Page 1 of 2
This time it's for a replier to a kijiji add I put up. Only thing I have to do is routing, shape/carving, and assembly/finish. Funny enough he's studying to be an electrical engineer and could possibly help me with tube amps and pedal builds (its what he's doing now).

Neck: Mighty Mite Strat Replacement neck
Construction: Compund Radius
#of frets: 22
fretwire:Medium Jumbo
neck wood: Maple
Fretboard:Roeswood
scale: 25.5
radius: Compund 9.5 - 12
headstock style: Strat
headstock shape:

Nut: preslotted
Inlay: dots
Finish: satin poly

Body:Telecaster
Wood: Spalted Maple/ Ash
Carve: none
Contours: Belly Cut, Forearm contour
Bridge: Through Body hard Tail
Tailpiece: n/a
Strap Buttons: Silver

Electronics:
Pickup Config:2 P-90 Soap bar Pickups
neck: soapbar p-90
Middle:none
bridge: soapbar p-90
peizo: n/a
pickup rings: n/a
pickgaurd: n/a
pickgaurd color/shape: n/a
Switch: les paul style
Controls: 1Vol, 1 Tone
Knobs: Silver Dome
Input jack: butt end of guitar tele style, football plate
Comments: Have fun with it!

Pics!
Rough layout idea's, could change in the future.

x2

The neck. I'll probably end up filing the fret ends down a bit since they do protrude a bit.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
thanks! I'm getting 20/hr on this, and am going to start tomorrow. I think it'll take around 7-8 hours, but we'll see. I said I won't count the time to make the templates since I'll probably end up using p90's in the future.
7-8 hours?? I guess things must happen fast once youve got all the materials and templates handy. Looking forward to seeing the end result.
Quote by cjmabry
This is the sexiness. Can't wait to see it finished. Stickied.

I freaking love the look of the spalted maple. What kind of finish are you planning on doing?

He wants just a clear coat of satin finish, to match the neck. No stain since its spalted, but I may end up staining black, sanding, then clearing so the grain pops. I doubt it though, since its only a 1/8th cap.

Quote by matt154
7-8 hours?? I guess things must happen fast once youve got all the materials and templates handy. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

I'm not charging him for the time I use to make the template, since p90's and a control cavity are a universal thing when it comes to routing, so it just gives me a reason to make some. I told him 7-8, but it could easily be more or less.

Quote by JazzMunkeyy
looks pretty awesome man, cant wait to see it when its done

Quote by nowa90
He wants just a clear coat of satin finish, to match the neck. No stain since its spalted, but I may end up staining black, sanding, then clearing so the grain pops. I doubt it though, since its only a 1/8th cap.

Eh, the grain looks pretty poppin' to me already, so it's up to you. It looks straight up sexy .
hour of work today, un paid.

Everything all drawn out

Neck template

pickups

bridge

Ninja edit:

Quote by cjmabry
Eh, the grain looks pretty poppin' to me already, so it's up to you. It looks straight up sexy .

I doubt I will, we both like how it is already. We may end up planing some of the back off, it's about 1.9" thick.
Last edited by nowa90 at Apr 17, 2011,
3 hours later!
comming along quite fast. how long do you estimate this build to take? do you have any crazy ideas for it?
I said about 7-8, but you never know since I have to hand carve all the contours.
nice

the description says there's going to be an arm contour though..are you going through the top to the ash for that or is there not going to be the contour? ..since the top's already on..

edit: didnt see your latest post when I was typing. so i guess there will be an arm contour thatll show the ash?
Quote by Jason Jillard
looks good, but im amazed you convinced someone to pay you per hour... as apposed to a flat rate.

