Hi! I'm Bryn, and this is the second in what I hope to be an ongoing/monthly/weekly series on getting to know your fellow UGers. I don't class myself as a regular here (far from it), but AG&C is my favourite forum on here and I'd hate to see it return to the dull place it once was.

Details

Height: 5'11" (180.3 cm)
Weight: 168 lb (76.2 kg)
Hair Colour: Brown, brown, boring brown
Eye Colour: As above (with hints of green)
Ethnic Heritage: Father is half Welsh, half english, Mother is of German descent
Language Fluencies: English, semi fluent in German
Infirmities: Various little injuries from karate and boxing, including a huge fat lip
Car: 2009 plate Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.4 (shared with mother...sucks being a poor student)

Background Information (The boring stuff no one really wants)

I've lived literally all my life (aside from the first few months, when my parents house
was being treated for woodworm) in an incredibly boring part of the United Kingdom; a small village called South Killingholme, between Hull and Grimsby.

Basically, take a map of the UK, trace your finger up the East coast until you reach a little indent, about halfway up. That's the River Humber, which is pretty much the most exciting part of my local area, and maps out roughly where I'm from.

My father is an oil tanker driver (and former bass player), and my mother, a music and math teacher of kids aged 3 to 11. I also have a younger brother, who I taught to play guitar and bass, and now plays in a local hardcore band.

After battling my way through a rough English comprehensive school, I hope to enroll on a Popular Music course at Hull University (Scarborough Campus) in September, and hopefully taking my musical career up a notch. Now onto the good bit...

Guitar and Me

I've always had a pretty personal relationship with the guitar. I love to take my guitar anywhere; to college, to the beach, anywhere I might get struck by the inspiration to write, or just jam out.

As a primarily acoustic player, coming from an electric background, I approach the instrument from a variety of different ways, the most important of which, is the tuning of the guitar.

I have never got on with standard tuning, despite teaching myself everything I could find, in EADGBe, (mostly using this site), I never felt really "inspired" to write acoustic music. It was then, that I discovered the beauty of open tunings, which is a subject of many threads I post in this forum, and somewhat defines me, and sets me aside from most other guitarists I know.

I never got lessons as a child, but I feel priveleged to live very close to some really incredible players, so the option of jamming with someone with tonnes more knowledge and experience than me has always been there.

This is something I've tried not to take for granted, but has greatly improved my theory knowledge and overall technique. It also gives me something to aspire to, as there's a challenge in every jam session, be it blues, jazz, rock or folk.

For the past 8 years, guitar has really given me an outlet for a lot of my feelings, that by nature I would bottle up, and really worry about, and has given me a source of creative enjoyment and a great conversation starter.

Equipment and Technique

For acoustics, I have a Walden GC630ce as my main gigging guitar, set up in open G. An absolute tank of a guitar, with a Red Cedar top and Indian Rosewood back and sides, and strung up with Elixir mediums (.013s). I plug this into my MXR 10 band EQ and a passive DI for live shows.

As a backup, I have a Yamaha APX-500 12 string, which is in open C, also strung with mediums, for that Leo Kottke deep, piano-like sound. I also make heavy use of capo's and slides in all my work.

My electric rig comprises of my trusty MiM Fender Telecaster, with an Orange Tiny Terror head and Orange 2x12 open back cabinet, loaded with v30s. I also have a fretless MiM Fender Jazz, for recording and sessioning for bands without bassists in my local area.

I am primarily a fingerstyle player, but I like to incorporate classical style right hand technique into my playing. This has led me to start developing my right hand nails, which sound great for hard blues and general fingerpicking, as I find just using the tips of your fingers makes your tone a little dull, whereas I love to have a bit of sparkle and, when called for, a bit of snarl to my guitar sound.

Bringing everything to a close

Well, I suppose thats everything anyone would ever want to know about me, and possibly a great deal more than most would even want to know, but its in my nature to waffle on about pointless drivel. Apologies to anyone who found this boring, but I felt that I should pack in as much information as I could.

If anyone feels like asking a question, or has any sort of query, I'd be only too happy to answer anything you throw at me.

All the best
Last edited by Stud_Muffin at Apr 26, 2012,
oh man .........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Quote by bxr_con
oh man .........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

It looks fine to me, whats the problem?
I see no problem. How long after playing electric did you switch to acoustic?
جورجيا الاباحى؟ أيها
Quote by Talk Box
I see no problem. How long after playing electric did you switch to acoustic?

Maybe its a bit long for some. I switched around my main instrument for the first 2/3 years or so, when I got into music, swapping between guitar, bass and drums, but it was after about 4 years of playing electric guitar. that I got into acoustic.
Quote by Venice King
Favourite artists?

