Is it sacralidge to paint a perfectly good (fairly cheap but nice) guitar just because you like another color? If not, besides removing everything and taping the rest off, what would be the best method? Thanks.
tape it off and remove everything. you dont want to paint over lacquer i'm hoping... you MUST remove all the hardware, and if it has a bolt on neck, remove that too. sand down the guitar and then paint. please dont paint over top of the finish thats on there. and dear god, DONT try to paint with hardware still bolted to the thing...
remove it all and tape it off.

are you painting the entire guitar or just part of it? why would you need to tape it off?

edit: ^oh, tape off the hardware...

you have to remove everything possible from the guitar, including all the electronics.
Last edited by rickyj at Apr 17, 2011,
I must confess, im in the same boat as this guy... ive removed all the hardware, but not the electronics, because i have no, and never tried to, solder. Ive taped over the pickups at the moment, but lowered them insde the body of the guitar so they're almost flush with the cavity... think this iis ok ?
Dom, look... I Caught a PWOPER fish
Quote by KingHenrik1967
I must confess, im in the same boat as this guy... ive removed all the hardware, but not the electronics, because i have no, and never tried to, solder. Ive taped over the pickups at the moment, but lowered them insde the body of the guitar so they're almost flush with the cavity... think this iis ok ?

put them in plastic baggies and then wrap tape around them completely to make sure that no paint gets inside

do the same for the pots and switches(unscrew the bolts on the front and push them through the body, making sure not to break any solder connections)

seriously, you should buy a soldering iron. soldering is a pretty necessary skill for a guitar player to be able to do.
Last edited by rickyj at Apr 17, 2011,
Obviously removing all of the electronics and hardware. I think I was talking about taping off the neck/frets to prevent overspray. Want to paint the body and possibly the back of the neck. Headstock will stay stock color.
Quote by rokshox
Obviously removing all of the electronics and hardware. I think I was talking about taping off the neck/frets to prevent overspray. Want to paint the body and possibly the back of the neck. Headstock will stay stock color.

its not bolt on?

tape it off completely