Alright so, since I was a little guy iv loved Nirvana and Kurt being a big guitar idol of mine, iv always been interested in grunge. With the newest Foo Fighters album being released, this has inspired me to start a grunge band. I know, people say grunge is dead. But the only bands starting around me are pop/punk rock and bad metal. I know a lot about metal becausee I used to be a metal head, but I know little to nothing about grunge. From the settings and pedals used to the structure of a song, I'm lost. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. And,some more grunge bands other than Nirvana to listen to. Feel free to email me at DonWeisseESP@gmail.com
Thank you all, Don Weisse.
Current Gear:
Fender Squire Strat
DOD Death Medal Distortion pedal
ESP LTD H-300 *YEA SON*
Fender Squire amp *BOO*
Pearl jam, Alice In Chains, Mudhoney, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins are some classic grunge bands.

Stone temple pilots, QOTSA, Foo Fighters, Audioslave are some good POST grunge bands.

As far as pedals go, do what ever the **** you like. (thats very grunge) Kurt used a Boss ds-1.
Just listen to In Utero over and over.
As for pedals, the DS-1, DS-2, and the Big Muff Pi are good places to start.
Alright it sounds like postgrunge might be up my alley. And what about like how to write grunge type music? Does it havea certain thing that's used a lot? Like metal has drop tuning and palm muting A LOT.
Current Gear:
Fender Squire Strat
DOD Death Medal Distortion pedal
ESP LTD H-300 *YEA SON*
Fender Squire amp *BOO*
Umm, its just heavy punk rock with pop influences and common song structures. Listen to QOTSA and Foo Fighters. Well, I hope I helped in some way.

EDIT: Audioslave is more alternate rock although the grunge influence can be heard.
Last edited by Naruto00121 at Apr 16, 2011,
Quote by Radiohead_u2
Pearl jam, Alice In Chains, Mudhoney, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins are some classic grunge bands.

Stone temple pilots, QOTSA, Foo Fighters, Audioslave are some good POST grunge bands.

As far as pedals go, do what ever the **** you like. (thats very grunge) Kurt used a Boss ds-1.

How are STP post grunge? Their two biggest albums came out in '92 and '94
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
Quote by Crimson Ghost
How are STP post grunge? Their two biggest albums came out in '92 and '94

You Are very right.
Quote by donisthatcool
Alright it sounds like postgrunge might be up my alley. And what about like how to write grunge type music? Does it havea certain thing that's used a lot? Like metal has drop tuning and palm muting A LOT.

Lots of power chord strumming. Play clean during verses and use a LOT of distortion during choruses. Stick to fairly straightforward progressions. Listen to some old guitar pop (seriously). Really gloomy lyrics (like Seether gloomy) help too but aren't a necessity.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Some other bands worth checking out that have a similar sound would be:

Screaming Trees - Try listening to, Nearly Lost You, Shadow of the Season
Sponge - Plowed
Toadies - Possum Kingdom, Tyler, Away, Push the Hand
Silverchair - Israel's Son, Tomorrow, Freak
Local H - Bound to the Floor, Fritz's Corner, Hands on the Bible
Seven Mary Three - Cumbersome, Water's Edge
Live - Lightning Crashes, I Alone, Lakini's Juice, All Over You
Candlebox - Far Behind, Blossom, You
Temple of the Dog - Hunger Strike, Say Hello to Heaven
Days of the New - 'Touch, Peel, Stand,' 'Shelf in the Room', 'Downtown'

Half step down, or halfstep drop D, is used alot with Nirvana, AIC, Live, Candlebox, and Days of the New. Teen Angst seems to be what most of the songs are about lyrically, just take hair metal, and right opposite lyrics, that is none of the songs are really about going out and having a good time. Tempos are slower and sludgy. I believe Boss actually makes a "grunge" pedal.
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
bands like audioslave, foo fighters, stone temple pilots, and silver chair are good, and 90's, but THAT DOES NOT MAKE THEM GRUNGE. listen to , motherlovebone, temple of the dog, green river, mudhoney, the melvins, screaming trees, and other pre 90's grunge. If you get the roots for the more popular grunge bands you can learn how they got their stlye. And also listen to some non grunge bands like pixies, vasolines, black flag who inspired nirvana and others. If you want to real, then listen to the underground. And let me clarify something stone temple pilots are just pearl jam clones, theyre from san diego not seattle.
for songwriting you need a bass will pulse at a beat with the drums and flow with the vocals. The drummer needs to kick back in the intro and then pound the chorus to shreds. For guitar you dont neccesarily need a lead player, but two is always better than one. If you lean more on the style of nirvana, then on your amp, you need to turn your treble and bass at max, and the middle at zero. Then turn you distortion at about 80% during the chorus and about 15% percent during the verse. Use mainly power chords, palm muting, bending strings during solos, and last but not least puts some melody in it,Dont feel like you have to be super heavy, because then its not even music anymore.Try just jamming, thats the best way to write a grunge song.
Quote by GrungeHippie26
bands like audioslave, foo fighters, stone temple pilots, and silver chair are good, and 90's, but THAT DOES NOT MAKE THEM GRUNGE. listen to , motherlovebone, temple of the dog, green river, mudhoney, the melvins, screaming trees, and other pre 90's grunge. If you get the roots for the more popular grunge bands you can learn how they got their stlye. And also listen to some non grunge bands like pixies, vasolines, black flag who inspired nirvana and others. If you want to real, then listen to the underground. And let me clarify something stone temple pilots are just pearl jam clones, theyre from san diego not seattle.

STP is no where near Pearl Jam clones. Theyre music is so different.