Page 1 of 2
The church I go to is pretty small, and I use a miked up Line 6 Spider III 30 watt as my amp/monitor. I saw a Marshall microstack on GC's website, for $300. idk if that's too small, heightwise or whatever. Should I go better or is the micro ok?

Note:
This would be for a FUTURE purchase, not something I would buy now. I just want to have a basic knowledge of what I want/should to get in the near future.
Equipment
-Epiphone Les Paul Special II
-Line 6 Spider III
-FBV Express MKII Pedal
-Ernie Ball Wah Pedal

Favorite Bands/Artists
-My Chemical Romance
-Skillet
-Muse
-Santana
-Eminem
I don't think you would find a Marshall of any type too great for a Church setting. I think a Fender or a Vox would be a much better route to go. I used my AC15 at my church for the first time yesterday, and when put through the mix it sounded wonderful.

The AC15 may be a little more than you're willing to spend though. I would try and find a used Fender Blues Junior. That should work pretty well. Especially if you're being mic'd up. You can generally find Blues Juniors for around the $325 range or so.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Oh right, I'm playing an Epiphone LP Special II, even though I could just use my uncle's Ibanez RG or RX (whichever one of those is the discontinued model)
Equipment
-Line 6 Spider III
-FBV Express MKII Pedal
-Ernie Ball Wah Pedal

Favorite Bands/Artists
-My Chemical Romance
-Skillet
-Muse
-Santana
-Eminem
i agree with the blues junior or ac15. the Classic 30 is another great amp if you can get it used. it's probably over your budget though.
i think classic 30. as for marshalls being to much my friend used to use his tsl602 in church
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
Quote by RHCPFitz
Get something with godly tone.

haha lmao i love that dude.

i'll check out that AC15 and that Fender
Equipment
-Line 6 Spider III
-FBV Express MKII Pedal
-Ernie Ball Wah Pedal

Favorite Bands/Artists
-My Chemical Romance
-Skillet
-Muse
-Santana
-Eminem
it depends what kind of music your church plays. My Fender Frontman 212R is close to perfect for my churches music, but i played at another church in Melbourne and it was so off its not funny.

also ive found if you go from your pedal to a direct box then your amp you get a much better sound, and you can use the amp as a foldback.

also my mate uses an Orange Rockerverb somthing or other, it sounds AMAZING
Last edited by MitchRB at Apr 17, 2011,
Quote by RHCPFitz

Madison Divinity for a theme-based amp
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs

And you don't even play it... you just hold it over your head, looking menacing, for a good 15 minutes, until the crowd realises you're not actually gonna throw it on them
Then you leave
The tattoos and facial expression are key.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
You should play a heavily distorted riff with your amp cranked to 11 I've always wanted to do that in church
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
Quote by guitarpatrick66
peavey 6505 with a mesa cab

hahahahah my church rig used to be a peavey 5150 and mesa 2x12
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Dr Z Maz 18 is ideal for Church gigs.

Click the link in my sig for find out more about the amp.

Topic: Maz Jr. for Church Gigs...
http://ztalk.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=maz18&thread=36932&page=1#422893
Any amp with satans rule and **** you written on it
jokes apart i second the 6505 but its only made for metalll
I am no christian but i dont think that they'l allow you to play metal
unless its by christian metal bands like war of ages
on a side note dress like gorgoth,the next time you play at the church
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Quote by reggaebassman
You should play a heavily distorted riff with your amp cranked to 11 I've always wanted to do that in church

I've actually played some pretty heavy distortion for some stuff for meaty power chords and some shreddy licks. It was hilarious seeing the expressions of many elderly in a predominantly southern gospel style song while I played a distorted solo. The pastor grinned though...