Artists that inspire me, and that I love to listen to are: Iron and Wine, Bon Iver, The Decemberists, City and Colour, Blind Pilot, Mumford and Sons, Mastodon, Tarkio, Andy Mckee, The Tallest Man on Earth and Bob Dylan.

That said, I'll give most things a listen, as long as you can tell theres some thought behind the song, and that someones nurtured the idea into existance.
Wow, we have quite a few artists in common I've actually got Sam Beam's plectrum in my hand
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by Venice King
Wow, we have quite a few artists in common I've actually got Sam Beam's plectrum in my hand

Wow, I'd love to go see him live, but I've never heard of him playing in the UK. Still, for awesome music
Umm, I live in the U.K.... sorry man.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Quote by Venice King
Umm, I live in the U.K.... sorry man.

I should look harder for concert dates then, haha. Where abouts did you see him?

EDIT: I just got told by a friend that he's playing Latitude festival this year, I might have to make the pilgrimage down there...
Last edited by Stud_Muffin at Apr 17, 2011,
In Edinburgh a month ago, was a band set but definitely captured his music well.

Relevantly, I hope these kind of threads keep going.

EDIT: awesome.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Firstly, do you prefer the Kooks or the Zutons?

Secondly, what is your favo(u)rite part of living in the UK?

Edit: Thirdly, why is your name missing all vowels? It's so close to Bryan, which is the most perfect name in the world.

Last edited by GC Shred Off at Apr 18, 2011,
Quote by GC Shred Off
Firstly, do you prefer the Kooks or the Zutons?

Secondly, what is your favo(u)rite part of living in the UK?

Edit: Thirdly, why is your name missing all vowels? It's so close to Bryan, which is the most perfect name in the world.

1). Not really a huge fan of either, but if I was forced to choose, I'd say The Kooks.

2). Theres not a lot I like about the UK really, the weathers never any good, I don't agree with a lot of the things the government do/say and theres an awful lot of real wasters in the country. That said, I like traditional British food, roast beef/Yorkshire puddings etc.

3). Haha, I can't stand my name. A lot of Welsh names/words don't have vowels, and generally don't make any sort of sense.
Good stuff!

I love your choice of guitar, I totally dig my Washburn. What is the Open G tuning?
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
Good stuff!

I love your choice of guitar, I totally dig my Washburn. What is the Open G tuning?

Sorry for the long wait, I've been in Vegas for the past week or so, so I haven't been able to access a computor.

Its actually a Walden guitar, and the open G tuning I use is DGDGBD, but I sometimes switch it about with changing the B to either a Bb, for open Gm, to an A for open Gsus2 or to a C for open Gsus4.
what kind of strings do you use on your walden?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
really WGAF
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by patticake
what kind of strings do you use on your walden?

I've been an Elixir user for about 3 years, and I prefer using .12s or .13s, depending on what I'm playing (or how lazy I feel :p).

However, I have recently been thinking of trying out Cleartone strings, after a strong recommendation. Anyone got any good words on these?

Quote by Dix_Fix
really WGAF

If that stands for "who gives a f*ck", then perhaps you should be asking each of the people who have asked questions individually. Because they evidently do.

If not, please elaborate on what you mean, please.
Quote by Stud_Muffin
Sorry for the long wait, I've been in Vegas for the past week or so, so I haven't been able to access a computor.

Its actually a Walden guitar, and the open G tuning I use is DGDGBD, but I sometimes switch it about with changing the B to either a Bb, for open Gm, to an A for open Gsus2 or to a C for open Gsus4.

Hah! How did I not notice it was Walden and not Washburn!?
My God, it's full of stars!
Since you are self taught, what was one of the biggest mistakes you made as a beginner that you would change?
Quote by BoyLilikoi
Since you are self taught, what was one of the biggest mistakes you made as a beginner that you would change?

I learned bass first, and I never knew that I should keep my thumb over the top of the fretboard, which most people do.

As a result, when I play barre chords, or chords with a stretch, for example, minor add9 chords (Fmadd9=13511), my thumb is usually right on the middle of the neck.

I would also have learnt the classical style of fingerpicking much earlier, if I were to do it again.
Stud Muffin, question.. How can you be cuter than Bieber since '92 if he wasn't born until '94?

Not that I'm saying you're not! Even if you looked like this...

You'd still be better looking than Bieber.

Dysania:
The state of finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning.

Want that on a shirt? Check out my DistrictLines online store, Asixex

For that exact shirt, click here

ESP/LTD H-51
CRATE G-40-C
DIGITECH DF-7

I have been always delighted to people who learn themselves without help from a teacher. Congrats for that man.
Vintage guitars are not only musical instruments but they are the spirit of music history. Find a lot types of vintage guitars here.
forum clean-up? great thread, but unstuck

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.