Well I wasn't too sure on what to charge since if I do it for myself I go between making templates,thinking, and cleaning, and never really timed myself. So now in the future, I can say "Oh it takes almost 10 hours to do, so I charge ___$"
He's also fine with it, seeing as I got so far in 3 hours and "its already looking like its well on its way to being a beautiful guitar"

Quote by james4
nice

the description says there's going to be an arm contour though..are you going through the top to the ash for that or is there not going to be the contour? ..since the top's already on..

edit: didnt see your latest post when I was typing. so i guess there will be an arm contour thatll show the ash?

we're discussing it now via email, we'll see. He said he wanted something like this,http://mojotronics.com/images/guitar/DSCN0553.jpg So I assume he means that it "wraps" around to the output jack a bit.
sorry, to be a bit more specific with that, I meant the carve will be going through the top, so you can see the ash from the front view

like this sort of:
http://ggould.com/images/guitar_body_routed_contour.jpg

i was getting at the fact that the contour will likely be deeper than the top thickness more than the shape of the contour
Yea, thats basically it. He sent me a drawing, I'll screen cap it from the pdf and upload it so you can get an idea. I think I'll route it to the line to remove the cap part, and then I know the angle to cut to make the carve.

EDIT: Heres it is drawn out on the guitar itself, and he approved the shape/size.
Last edited by nowa90 at Apr 18, 2011,
It looks like shellac but it may just be the natural color of the wood. You could probably replicate it with a light brown/yellow shellac or tint.
It's not the color, since he also sent a picture of the back and it has that honey/amber tone to it.
Any ideas on if I need to epoxy it before finishing?
One more hour into her!
Made control cavity templates, and routed it then hand sanded the arm contour. Done by hand to get the transition perfectly.

Planed thinner

Control Cavity

Arm contour

PS: I'm surprised at how nice Ash is too work with, its softer and reminds me of pine, and doesnt chunk out and have weird shavings like mahogany.
Looking great. Shame the spalted maple isn't thick enough that you'd still have some when you carved the arm contour. Is the customer after that look?
Quote by matt154
Looking great. Shame the spalted maple isn't thick enough that you'd still have some when you carved the arm contour. Is the customer after that look?

Yes, he is and he knew about it actually happening. He chose it the ash to be that shape/size, so I jsut carved untill I got it.

Quote by the_perdestrian
this is rather sexy thus far.

Well, my internet is finally back so here are the pics!
Pickup routes are complete

Control Cavity

and the belly cut.
I just have to do the contral cavity, drilling the neck bolt screws into the neck, and final sanding then I get to finish + assemble!
You mean how the B string hole went wonky? I have no clue what went on there
Nope, :\
I was sure I had the bubble right though, who knows. Its only the one, at least. Maybe if I do use a drill press when I do the ferrules it'll all straighten out
Well I got some stain and a litre of wipe-on poly, and 100$ of other hand tools. Heres the stain test piece, customer still has to get back to be on if he wants the color. Untill then, all thats left is final sanding.

I also looked at drill press', the 12" one with a laser is 199, and the 10" is 169. I may as well get the bigger one. Theres a ridgid 15" one too, but its 400 or more, so out of my price range.
Last edited by nowa90 at May 1, 2011,
Almost looks like plain poly, how many layers are you going to do, are you going for the amber color like in the link you gave? I just had another look and it looks similar to a nitric acid treatment, though i wouldn't recommend that.
Quote by matt154
Almost looks like plain poly, how many layers are you going to do, are you going for the amber color like in the link you gave? I just had another look and it looks similar to a nitric acid treatment, though i wouldn't recommend that.

It is, and supposed to amber less then other ones, which is probably the opposite of what JI wanted on this guitar
The test piece has nothing, one coat, then two. I'll probably do 3 or 4 on this guitar, or untill it has decent protection.
Quote by C_Hart
looking much cleaner than your last ones, i like it.

Thank you, I spend more time on templates, and precision hand work this time around.
Quote by wolvenrick
i would want to instand-buy that sexy beast!

Well thank you, just a shame it's already claimed! PM me if you're serious, we could work something out.
Quote by Hatepooper666
Lookin good bro. I like the way you did the arm contour.

Thank you, I was glad with how it turned out

I did some sanding before we left today, tomorrow I'll finish the final sanding (some burn marks still on there from Stewmac) then color goes on!
Page 1 of 2