Being relevant to your thread...I second the Fender Blues Junior/Vox AC15 suggestions. Since this is for future reference, I'm guessing you don't mind if we suggest things higher than like $300-$500? Dr. Z would be good. Those Bugera V-22/BC-30 combos work. A fender tube with an overdrive would sound great too. Pretty much clean with pedals for dirt is the key for working well with a variety of sounds and styles.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I'll be using some pretty heavy distortion in church today! I use the clean channel on my Vox and boost it with my CM2 with gain all the way. Sounds stellar. And appropriate
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
vox ac4tv
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
as i said i am not a christian,i've been to the church once on xmax with my friend
but what do you guys play at church actually
christian rock?
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
I'd look into a Rocktron Utopia and a 2x12 Cab.
Will do everything you need for church, easy to transport and features an awesome tone.
Quote by Business
And you don't even play it... you just hold it over your head, looking menacing, for a good 15 minutes, until the crowd realises you're not actually gonna throw it on them
Then you leave

Anyways, A Peavey Valveking 112 or a Peavey Classic 50 will do just fine, I've been using my Valveking for over 3 years in our youth band and it does perfectly, it's loud enough to not mic up, but I mic it up anyways so I can hear myself through the monitors.
Quote by MitchRB
it depends what kind of music your church plays. My Fender Frontman 212R is close to perfect for my churches music, but i played at another church in Melbourne and it was so off its not funny.

also ive found if you go from your pedal to a direct box then your amp you get a much better sound, and you can use the amp as a foldback.

also my mate uses an Orange Rockerverb somthing or other, it sounds AMAZING

Melbourne where? There is a Melbourne here in Florida. Also, I used to have my amp connected to a box but didnt really like it, I couldnt control the volume coming out of the monitor (only my Line6). I have my Line 6 on an amp stand with a mic boom attatched now.

This will all be for future (1-2 years) purchases so I can have a real amp setup with multiple stomboxes. First I need a job and some...er a lot of $$$$

EDIT: Also, can someone explain to me what preamps, tube amps, amp heads, and cabs are? And does like 2x15 mean the size? Muchos gracias
Equipment
-Line 6 Spider III
-FBV Express MKII Pedal
-Ernie Ball Wah Pedal

Favorite Bands/Artists
-My Chemical Romance
-Skillet
-Muse
-Santana
-Eminem
Last edited by DigitalPimpSlap at Apr 17, 2011,
Quote by DigitalPimpSlap
Melbourne where? There is a Melbourne here in Florida. Also, I used to have my amp connected to a box but didnt really like it, I couldnt control the volume coming out of the monitor (only my Line6). I have my Line 6 on an amp stand with a mic boom attatched now.

This will all be for future (1-2 years) purchases so I can have a real amp setup with multiple stomboxes. First I need a job and some...er a lot of $$$$

EDIT: Also, can someone explain to me what preamps, tube amps, amp heads, and cabs are? And does like 2x15 mean the size? Muchos gracias

lol Melbourne in Australia mate

http://www.fender.com.au/amplification/images/jazzmaster_ul_th.jpg
The box on the top is what they call a head (i call it a top personally), the bottom box is a cab.

a tube amp basically justhas vacuum tubes in in it to make it louder.

a preamp makes a low-level input loud, before going into an amplifier.

x is the number of speakers, y is the size. 2x15 cabs are amps 2 15 inch speakers in em.

EDIT:
Quote by deepsal
what do you guys play at church actually
christian rock?

Yea, most churches nowadays play christian rock. about 50 or 60 percent of it sounds fairly mainstream (Hillsong, Planetshakers, C3 etc.)
Last edited by MitchRB at Apr 17, 2011,
Quote by MitchRB
a tube amp basically justhas vacuum tubes in in it to make it louder.

Wrong.

A tube amp is an amp that uses vacuum tubes (like the ones found in old radios) to clip the signal, where as a solid state amp uses transistors to clip the signal. While tube amps are often perceived as being louder since they produce more even-order harmonics which are more pleasing to the human ear (and solid state amps produce more odd-order harmonics), neither amp is actually louder than the other.

Quote by MitchRB
a preamp makes a low-level input loud, before going into an amplifier

Again, wrong.

A preamp is basically in charge of the EQing stage in the signal. While it does affect the volume slightly, the power amp is what actually makes the signal louder. If you connected a preamp to a cab you would still have a line level signal.
get a 666 halfstack with devil horns coming out of the top as a mod, then put the gain all the way up and play holy wars by megadeth

seriously, get a valveking thats cheap and good sound quality for a short church thing...
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Wrong.

A tube amp is an amp that uses vacuum tubes (like the ones found in old radios) to clip the signal, where as a solid state amp uses transistors to clip the signal. While tube amps are often perceived as being louder since they produce more even-order harmonics which are more pleasing to the human ear (and solid state amps produce more odd-order harmonics), neither amp is actually louder than the other.

