I have never touched a guitar in my life. Can somebody please point me in the right direction as to where I should get started? I am not trying to spend ca$h on guitar lessons so I will be self-taught by videos and other various things. This is my current set-up: Epiphone Les Paul Traditional PRO Wine Red, 15W Line 6 Spider IV and Mogami Gold instrument cable. Please help!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Rawck out with your cawck out!
Quote by Kilty Boxers
Rofl Line 6!!!!
That was helpful!

OP, try http://www.justinguitar.com/ and his youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoe . Dude's got loads of video lessons, all free, covering everything from the most absolute basics up to quite complex stuff and every single thing inbetween. There's really not much point looking anywhere else, at least in terms of getting started.
You're right, Jimi the Clapt what you need is a new amp.
Hi, you're better than me. Have a nice day!
Quote by Kilty Boxers
Rofl Line 6!!!!

Thanks for laughing at my amp. I will upgrade eventually. It's not like I can even tell the difference at my skill level.
Okay, yes, the line 6 spider is a bad amp. But for now, it would be fine. You can always get a better amp later if you decide guitar is right for you.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Well did someone tell you that it was a good amp?
Hi, you're better than me. Have a nice day!
Quote by grohl1987
OP, try http://www.justinguitar.com/ and his youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoe . Dude's got loads of video lessons, all free, covering everything from the most absolute basics up to quite complex stuff and every single thing inbetween. There's really not much point looking anywhere else, at least in terms of getting started.

Thank you for the help! I will check it out!
Quote by Kilty Boxers
Well did someone tell you that it was a good amp?

My friend said it would be good for a beginner. He said I wouldn't be able to tell the difference in tone plus the included fx. I plan on eventually upgrading to a tube amp.
Looks like pretty good starting gear. What strings are you currently using, Have you changed from the original set of strings? If not then when you get more strings you shouldn't use anything thicker than a set of 10s while you're starting out. A set of 8s, 8.5s or 9s is best for a beginner. Also, Don't press too hard on the strings. Just press down on them enough to touch the fret(s) and don't hold your palm against the back of the neck, Hold your thumb on it instead. And I recommend learning about guitar setup (Though not necessarily immediately) but don't go trying to set your guitar up when you're not quite sure what you're doing.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Apr 17, 2011,
Quote by Gargoyle2500
Looks like pretty good starting gear. What strings are you currently using, Have you changed from the original set of strings? If not then when you get more strings you shouldn't use anything thicker than a set of 10s while you're starting out. A set of 8s, 8.5s or 9s is best for a beginner. Also, Don't press too hard on the strings. Just press down on them enough to touch the fret(s) and don't hold your palm against the back of the neck, Hold your thumb on it instead. And learn about guitar setup but don't go trying to set your guitar up when you're not quite sure what you're doing.

I am currently using the issued strings that the guitar came with. I have a set of Ernie Ball Regular Slinky that I purchased.
I would of killed for gear that good when i first started (i know Line 6, but my frist amp really was that bad). Once you have a valve combo, you'll have a pretty nice rig.

Theres some nice sounding affordable valve amps out there, such as Bugera, Jet City and Peavey's 6505+ combo. Once you eventually buy a valve amp, researching those brands would be a good way to start finding the amp you're looking for.

String wise, my preference is Ernie Ball 10-46 tuned to E standard and 11-48 for D, but feel free to experiment.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 17, 2011,
i would recommend learning some basic chords first, then move on to power chords and simple leads. you can find lessons here on UG, on youtube, or there are plenty of websites, just google what you want to learn. as far as your gear goes, you have some great starting gear, and to everyone that's putting down your amp, they are good beginner amps and the more expensive line 6 amps sound great. on the strings issue, it's all about preference, i like 11's myself for standard to drop C and a 12's for anything lower
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
It's just a gutar though, so you can still play anything you can play on other guitars. Don't let yourself be restricted by the title maaaaan.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
If I were you, I wouldnt really think about expensive tube amps, because their "sound" is a matter of your own taste and prefference, wich you're going to evolve with time and playing.

And forget about Line6 haters, I did my first whole year of playing on a 15watt Spider, and I totally miss the little bastard, even with my own tube amp. The spiders are a great tool to find your own taste and mess with settings/effects, awesome for its price tbh.
Quote by Szneka
If I were you, I wouldnt really think about expensive tube amps, because their "sound" is a matter of your own taste and prefference, wich you're going to evolve with time and playing.

And forget about Line6 haters, I did my first whole year of playing on a 15watt Spider, and I totally miss the little bastard, even with my own tube amp. The spiders are a great tool to find your own taste and mess with settings/effects, awesome for its price tbh.

Yep, this is pretty much it. I'd definitely recommend a modeling amp to a beginner. They really help new players to find the sound they want to be making. With all the effects and models, you can get a really good facsimile of the sound you want to get. Once you noticed that you've not changed any settings on your modeller for a month or two, that's when you know you've found "your sound," and should start building your collection towards that gear.

Also, TS. That LP should last you as long as you want it to. I would honestly say that you have a very good set-up for a beginner.

Disregard all these Line 6 haters; it's like 70% bandwagon, 25% experience from people who had this as their first amp and didn't know shit about amplifiers, and 5% jealous rivalry from Peavey Vyper users.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
What the op needs to do is burn his Line 6 and buy a $2000 Marshall amp.

Obviously I'm joking, I'm ashamed at some of the responses that were made by some people in this thread. He's never touched a guitar before, and you're more worried about his amp, which even isn't that bad? Shouldn't he be more worried about learning how to properly hold his guitar?

Anyways, in terms of free internet resources, Justin Sandercoe is definitely one of the best internet resources out there. There's also the stickies in the guitar technique forum. In terms of proper technique (posture, how to hold a pick, how to properly pick, how to practice), you have Ug's own Freepower (who pretty much wrote the sticky in the guitar technique forum). It's a lot of information to read all at once, but I recommend you read the stickies first just to get an idea of what you should be doing, watch a few of Freepower's videos, and start on the very first lessons on Justin Sandercoe's website.
Other then the fact they have shots to cure you....... You might want to reconsider not taking lessons.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Dude, RETURN THE AMP!!! That was my first(and only) guitar amp. It is terrible compared to any other. Go get one by any other brand, seriously. That amp does not have a clean setting. It may say clean, but plug your guitar in and hear the distortion. The only advantage to that is that it gets loud...very loud. The volume control isn't precise at all. I hate it so much that I don't plug my electric into it most of the time

If you don't believe me, try your guitar on the Line 6 and any other amp. Then you will believe me
line 6 is better than a fender frontman 15g at least..
get a marshall one. better and reliable too.
I've played on a line 6 spider IV once.
It was better than my starter amp.
That is all.

Also, Jimi the Clapt, you should probably look at Justinguitar and Google.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by coombesyboy
line 6 is better than a fender frontman 15g at least..
get a marshall one. better and reliable too.

Line 6 may be good but the spider 15w is terrible . The 30w is surprisingly good, and it's worth spending another 20-30 to get another brand or getting the 30w(but I believe that is 100 more)
I think he needs to play a little while and see if he even wants to stick with it before he buys another amp.....that's just me though

To answer the original question, justinguitar.com is awesome, but I recommend the rock house videos. I bought the dvd's when I first started playing and pretty much learned everything I know basically off of them. It starts with basic chords, power chords, bar chords, and then gets into pentatonic scales, soloing, etc. Pretty much everything you need to get from brand new to passable and able to play songs and look cool.

here is a LINK
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
Amp is fine, justinguitar is great, let us know how it goes and ignore the ignorant...