I'm on a kick at the moment of building an army of cheap guitars. Yeah, I could put all the money into one or two really good guitars, but where's the fun in that? At the moment I'm pretty protective of all my guitars. So I want 4-5 cheap ones that I can mod up and trash, take to practise, all that stuff. I was thinking of going with no-name brands until I saw the price of most Squiers has dropped a little this year. A brand I've heard of before at £180 is more tempting than a £150 brand that doesn't even have its own website. So I'm wondering if Squier would do the job.

Of course I could look at reviews, but reviews of Squier gear inevitably comes down to a bunch of new players giving everything 10/10. Also there aren't any specific models I'm looking at yet, more just generally browsing. Buying in stores defeats the point of getting them cheap too, so I'll be buying blind online, so no "try before you buy" for me.

Basically I just want to see what people think of the brand as a whole; specifically I'd like to get an idea of what the quality control is like. I've played a few Squiers before myself but it's hard to get a fix on how consistent a brand is from just three guitars. So opinions from people who have played many Squiers would be very much appreciated. Also, since I'll probably end up modding these, it'd be nice to know if anyone's run into any problems with getting standard parts to fit, e.g. I know Affinity models have shallower bodies and routings but I can't find any info on the depth of the other models.

First person to mention Agile (not available here) or Vintage (had a lot of bad experience with them) gets a stiff slap around the chops.
My first guitar was a squier allinone (I think) strat. It was terrible. Everything about it was terrible. DO NOT get the cheap squiers because everything will break and the guitar sounds like shit. On the other hand, a few years later I picked up a squier telecaster custom II as a cheap blues guitar. This thing is sweet, I often play it still. The sound is pretty great with it's duncan designed p90s. The only flaws I've found with this guitar are the tuners because they go out of tune so very easily and the knobs but those are an easy fix. I'm sure if I upgraded the hardware it'd be a great guitar but I don't use it enough for that. Anyway don't worry I'm no amateur. Check out youtube for some samples of the sound from this guitar. I'm thinking of doing one myself since people don't seem to believe anything I say about my tele..
Squier is pretty sweet, I have a tele custom from them, and I love it, though I'm gonna replace the pickups
Anyone want to weigh in on the Vintage Modified models? I think those and the Classic Vibe ones are the ones I'd end up grabbing, given the Standards have a bad rep and I already assumed the Affinities and Bullets aren't much more than pretty firewood.
I actually use an affinity tele and love it. Granted I don't have the budget to upgrade right now as my wife and I both lost our jobs and had to use tax money for bills. I've had it for 2 years and love it to death. It has pretty good tone and an awesome neck, my wife who only plays fender strats even likes playing it given how good it feels. If you can mod it, then go for it, because I don't know if I'd ever sell it as it has been that good. Also I might have gotten very very lucky though.
I own a squire telecaster standard. It sounds fine, and plays fine. The intonation is in need of almost constant tweaking though. I could probably remedy this with better hardware.
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
I've only played their basses from the Vm series I found them to be slighlty better than their Fender MIM counterparts.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Acceptable Squier Guitars by series (opinions based on specs and experience):
Bullet -> Skip*
Affinity -> Only good for moding*
Standard -> Get Tele only for modding; Skip Strat *
Standard Special -> Skip
Artist -> Get Strat for modding**, Skip Tele
Deluxe -> Skip
Obey Graphic ->skip
Vintage Modified -> get
Classic Vibe -> get*

Exceptions:
Duo Sonic -> Skip
Jaguar ->skip
Mustang Bass -> skip
Hello Kitty -> get*
Telecaster Thinlines -> Get Vintage Modified version, Skip Classic Vibe.*

*I have owned, or do own, one of these guitars.
**Not available in North America, recommendation based on specs.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
i have the standard...i quite like it. gonna change the pickups in it to get a different sound though cos im fine with the singles in my jag
I have a 2002 20TH Anniversary Affinity strat. Other then the weak pups and light bridge it's a good guitar.

If you mod one of these your guitar will kick ass.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
having played both at separate timescales, if you have never played a fender and play a squier, you'll think it's great, but then when you play the fender variant, you will wonder how you even dealt with the previous guitar.
My cousin has a HSS Squier Bullet Strat and it sounded surprisingly good stock. I did my research on these and this is what I found:

1) They changed the design on these, anything before 2008 was made of plywood. The new ones are made of solid basswood.

2) Pre 2008 have thinner bodies. After 2008 they have a body thickness close to an American strat.

3)Those cheap pickups actually sound good, they are supposedly built in the same factory as Duncan Designed.

4) If you don't know how to set up a guitar correctly, these will sound like shit no matter what.

So my suggestion is that if you buy a Squier Bullet Strat, only buy one built 2008 or later-they have close to full body thickness and made of solid basswood.

You will be surprised by this cheapy.
Quote by Alucard817
I have a 2002 20TH Anniversary Affinity strat. Other then the weak pups and light bridge it's a good guitar.

If you mod one of these your guitar will kick ass.

I had one of those. It played very well.
So, the general consensus is that the Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified models should be good enough for general practise/thrashing/backup use, and everything else should be kept clear of? As I suspected.
Quote by grohl1987
So, the general consensus is that the Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified models should be good enough for general practise/thrashing/backup use, and everything else should be kept clear of? As I suspected.

there are good and bad to be found in any of those series. the thing with squier is you have to take the time to play a bunch and find the good ones. the series you mention do yield better results but i've played turds in those as well. i'd highly suggest that you just take some time and play a bunch to see what the necks feel like. you'll replace the pickups, the electronics and probably the tuners anyway.
Anything above the Bullet series and is not made in China is a half decent guitar, I have a Affinity strat made in Indonesia, great wonderful neck on the thing, everything else sucked so, so I replaced everything with very expensive parts, and it's practically a intermediate level sounding guitar.

Had to get the frets leveled cause the frets looked like they were hammered in by a 2 year old. And it's not the greatest lead guitar, but it gets the job done.
I bought my girlfriend an Affinity Stratocaster and played on it for a while as I worked out the kinks. Overall I didn't have to do much. I own a telecaster standard which is also a great guitar but I am probably going to sell it to a friend. I don't think Squiers are bad guitars at all for the most part. Wouldn't buy a bullet series but any line above that will contain some gems.
Quote by Ippon
MIK Squier Pro Tone Series (1997), MIC Squier Classic Vibe, MIJ Squier other than the pricier SQ and JV Series.

The Pro tones were Made in Japan not korea thats why they are so good. I used to have a Protone Telicaster that I sold for $200 a few yrs ago when I needed cash, now I kick my ass for geting rid of it. I even had a JB jr modded to fit in the bridge it sounded killer.
You should never generalize a brand with one opinion on their quality.

If you were to summarize Ibanez, the general consensus of the brand would be that they are not that amazing because they have a lot more crappier, lower-quality guitars than they do higher-quality ones.

There are good ones and there are bad ones, you just have to find the best they offer.
to kangaxxter I'm curious what you didn't like about the cv thinline. I have one and love it and before I bought mine I looked online and only read good things about the guitar.
Quote by Pac_man0123
You should never generalize a brand with one opinion on their quality.

If you were to summarize Ibanez, the general consensus of the brand would be that they are not that amazing because they have a lot more crappier, lower-quality guitars than they do higher-quality ones.

There are good ones and there are bad ones, you just have to find the best they offer.
True, but Ibanez make a range of guitars from £200 to £3000. Squier's range is about £120 to £220. It's a little different.

Also I'm mostly interested in the quality control here, which should, at least for most companies, be the same across all their lines. I've not heard of companies prioritising particular models when it comes to that.

Quote by monwobobbo
there are good and bad to be found in any of those series. the thing with squier is you have to take the time to play a bunch and find the good ones. the series you mention do yield better results but i've played turds in those as well. i'd highly suggest that you just take some time and play a bunch to see what the necks feel like. you'll replace the pickups, the electronics and probably the tuners anyway.
That's the thing, if I were to go and get them in shops then the price goes up and it defeats the point of getting a couple of cheap beaters.

I actually already know what the necks are like and yeah, I assumed I'd end up modding 'em. Like I've said, it's more then overall quality control I'm keen to hear about, since although playing three gives me an idea of what the neck widths are like and what the weights may be like, it's hard to judge whether buying blind online is worth it from a sample pool of just three guitars.
Quote by Robbgnarly
The Pro tones were Made in Japan not korea thats why they are so good. I used to have a Protone Telicaster that I sold for $200 a few yrs ago when I needed cash, now I kick my ass for geting rid of it. I even had a JB jr modded to fit in the bridge it sounded killer.
Nah uh! I have 7, all say MIK. 4 Strats, 2 Teles, and a PBass. They were made from '96 to '98, mostly at Cort factory.

Check out the following for more info:

http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/theprotonepage.htm
http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/protonecatalogue.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier_Stratocaster#Pro-Tone_Series

Quote by fuzzpedal
to kangaxxter I'm curious what you didn't like about the cv thinline. I have one and love it and before I bought mine I looked online and only read good things about the guitar.

The VM has better pickups, and felt more solid (ha, ha, Semi-hollow being "solid") in the hand. The CV didn't quite feel well enough in the hand plus, IMO it would need a few modifications to make it up to snuff. The CV is made out of better wood, but it's also lighter, which makes me think that there's less of it.

Don't get me wrong, The CV Thinline is still a good guitar, but all things being equal, the VM beats it for the same price tag. If you have the choice, one should choose the VM, but, we all know, sometimes you just gotta take what the store has when they have it.

EDIT:Plus, Squier tends to overfinish or underfinish their maple necks; meaning they're usually very glossy and "sticky," or you can wear through them very quickly with aggressive playing, and they can get discolored. Though, I might be biased since I'm a much bigger fan of Rosewood.

Finally, I tend to like the modern style bridge on the VM plus the 24.75 scale and the 7.25 neck radius makes vibrato a dream to play.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Apr 18, 2011,