Again, wrong.

A preamp is basically in charge of the EQing stage in the signal. While it does affect the volume slightly, the power amp is what actually makes the signal louder. If you connected a preamp to a cab you would still have a line level signal.

well wikipedia has screwed me again :S
Well, if it's a ways off for you then I these would be good amps...

Vox AC15-with overdrive pedals
Vox AC30-with overdrive pedals
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe-with overdrive pedals
Fender Blues Deluxe-with overdrive pedals
Peavey Classic 30-kind of fendery clean with more midrange, british sounding overdrive
Traynor YCV50-has quite warm clean channel and dark yet british voiced lead channel
Traynor YCV40wr-bit more fendery
Egnater Rebel 20/30-decent range of tones. might need an overdrive pedal
Egnater Tweaker-good cleans. will need an overdrive pedal to switch from dirty to clean
Egnater Renegade-little pricey for you perhaps? might find it used and it has good tones
Blackstar HT-40-nice clean channel, cool lead channel, might need softer overdrive pedal
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by i_am_metalhead

Again, wrong.

To be fair, the preamp brings the signal up to line level.

Quote by MitchRB
well wikipedia has screwed me again :S

Wikipedia isn't really a reliable source. If you don't have the answers, youre probably better off not giving false information
Quote by denied
To be fair, the preamp brings the signal up to line level.

Yea, but its still not really amplifying it. If you wanna get technical, OD/distortion pedals are technically considered preamps.
Quote by DigitalPimpSlap
The church I go to is pretty small, and I use a miked up Line 6 Spider III 30 watt as my amp/monitor. I saw a Marshall microstack on GC's website, for $300. idk if that's too small, heightwise or whatever. Should I go better or is the micro ok?

Note:
This would be for a FUTURE purchase, not something I would buy now. I just want to have a basic knowledge of what I want/should to get in the near future.

I play in an almost identical setting as you. I'm really happy with latest valvetronix series from Vox.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-VT20-Plus-20W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=H67603

The new VT20/40+ are reasonably priced very versatile and more than loud enough for the average sanctuary or fellowship hall.

The sanctuary we hold youth services in holds about 200 people a little less actually

I play everything from traditional praise music to White Cross covers at Church

My little 20 watter with it's tube preamp. Can easily cut through the mix that includes a drummer during worship services.

The Vox VT20+ sounds good for just about any genre I've tried so far.

Even when I'm playing secular stuff like metalcore that little VT+ just keeps delivering.

Quote by diceksox1809
I don't think you would find a Marshall of any type too great for a Church setting. I think a Fender or a Vox would be a much better route to go. I used my AC15 at my church for the first time yesterday, and when put through the mix it sounded wonderful.

The AC15 may be a little more than you're willing to spend though. I would try and find a used Fender Blues Junior. That should work pretty well. Especially if you're being mic'd up. You can generally find Blues Juniors for around the $325 range or so.

Before wasting money on a one trick pony like a Blues Jr.

Or any tube amp that cost less than $800 for that matter.

They're all one trick ponies and are basically rubbish for everything else.

You'll only need one of everything in your pedal board to get them to make more than one sound. Stomp boxes add up fast and you need to be prepared to spend that money...

Don't let anyone try to convince you of anything different.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
i beg to differ with diceksox1809. i used a marshall amp for our youth program and it sounded freaking sweet with my line 6 on "line 6 insane".
Quote by MitchRB
i beg to differ with diceksox1809. i used a marshall amp for our youth program and it sounded freaking sweet with my line 6 on "line 6 insane".

I hope to God you are joking.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
I hope to God you are joking.

Sadly, he's probably not. I've been playing in churches on and off for about 4 and a half years now, and I've seen more than one youth band have a bunch of people with spiders on insane for their distorted tone. It makes me sad. Very sad.

EDIT: God hopes they are joking too.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
It's called a JCA20H. Get it - it was basically made for this situation.

Otherwise on a bigger budget - Orange Tiny Terror. Any single channel amp w/ a 1x12 cabinet will work wonders.
Quote by RHCPFitz

This.

But if you have the ability to mike your amp, don't worry about volume output. Get something with the sound you want. I think all the Blues Jr. or AC15 recommendations are right on.
Page 1 of 2