeous high quality brand. I went to the only authorized PRS dealer in Memphis and I tried one out. It played great(an SE custom 24 btw) but I decided to look one last place before I got it, the local store where I bought my first guitar. I asked if they carried PRS(before I knew only one authorized dealer was in town) and the owner's son showed me something he said would play just like it. It didn't and I kept looking. In this store they order guitars of certain brands for you but they only carry their own customs in-shop. So he pulls down this honey colored tele and says try this I think you'll like it. It was and still is the smoothest guitar I ever played! My dad said it would be my Christmas present; the guy also dropped the price 50% he gave me the custom made case, guitar, and some extra stuff(strings and stuff but not the stuff I use. Still a nice gesture though). Btw the price was $299 for everything no tax. Not my most expensive by far and Ive paid more for a pedal than I did that guitar and it has been nothing but great to me. Plus my first time trying out and I made the All-West jazz band on it(the regional tournament of high school music if you will haha). Sorry if my story didn't relate but I just wanted to share it because price really doesn't matter!
I know exactally what you mean Patti. I purchased a Gibson hummingbird about three years ago and loved it. I probably played a hundred different ones before picking out my hummingbird. I then purchased a Gibson DSM-CE. A Canadian made Gibson that was $1500 dollars cheaper. I hardly ever play my hummingbird anymore. I love my Canadian Gibson.
I do sure love me them Gibsons boy
Personally, I find that really expensive guitars often sound TOO refined and TOO perfect, whereas some of the less expensive ones have a more gritty and down to earth sound. I'd rather take the down to earth sound almost every time.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
that's how it was for the gc8 - too refined. i like a little personality in my guitar tone - sometimes a little grit.

Quote by captivate
Personally, I find that really expensive guitars often sound TOO refined and TOO perfect, whereas some of the less expensive ones have a more gritty and down to earth sound. I'd rather take the down to earth sound almost every time.
Quote by Skeet UK
I always assumed you owned a guitar shop or something

I like some cheaper models but I do love Martins, I don't instantly assume higher priced guitars are better though, I don't like Taylors that much.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
*LOL*

no, i just spend a lot of time in many guitar shops playing every guitar i can get my hands on - although we're talking about opening a used guitar shop someday.

there are a few martins on the top of my favorite guitars list; several, actually, but only 1 taylor, which is a switch from 2 years ago.

Quote by Venice King
I always assumed you owned a guitar shop or something

I like some cheaper models but I do love Martins, I don't instantly assume higher priced guitars are better though, I don't like Taylors that much.
Quote by Skeet UK
I'd love to work in a privately owned guitar shop, and for what it's worth - it seems like you'd be excellent in one.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
my acoustic is a vineyard. its some crappy chinese guitar that cost like $160 brand new and has too much high mids, not a hint of sparkley high and little bottom end.

I can not see myself with another guitar ever, it matches my voice and playing style perfect and it feels like a tank in my hand. screw martins, gibsons, guilds, and what else ever.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Django Rheinhardt played an old beat-up Maccaferri and only changed strings when they broke. I don't think the guitar was anything special. Anyway, they're famous guitars now and everyone's putting rusty strings on them to get the old-skool Django sound. Good luck with that.

Tone is in the fingers. Not mine though - which is why I've bought Martins.
I have a strat clone (Torch brand, cant find anything on or about it anywhere) that was made in 1972, POS guitar, probably cost $30 >$50 in 1972 but it is smoother than my original strat & has some seriously nice sounds coming from the pups. It was given to me by the original owner as it didnt work (he re-wired the jack plug on it, but wired it arse about face)
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
i have a blue ridge br 163 and i feel the same way. anytime i play another guitar i feel like putting it down and picking mine up
I have one guitar I really didnt like the sound of when I bought it so I tuned it in open "G". 4 years later I found out it was my playing on that guitar I didnt like (in "E"), as now the guitar sounds great.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
I could't agree more!
I bought a guitar for 1/10th of what e.g. a Gibson acoustic costs, 'cause it just feels better to me. And it smells like plywood, which is obviously a bonus!
And I would never bring a guitar worth thousand of dollars to e.g. a campfire, or the park!
Last edited by ANdrzK at Apr 22, 2011,
Quote by Nitnatsnok

He plays Gretsches now, BTW. Those are pretty nice.

But I agree with the "'best' guitar isn't the best" idea. I went into a guitar store looking to buy a Cole Clark Fat Lady (handmade in Australia for $1800) and came out with a Parker P8 (made in China, still solid woods, but $1200). It's just a great guitar, and I like it a lot better than anything else I've played (including my teacher's $3500 custom-shop D-28).
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass