I read somewhere that learning how to play a note on every string is beneficial. But, how does one go about identifying a note? let alone on differnet strings that have different pitches. for example, im not sure if you can play a note on the e string and play it on the low E string. it would sound different.... idk. I dont know anything about music theory.
It's meaning you should be able to know where all the E notes are on the fretboard for example. You have the low e string, then another e at the 12th fret, another on the 7th fret of the 5th string, 2nd fret of the 4th string.... and so on. If you can find all these E notes, then you can move scales through all these positions a lot easier
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Octaves, thats what your talking about. Youtube it. 'What are octaves?" and learn the notes in the 'Chromatic Scale". I think that would help.
oh, so thats what are octaves are? well damn. thanks guys. ill look into it.
Quote by Iblis92
I read somewhere that learning how to play a note on every string is beneficial. But, how does one go about identifying a note? let alone on differnet strings that have different pitches. for example, im not sure if you can play a note on the e string and play it on the low E string. it would sound different.... idk. I dont know anything about music theory.

learn the chromatic scale and learn octaves. Then keep messing around till you know the entire neck.

after playing for awhile you'll be able to tell notes of the same tone but different octave. hope that helps.

Bottom line is learn the scales even if its just that one and start weaning yourself off tabs

E-|--|--|--|--|-(A)|--|--| A is on the 5th fret
A-|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--| A is the open string and 12th fret
D-|--|--|--|--|--|--|--(A) A is the 7th fret
G-|--|(A)-|--|--|--|--|--| A is the 2nd fret
B-|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--| A is on the 10th fret
E-|--|--|--|--|-(A)-|--|--| A is the 5th fret

Thats an example of where all the A notes are between the first 7 frets. An easy way to learn octaves is to pick a note, then go up 2 strings higher then skip 1 fret and you'll play that octave. Or when you play a "power chord" its the last note from the root.
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
Last edited by reggaebassman at Apr 17, 2011,
The 'root' note is the note or pitch that the chord in centred upon. For example the root note in an E5 power chord would be an E.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay
I have a video that I did that addresses exactly this problem :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci6aTve_fAU

It's not a great video -- something I just threw together -- but if you do those three drills for 10 to 15 minutes 2 or 3 times every day - you will know where all the natural notes are on the neck in a week.
Quote by Iblis92

First off, in standard tuning the guitar strings are E A D G B and E -- memorize that.

the C major scale is C D E F G A B C

You can play it like this:

E ----------------------------------------------
A --3--5------------------------------------------
D ---------2--3--5---------------------------------
G --------------------2---4---5--------------------
B -----------------------------------------------
E -----------------------------------------------

Or like this:

E ----------------------------------------------
A ------------------------------------------------
D -------------------------------------------------
G ---5----------------------------------------------
B --------3--5--6-----------------------------------
E --------------------3--5--7---8--------------------

And a bunch of other places .... but learn that for now.